Another annual survived

jaylw314

Got through my second annual with no major hiccups.  Yay!  I'm holding my breath for something big next year, I've been lucky twice now.  Had it done at the nearby MSC last year for $3.6 AMU, this year I had it done with my local IA for $2.3 AMU.

Only significant issue is some grease leaking from one of the prop blades.  My IA thinks it's not urgent and will need a reseal eventually, but he worried about sending it to the prop shops in the region because they seem to overhaul everything.  I asked my friend who is an IA who said the same thing.  I just wonder how much grease is left and when it will run out.  I'll probably chicken out and send it in for a reseal this winter and hope for the best

On to the KT-74 install next week.  I asked my IA to install RG-400 cable so I don't have to pay the avionics shop to do it.  It's like I'm bleeding money :blink:

The hilarious thing was that my wife actually encouraged me to buy the plane because she thought it would help us save money for the RV-10's engine in 10 years.:rolleyes:  In all fairness, I did tell her that was a terrible reason to buy a plane (I think I laughed as well), but I think she just told me that because she wanted me to be happy.  I'm a lucky guy. :wub:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

The prop hub holds a lot of grease. If you're not getting globs of grease on your cowling and windshield, you're okay.

It would seem your IA feels the same.

Yeah, it's obvious but not a lot, and doesn't happen every flight.  

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The standard McCauley propeller on a J model can not be greased in the field, no zerk grease fitting are installed.  That's a Hartzell design.

Just one more thing to like about my Hartzell 3 blade . . . . I lube it every year. 

Its actually a "zerk" fitting. A special but very old design of fitting that grabs a grease gun nozzle so one can squirt grease into a closed vessel. Some props have them some don't. Some props drizzle a little grease in the summer but not in the winter. Sometimes it just drizzles a little all the time down the blade. Park your blade level and see if any comes out or is it just when you park it with a vertical blade setting?

Question for the day- why do you always park a wooden prop level?  (a little historical note here)

Horizontal prop parking...?

• For drying bath towels at KOSH... :)
  • keeps rain off the hub
  • keeps sun off the seals
  • Birds love it

My M20C would have some grease leak out of its seals after the grease was refreshed during the annual.  A few specs would be flung into the wind and land on the windshield.

Just what I observed, not any advice intended...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, cliffy said:

Its actually a "zerk" fitting. A special but very old design of fitting that grabs a grease gun nozzle so one can squirt grease into a closed vessel. Some props have them some don't. Some props drizzle a little grease in the summer but not in the winter. Sometimes it just drizzles a little all the time down the blade. Park your blade level and see if any comes out or is it just when you park it with a vertical blade setting?

Question for the day- why do you always park a wooden prop level?  (a little historical note here)

Cliff,

I was taught to park wooden props horizontal to keep moisture even in both blades. Parked vertical can lead to imbalance.

Clarence

I saw a VariEze on a ramp at KDTS a couple of days ago with a wooden 3-blade prop. I have seen this plane on the ramp before so I think it lives there. The blades were short so may be more resistant to the effect of imbalance, I really don't know. We commented on the effects of coastal sun, rain, and temperature variations on a wooden prop living on the ramp. 

YUP It was always to keep the prop in balance if it rained.  Didn't have 3 blade wood props back when this was taught. Obviously its not taught today. New 3 blade have epoxy coatings that really lessen the chance of water soaking into the blade cores. \

It also  makes it easier to hang "For Sale" signs on the prop at OSH :-) 

No grease drips out with the prop vertical or horizontal.  I don't think of grease dripping, though, so I think you're talking about oil.  And I do have a McCauley 2 blade, so I guess that means no adding grease.  It's definitely more than a few specks of grease, though

I always thought you kept the prop horizontal in general so it's less likely to be hit by another plane taxiing nearby.

• 1 month later...

Well, I think I shot myself in the foot when I posted this topic.  2 weeks ago I noticed the prop was misting oil, not just grease.  I deep cycled the prop a few times, cleaned the cowl and tried again with the same results.  The prop was last OH in 2012 and was new in 2003

I decided to go ahead and have my A&P pull the prop and send it off the regional prop shop he mentioned before.  I asked him to make clear I was asking for a repair and reseal if possible, and they told him they would present all options and estimates before proceeding with repairs.  I was hoping for a reseal or IRAN cost of $1600-2500

Well, we just got the estimates yesterday.  Apparently, they are calling both blades unairworthy and presented options of either buying new blades and resealing, or buying a new propeller.  The new blades would be $6k and the installation and reseal would be another $2k for a total of $8k.  My A&P wasn't sure how much a pair of overhauled blades would be and thought they would be hard to find.

The cost of a new Hartzell scimitar 2-blade prop would be just short of $9.5k.  Wierdly, the cost of a new McCauley 2-blade would be $10.5k.  I figured the Hartzell would be more expensive.

The prop shop needs the cost of the prop up front before even ordering the prop or prop blades, and I'm not in a position to buy the new props right now.  I can just barely afford the new blades, but I will be in a much better position next month.

At least from what I've read here, I think my #1 preference would be to buy the new Hartzell 2-blade prop.  I heard good things here, it looks good, and if I need to buy new blades I might as well spend the extra $2k.  The downside is that there is a 3-4 week lead time, so if I order next month, I'll be grounded for at least 2 months.

The alternative would be to bite the bullet and replace the blades.  There probably would be no lead time.  This would get me back in the air sooner and be a little cheaper.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from people.  I'm still feeling a little sick, not exactly the experience I needed on year #2

Edited by jaylw314

4 years since overhaul?  I'd find whoever did the overhaul and take a crowbar to him.  To be honest, I'd do the new prop were it me, I'd raise the money somehow.  If they overhaul it you're right back where you started.  How do you know you won't be in the exact same position in 4 years?

13 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

FWIW, a new scimitar prop, including new bulkhead, spinner was about $9000 3 years ago. The complete "kit" was far cheaper than the components. 

The price of $9500 is for the whole Hartzell kit.

The OH was done in TX for the previous owner, so they're out of the picture