Broke the SFRA and FRZ

Well, I broke the FRZ today... legally. I have a new job in Arlington and until I can move, my plan is to commute via air to Potomac and use a rental car I’ll leave waiting for me. It was nerve racking simply because I’m still getting comfortable with my new bird, but at the same time it was super easy. I recommend Potomac airfield and crew as well. Simply great to work with.

5 hours ago, gitmo234 said:

Well, I broke the FRZ today... legally. I have a new job in Arlington and until I can move, my plan is to commute via air to Potomac and use a rental car I’ll leave waiting for me. It was nerve racking simply because I’m still getting comfortable with my new bird, but at the same time it was super easy. I recommend Potomac airfield and crew as well. Simply great to work with.

Welcome to the area. I used to fly out of College Park (now out of Gaithersburg) but fly in and out of Potomac from time to time. Great small field. Marianne Buckley flies a nice Citabria out of there that she gives instruction in; tail wheel and aerobatic. I rent her Citabria from time to time. You will get used to the FRZ in no time. It's really just like having to file IFR every time you fly - but you have to talk on the phone and use the code.

Did you get a hanger there by any chance?

Regards,

Fernando

Hey Gitmo,

Potomac is a great field to fly out of. A couple of recommendations: make sure you shoot the GPS approach a couple of times during daylight and VMC, and do your first nightime arrival in the twilight - it is hard to pick out the field being nestled in the trees.

Also, having commuted from Potomac to Linden for a year (just South of Newark), I quickly learned that flying low under the airspace is by far the fastest way to go - IFR traffic often causes you to add a half an hour to the flight. BTW - I would always fly over Cecil County on my way North and South. Also, bear in mind that, While David does a great job clearing the field, the snow can cause airfield operations to come to a grinding halt in the winter. Also, I would recommend pre-heating in the winter, and the extra cost of a paved space goes a long way for your back.

Finally, numbers, numbers, numbers! Airspeed control is paramount at a small field like Potomac, and especially so for Mooneys. I flew a G model, and I would be at 80 MPH on approach, 75 on short approach, and around 72 in the roundout, depending on weight and wind. I have gone around more times than I like to admit at Potomac, and made one landing where I thought I was reaching the plane's physical limits to handle a crosswind (Don't worry about go-arounds in the FRZ - they are free - just keep your squawk!). If the crosswind (GUST!) is greater than 15 KTS, I would recommend not flying at Potomac, even if our Cessna brothers are. BTW - I know that I am biased, but Potomac is the best field in the DC area - hand's down - great choice!

Clear Skies!

Sean

Thanks! What you said makes sense. I’ve got a paved space too.

a couple of factors worked against me. 1) new to me airplane, 2) new complex sign off, 3) new airport, 4) new to flying into the Frz. It all added up to some nervousness. Combine that with a shorter field and some decent ground swells and it made for a rougher but okay landing. I came in via whino under the bravo and I think I’ll stick with that. Coming out today for the flight home was a different story. Smooth as can be. My first really really good landing. If I had a passenger that was sleeping, they would have stayed asleep. 

Now I’m looking forward to getting to the point where I can really start refining the operation, vs just gaining confidence and flying it. The commute is so much better via the air!!

• Like 1