WingX

I use Foreflight, and a very happy with it, including cost, support, features, etc. But yesterday I flew with a friend who uses WingX. After landing, taxiing toward an intersecting runway, his IPad showed the upcoming runway turn yellow as we approached and then red as we crossed it. Kinda neat.

• Like 2

I've been using WingX for 4 years now.  Great program.  I had Foreflight prior and really liked Foreflight as well just wanted something with an open system for the ADS-B in.     Plus WingX gives there full package including advanced IFR and Synthetic vision to CFI's for free.  Can't beat that!  I did prefer Foreflights options for preflight planning over any of the others I had used.  Foreflight would automatically load in Forecasted winds aloft and it seemed very accurate.  WingX only calculates in current winds aloft.  If you are planning a trip for the following day it won't calculate in forecasted winds aloft.

I like the awareness of the runway identifier stuff.  It works well when sitting at the line knowing exactly where you are...

But, if it is supposed to work like some kind of warning about where you are unaware.... it would need to be mounted up closer to the windshield.

There might be some audio output that would work.  I don't have it connected...

Best regards,

-a-

I use ForeFlight now but used Wing X three years ago. I found the simulator function pretty neat on wingx. Wing x seems to pull up frequencies and useful information a little quicker too.  Split screen was nice as well where you could have low IFR chart on one side, vfr or syn vis on the other.  The problem I had was that it would crash periodically. I'm overall satisfied with foreflight and seems like CFIs know it better too which helps to integrate training.

5 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I used WingX for five years before switching to Garmin Pilot a year and a half ago. I really liked WingX and at the time at least and probably still consider WingX to be the true innovators. It seemed like they always introduced whatever the new feature was first, and often Hilton himself would respond to emailed recommendations for improvements. The only reason I switched was because after trying two different ADS-B receivers I found their integration with WingX to be less than 100 percent satisfactory.  Garmin Pilot paired with a GDL39-3D is a much more integrated solution, but it also costs more, both on the hardware and software sides. 

It does seem like WingX has slowed down it's updates and innovations lately and allowed the competition to catch up, and I can't help but thinking that is probably because the DoD contract(s) that Hilton has apparently won in recent years are demanding the bulk of his attention. That's ok, though, because, having no idea what those contracts are, I love the idea of Hilton bringing the same caliber of cutting edge software to our war fighters. 

Rock on, Hilton Goldstein.  Although I switched I still think you are the competition in this space.

Jim

NGA / Military has foreflight liscences.  Not wingX.  Not to say that the WingX guy isn't doing "something" for the govt: just that the electronic flight book we've been using is foreflight.

personally, I dislike it (foreflight).  I prefer FlyQ... far simpler to use IMO.  I've never used wingX.

I made a choice between WingX and ForeFlight over 7 years ago when they were the only two out there. It was after an iPad seminar that showed both of them. My choice of ForeFlight was primarily fueled by two things: FF had sectional charts (which tells you how early it was) and I had a friend who showed me his a few months earlier. The early history of the two involved playing leapfrog over features and functionality. For whatever reason, FF has made choices which have resulted in a larger market share. 

I have both. They are both excellent apps. The differences are mostly look and feel with pretty small ones in functionality that are important to some, not so much to others. My primary remains FF. 7 years with the same, familiar, workflow is a difficult thing to leave, especially as an IFR tool.

6 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

WingX has this great feature that once you touch down it tells you how many feet of runway you have left.  I really like that amongst many many other great features.

IMG_0762.thumb.PNG.07df9b3fa6f273ef0967e85b413cb8cf.PNGIMG_0764.thumb.PNG.879daad32bc7cfe140dbdfe0b8d0808c.PNG

I guess that comes in handy when realize you landed on too short of a runway. :) 

Where have you been hiding? Waiting to hear what the next thing you bought so I can keep up with the NotarJones.

• Haha 1