Favorites EFB's

On 8/7/2017 at 7:26 PM, Skates97 said:

I think I may download Avare and give it a try for the taxi diagrams. To get that function from DroidEFB you have to buy the Premium subscription. If I was flying IFR I would gladly pay it for the geo-referenced approach plates but as a VFR pilot it isn't something I need.

I'll get a screenshot tomorrow when I'm close to an airport... I want to show the geo reference feature.....

On 8/7/2017 at 7:52 PM, Yetti said:

It can also georeference the airport diagram which is helpful to taxi with.   On a tablet it goes splitscreen with the plate or the taxi diagram along with the moving map.

Avare doesn't do split screen.... yet. But it is completely free. It even has a module that allows one to interface with ADS-B in devices like Stratux and Stratus units, as well as several of the flight simulation apps... Although, the only flight sim app I can confirm that it works with is MS Flight Simulator X... both the MS and Steam versions. 

1 hour ago, jonhop said:

Avare doesn't do split screen.... yet. But it is completely free. It even has a module that allows one to interface with ADS-B in devices like Stratux and Stratus units, as well as several of the flight simulation apps... Although, the only flight sim app I can confirm that it works with is MS Flight Simulator X... both the MS and Steam versions. 

Avare has an auto switch function.  When you land it will automatically switch to the airport diagram and display the aircraft position as you taxi.

1 hour ago, TTaylor said:

Avare has an auto switch function.  When you land it will automatically switch to the airport diagram and display the aircraft position as you taxi.

Wing-X will do the same, I keep it off and just load the diagram on the split screen and switch it over when needed

5 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Wing-X will do the same, I keep it off and just load the diagram on the split screen and switch it over when needed

Actually, I think most EFBs have incorporated this feature. Free in some, extra in others (including FF on the iOS end and DroidEFB on the Android).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Just for comparison, Garmin has their own simplified version of the airport diagrams:
c551947a5a963f0dedddbca558c49065.jpg
They also have the FAA versions too.

I'll have to look for that feature... The generic diagram comes up in my GP with no taxiway markings. Another neat trick about Avare is that if you click the pan button, the drawing tools come up and you can write on the map or plates screen. A convenient scratch pad.... I've copied a taxi clearance at an unfamiliar airport on the screen and then drew a line overlay to follow.

I'll have to look for that feature... The generic diagram comes up in my GP with no taxiway markings. Another neat trick about Avare is that if you click the pan button, the drawing tools come up and you can write on the map or plates screen. A convenient scratch pad.... I've copied a taxi clearance at an unfamiliar airport on the screen and then drew a line overlay to follow.

GP does that too, but not with the moving map, there is also scratch areas for clearances, etc

21cd97d50b45af24887cecc2535c74d7.jpg

You can also overlay instrument approaches on the map:

498c672c8c8213a7f98d47898f9084de.jpg

Unfortunately it does not work with Departure or Arrival procedures since they aren't drawn to scale.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, neilpilot said:

Now FF has caught up to FlyQ, and I view it as a toss up, but see no reason to change back

Especially since you have the opportunity to win a lifetime Sub to FLyQ at the Mooney Summit next month! Thanks Seattle Avionics!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got an Android (RCA Viking) and downloaded Avare to it. So far I haven't got to fly with it but that brand new private pilot son of mine likes it great. I'm pretty sure it beats the pants off using sectionals. I also bought a premade Stratux unit but we'll be trying one new thing at a time so that's still in the box. Running Avare the the tablet batteries are good for a little over an hour, so I bought a cigarette lighter two port USB charger unit that also has an LED which tells the voltage going into it through Amazon. I'm working two hundred miles away and can't play with my new toys yet:P.

3 hours ago, pinerunner said:

Running Avare the the tablet batteries are good for a little over an hour

I am surprised the battery life is so short.  I can run my iPad for quite a few hours running Foreflight connected to a Stratus 2.  I do have a charger in my plane.

3 hours ago, kpaul said:

I am surprised the battery life is so short.  I can run my iPad for quite a few hours running Foreflight connected to a Stratus 2.  I do have a charger in my plane.

Me too. I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and if I have the screen always on I lose a little less than 10% per hour. Flew 7 1/2 hours one day and still landed with I think somewhere north of 35% remaining.

8 hours ago, kpaul said:

Might be the tablet. The Android problem is, since it is open, there is a lot of crap hardware out there (I  don't know anything about the RCA other than, it's very inexpensive). Best to stay with the major brands without researching a lot.

Or perhaps running full bright all the time. 

It is a very short time relative to other units.

Some recent updates to FltPln Go screwed up some features (including that I could no longer see ADS-B traffic), so I used the Avare installation on my spare tablet on our trip from AZ->SoDak->WY->AZ for the eclipse.  I think I'm pretty much converting to Avare now.   I found it a lot more intuitive to use and was able to get more out of some of the features than I have been able to do in FltPln Go.   There are some features in FltPln that I'll miss, but the more I mess around with Avare the more I think I like it better.   I think now FltPln will be on the spare tablet and Avare will be the primary.

22 minutes ago, M016576 said:

FlyQ EFB- then wait for Black Friday- Seattle Avionics typically sells a limited number of lifetime subscriptions for 300 bucks.-  I've had mine for 4 years... its awesome

Or contribute to the Bill Gilliland Foundation.  A lifetime FlyQ subscription is one of several nice prizes to be raffled at the Friday evening reception of Mooney Summit V.  All donors receive one raffle ticket for each $20 donated. 

To contribute, send a check to

Mooney Summit, 1334 riverside dr, Tarpon Springs, Fl 34689

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 10:34 PM, Skates97 said:

Me too. I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and if I have the screen always on I lose a little less than 10% per hour. Flew 7 1/2 hours one day and still landed with I think somewhere north of 35% remaining.

Well I did get kind of a cheap one. Paid about $100 through Amazon to get an RCA Viking. I had googled "best deals in Android tablets". Maybe the battery was one place where they cut corners. I still like it better than sectionals.

I'm a CB, but being a CB when buying usb cords will bite you.   You must go ahead and spend a little more and get short cords with larger gauge power wires. (22awg vs 28awg).  Otherwise, you may not get a high enough voltage delivered to your stratux if you have multiple accessories.  And you'll probably need ferrite chokes to avoid radio interference when trying to charge iPad and power stratux at the same time.   

I've tried most of them, some for years at a time. My hands-down favorite is Fly-Q. It's fast, simple, intuitive, and very capable. Plays very well with the Stratux. No menu is more than two layers deep, all the options are accessible from the map page. I just bought a nice Mooney loaded with Garmin, and so I subscribed to the Garmin EFB, after a five year hiatus, and am remembering why I quit. Gah! Too much bumbling around looking for stuff. Clumsy, compared to FlyQ's oft-updated, easy and affordable elegance. I expect I will add Stratux back to the windscreen for quick iPad info I can get to right now, with a single keystroke. FF's proprietary approach, and its relatively expensive "ya want fries with that" pricing drove me away long ago. For free, Avare on my android phone has been a good backup. For not-free, the Garmin android version works, though still less full-featured than their i-Thingie version.

The number of finger taps doesn't bother me, I'm not an icon fan, I want text. GP has text under the icons, no guessing what a icon is for, there is nothing you can't get to in 4 taps, if not 2-3. I like the home page which reminds me of my GTN. Unfortunately it seems the that's a trend FlyQ, Aerovie, not to mention Windows 8 etc. Hopefully there'll be choices, you can the cryptic icons...I'll take self explanatory text.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

The number of finger taps doesn't bother me, I'm not an icon fan, I want text. GP has text under the icons, no guessing what a icon is for, there is nothing you can't get to in 4 taps, if not 2-3. I like the home page which reminds me of my GTN

You can go back to the Garmin handhelds of 20 years ago to see the same type of "logic" in the Garmin evolution. The similarities between Pilot and the GTN is probably a big reason for some people to choose Pilot.