New Paint Hawk Aircraft Painting

82Mike

I was able to pick up 133DB from Hawk today.  I have to say that Joe had to be one if not the nicest guy I have ever dealt with.  The job he did on my J is simply outstandIng, and he was tremendous through the whole process.  I live in Naples so I am sure I was a pain in the butt some of the time (I could come up and see it every week or so), but Joe just took it all in stride.  I have included 1 picture here, but I have the whole process linked to my account if you wish to see it?  I can tell you this if you want your Mooney painted take it to Hawk!

IMG_0218.JPG

• Like 10

I was able to pick up 133DB from Hawk today.  I have to say that Joe had to be one if not the nicest guy I have ever dealt with.  The job he did on my J is simply outstandIng, and he was tremendous through the whole process.  I live in Naples so I am sure I was a pain in the butt some of the time (I could come up and see it every week or so), but Joe just took it all in stride.  I have included 1 picture here, but I have the whole process linked to my account if you wish to see it?  I can tell you this if you want your Mooney painted take it to Hawk!
IMG_0218.thumb.JPG.b0eeb61269f2b198672030ec6530a02d.JPG

Wow! Gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Skmoore63 said:

Wow! Very nice! Makes me want to get mine painted!! $$$$

You know it was not cheap $10,500 total, but that included all the body work.  And I took out the Ram Air, so Joe had to fill that hole.  He also put carbon fiber under the upper cowl.  I think this will stop the terrible cracking that happens on them?  It also included all new SS hardware (which are not painted so looks killer).  He does the wheel wells just spot on.  For the money "value" I think he is as good as it gets?

Thanks for comments, it is a little used "Ovation" scheme that I really like, but some may prefer the more common designs?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbridges said:

that's less than I expected.  looks great!

Thanks so much, I had the fun of a gear up 1 year ago.  At that moment I decided I was going to just redo the whole plane.  I put a zero time engine from Avamark in Ft. Lauderdale.  I had a Garmin 750 tied to an Aspen pro 1000, but it at Thomlinson now getting a G5, 2 more Aspen tubes, and a JPI900 with a new panel.  That will remove all the steam and vacuum.  The interior was redone when I bought it.  It has new "thick" gray smoked glass all around and new landing gear biscuits.  I will never get out of it what I have spent on it, but when I am finished it will be for sure one of the nicest "J's" around.  It has been a lot of fun really.  So coming from a bad thing on my part today was a big day to see.

Mike

Hawk does a great job and they are priced significantly less than other shops, some of which do lower quality work. 

A nice touch they take the entire airplane apart carefully and paint everything separate. Even the data plate gets drilled off and re-riveted on after the job is done. Another thing, Sean, their body man, is a wizard. I know what I'm doing and he found about 30 dents on the airplane just waking around it. They all disappeared later, along with the roof mounted air scoop hole patch and all the rivet lines under the cabin side windows. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

That just shows it pays to negotiate. We picked our C up from a Hawk a few weeks ago and paid $11,500 with a simpler scheme and no body work required. I saw your plane in the background in a few of the "naked" pictures Joe sent us. 

They both look great. Joe knows how to paint a Mooney; that's for sure. 

Jim

That is cool, but I don't know if was much negotiations rather just there was not a great deal of "body work", but Joe was so "cool" about doing everything.  He is just very easy to deal with and does really if not "show plane" quality is at least a 9 out 10 paint job for a very reasonable price.  I would no question use him any time I need paint.

11 hours ago, 82Mike said:

IMG_0218.JPG

Sweet love the style,colorscheme misjudged great 

2 hours ago, Rmag said:

That's actually a very good price.  Plane looks very nice in your pic!

I visited several shops and about 16k is the going rate. Some shops in Mena will do if for the Hawk price but they don't use Imron (one mixes NAPA paint thinner in Acry-Glo and doesn't have a paint booth) and couldn't tape a co to iPod curved line. the other sands the whole plane with sandpaper and ruins the alclad and rivets.  Joe does a great job and his price is at the low end of the range. Perhaps that's why he is booked solid for 6mo. 

Edited by jetdriven