Another annual survived

jaylw314

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

FWIW, a new scimitar prop, including new bulkhead, spinner was about $9000 3 years ago. The complete "kit" was far cheaper than the components. 

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

The price of $9500 is for the whole Hartzell kit.

The OH was done in TX for the previous owner, so they're out of the picture

Ditto. "The whole Hartzell kit" is the Scimitar with prop, bulkhead, spinner.

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed the prop shop people, and they quoted the following discrepancies in the propeller

·         The blades are under dimension at the sealing area, this is a high wear area that seals the lubrication in the hub and the weather outside of the hub. A rubber o-ring seals on to the aluminum blade shank and over time simply wears the shank down below manufacturers specification.

·         The Cylinder is scored internally. These cylinders are a stamped steel unit that is Cadmium plated, the rubber o-ring that seals the piston tends to wear through the cadmium plating and over time scores the cylinder wall.

@Cody Stallings, the blade issue sounds like wear over time and are not repairable, am I correct?  If so, then I will probably go ahead and get a new 2-blade Hartzell prop when I can afford it.