New Paint Hawk Aircraft Painting

82Mike

25 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Question on paint, if you end up resealing your tanks, does the chemicals used in removing the sealant damage the paint?

My current plane I have had its tanks resealed by the previous owner. If definitely eats away at the paint!

32 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Question on paint, if you end up resealing your tanks, does the chemicals used in removing the sealant damage the paint?

Yes. It's best practice to get the tanks sealed prior to a full paint job.

if Hawk is able to do an excellent job for $11k,  why does the average seem to be $15k for mediocre quality jobs?  

Caveat Emptor. There are several shops in my area and the quotes are very widely separated for the same paint scheme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Mark89114 said:

if Hawk is able to do an excellent job for $11k,  why does the average seem to be $15k for mediocre quality jobs?  

Just like anything else, Joe is good and his work shows it.  I have no idea why the others can't do similar or even if they don't?  What I do know is that Hawk did tremendous on my plane?

This may sound really strange, but a hangar neighbor had his Commander 114 repainted two years ago by a shop in the Dominican Republic. He said it cost something like $4,500 and included the normal strip down and prep. While I can't say how well it will hold up over the long run,  the results look excellent.

• Like 1

This may sound really strange, but a hangar neighbor had his Commander 114 repainted two years ago by a shop in the Dominican Republic. He said it cost something like $4,500 and included the normal strip down and prep. While I can't say how well it will hold up over the long run,  the results look excellent.

Interesting, that's well within my range... I can go on vacation and get my plane painted at the same time.

Did they remove the controls and rebalance as required?

Did they sign the logbook with a FAA certificate number? If removing control surfaces I assume an A&P is required?

Do they have avionics shops in the DR too? ;-)

36 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Interesting, that's well within my range... I can go on vacation and get my plane painted at the same time.

Did they remove the controls and rebalance as required?

Did they sign the logbook with a FAA certificate number? If removing control surfaces I assume an A&P is required?

Do they have avionics shops in the DR too? ;-)

Don't recall the details, and since he has recently sold the Commander, he's no longer on the field.

You simply will not find a better paint job for a similar price than the complete job you'll get at Hawk. Joe is a stand up guy who can be trusted, a business owner who's also a painter, been in business for 30 years, knows what he's doing, as the long lines will attest to. Others gouge on paint prices because they can, and you're lucky if the job is as good as a Hawk job.

The guy with the Commander and the DR paint job hasn't flown through heavy rain yet, I'd wager. :P

• Like 1

On Friday, August 04, 2017 at 9:32 PM, 82Mike said:

You know it was not cheap $10,500 total, but that included all the body work.

Beautiful scheme, but given your statement, I guess you didn't shop around much. ;)

Manual paints all Bell Helicopters south of the border.  not only control surfaces off for paint.  his shop looks like the entire airplane is hanging on wires.  I live in nc and Miami is half way for me.  750 miles from Miami.  lots of land in between and you pass directly overhead Exuma international.  Got a house in that country full of kids if you would like to babysit while you are waiting for paint.  believe the phone number is 809 762 8581  or 809 913 9111 home  

manual mora 1.jpg

manual mora 2.jpg

manual mora 3.jpg

manual mora 4.jpg

47 minutes ago, fantom said:

Beautiful scheme, but given your statement, I guess you didn't shop around much. ;)

Thank you.  I liked Joe and I liked the scheme that was a bit different  than what I normally see.

6 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

I think because he has low rent and his business model is painting 150-200 airplanes a year with a small crew that works long days. And he is willing to take a smaller profit per unit.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Definitely not what I pictured the facility to look like.

Yeah there's no paint booth. The overspray settles out on the plane. Or enough airflow to flush the overspray and you get  dust in the paint. Either way, not optimal. 

Also what kind of alodine, primer and paint are they using? NAPA lacquer looks fine as shiny for about 18mo on the ramp, then it chalks and breaks down. 

Imron red is 1000$ a gallon, and that's Joe's cost. 

1 minute ago, jetdriven said:

Yeah there's no paint booth. The overspray settles out on the plane. Or enough airflow to flush the overspray and you get  dust in the paint. Either way, not optimal. 

Also what kind of alodine, primer and paint are they using? NAPA lacquer looks fine as shiny for about 18mo on the ramp, then it chalks and breaks down. 

Imron red is 1000$ a gallon, and that's Joe's cost. 

But by the same token, why would an owner spend seemingly tens (hundreds?) of thousands on a paint job for a Lear or Citation with the risk of overspray?

What do people shop for the cheapest price regardless of quality? Many owners aren't savvy enough to notice the difference, and by the time they pick it up it's too late. They've got your money and the job is done.

Paint shops sand and then buff the overspray off. That cuts the hard top layer off that nice paint job you just paid for. Then they touch up the rivets and panel seams they burned through with the buffer, with a brush. So now you have a semi-shiny, swirl marked, thin paint job with touch ups all over it. Ive seen silver and white pearl planes they've done this to and you can see every touch up from ten feet away. It's no different than pasting Dupli-color silver brush touch up paint over the 1/2" door ding on your ghost silver Mercedes-Benz. I've posted about this before. I visited 4 paint shops for my plane and worked in an aircraft paint shop back in 2000.  I'm not an expert,  but I've learned to know what I'm looking at. 

A proper paint booth is critical to a good job,  a nice supply of filtered cross flow air, well lit, and dust free. Ideally temperature and humidity controlled. The job you should see is the one right out of the gun,  there shouldn't be any re-work after the paper comes off. Not having a paint booth is a serious red flag for anyone shopping for a paint job.  There are many others, as well. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Imron just lasts. My J was painted with it in 1986.  It has always been hangared and I think cared for and it still pretty much looks like new. 

You were the first person to see my paint job on the stop home and I can attest you couldn't tell which plane was just painted. 

I did. Actually that was scheme designers work and so Is my plane, and we looked over all the similar designs to hone in on what you see here. The tail checkerboards are basically the same as @PTK.  The wingtip was my idea. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I did. Actually that was scheme designers work and so Is my plane, and we looked over all the similar designs to hone in on what you see here. The tail checkerboards are basically the same as @PTK.  The wingtip was my idea. 

I was unaware that Mooney hired Scheme designers to do this plane in 2009, Byron. I thought that was an in house concept