Favorites EFB's

I like Apple devices and I like the way ForeFlight runs on them. I like the way ForeFlight keeps up with and occasionally is out in front of the pack. They've got a robust support department staffed with pilots who are quick to answer questions. I like that every time Apple updates the iOS on their devices, it's just a matter of 24 hours or so before ForeFlight notifies us that testing is complete and we're good to upgrade. I like that both Apple and ForeFlight are relatively closed systems and therefore things seem to just work and work well.

I can also link ForeFlight on my iPad to the IFD540 in the panel and push/pull flight plans either direction. ForeFlight also seems to work just fine with a Stratux box.  

I did all the free trials a few years back and chose ForeFlight. It does cost money, but as a percentage of what I spend on aviation every year, it's not much more than a rounding error.

I was one of the very first subscribers to ForeFlight and while I have tried several others (Garmin Pilot as the main competitor in my eyes) I personally regard ForeFlight to be the one for me. They update constantly, and their feature set meets my requirements. My avionics are primarily Garmin, and I use their FlightStream 210 to allow communication between the GTNs, GDL 88, and my yoke mounted iPad Mini 4 running ForeFlight. I use the Mini primarily for a Sectional presentation as I prefer their dark color Special Use area depiction to the lighter colors on the Garmin boxes. For what is worth (overkill for sure, but very useful) I use the GTN 750 as my primary moving map, the 650 for traffic display and VORs, the panel mounted 796 for XM weather, and general data display. Lots of useful information with redundancy available. ForeFlight allows three devices under their subscription, and so I have the iPad Mini 4, my iPad 3, and my iPhone 7+ all loaded with the most current data. On my most recent flight I forgot to bring my Mini 4 from its charger in the hangar, so I just put my iPhone 7+ in the yoke mount, and it was fairly easy to read in that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

... perhaps an ipad user can advise us how long ago they had these features. 

Synthetic Vision came out for Garmin Pilot on iOS devices just after the earth's crust cooled back in early 2014 (http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2014/02/garmin-pilot-app-adds-3-d-synthetic-vision-capability.html#.WYZHktPyvdQ).

The reason I bought GP is that I liked the Garmin GDL 39 3D which seemed to be more well constructed than the Stratus back then. I was happy with it, but since I have an Avidyne IFD 550 and it works with Foreflight but not Garmin Pilot, after my subscription to GP ran out in June I went with Foreflight. So far I really like it - it's very intuitive. Foreflight supports my Garmin GDL 39 3D from which I get AHRS, GPS and ADS-B on Bluetooth. It also supports my Avidyne panel mount via WiFi, so it seems to be the best of both worlds.

If you're concerned about any tablet or phone overheating don't keep them sitting in the airplane for an extended period on the ground. The one time I did that, my fault, the older iPad 3 that was in a heavy case shut off for 5 minutes soon after startup, but that's been it. Anything made in the past few years runs much cooler and I don't keep it in a bulky case in the cockpit, just a silicone sleeve. By the way compare the real cost of devices. The iPhones & iPads hold their value very well and I always have recovered over 70% of their value when I upgrade and sell them myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yeah, hard for me to compare. As I understand it most improvements come to the IOS system first. But I don't know what I don't have with Version 6.1.4.

Android GPilot Version 6.1.0 added Synthetic Vision, checklist feature, support for Virb 360... perhaps an ipad user can advise us how long ago they had these features. 

So after this exchange I checked the SV on my phone and tablet. The phone seems to be fine but on the tablet GPilot tells me my Android device needs to have OPENGL ES3.0. Does anyone know if that is something that can be added as an app or update? The tablet is running Android version 5.1.1 and it tells me my system is up to date. (The phone is version 6.0.1)

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, teejayevans said:

How does the Android tablet version of GP compare to iPad version? I know you never used it an iPad but figured you as least seen one.

Generally speaking, the Apple version is more advanced than the Android version.

I use Garmin Pilot (GP) on my phone and tablet with Naviator as my backup (all Android).  GP is available for both systems so you can keep using it even if you switch tablets to the other system.  I like GP because we have a GTX345 and GP will display traffic.  I really like the trend vector that shows traffic movement relative to me rather than actual ground track.  They also just added checklists to the Android version so I'm just starting to try that feature.  Now if they would just let me display ANY two displays in split screen instead of just a map and something else it would be great.  That way I could display attitude info and charts when flying an approach in the weather.

Opps. I meant AvNav's EFB.

As I read the responses it looks like almost anything I get will be fantastic compared to only using old style paper charts. I'm too lazy to try them all. I suspect I may end up using the first one I load up.

Edited by pinerunner

As I read the responses it looks like almost anything I get will be fantastic compared to only using old style paper charts. I'm too lazy to try them all. I suspect I may end up using the first one I load up.

If VFR, I'd start cheaper and work my way up.

If IFR, I'd put some more thought into it.

In my case GP and GTN interfaces are the same, so that was a major consideration.

On 8/5/2017 at 6:02 PM, Bob_Belville said:

So after this exchange I checked the SV on my phone and tablet. The phone seems to be fine but on the tablet GPilot tells me my Android device needs to have OPENGL ES3.0. Does anyone know if that is something that can be added as an app or update? The tablet is running Android version 5.1.1 and it tells me my system is up to date. (The phone is version 6.0.1)

OPENGL is a library of graphics routines, etc, that a programming language would use to save the programmer from having to write everything from scratch. Instead of having different programs repeat these routines over and over again and take up a lot of space, the programs that use them make calls to the library. Of course if the library isn't there they bomb, or tell you to load it up. I've used a version of the the GL graphics protocol called freeglut in my hobby programming. I've chosen to copy the part that comes from the GL-based library into my programs, so I can carry them to another computer, but it makes them very large.  I imagine OPENGL ES3.0 is free and you can install it from their website. 

I guess if every program you download wants a different library you could end up with a different kind of memory bloat. 

• Like 2

+1 for FlyQ.  I was a Seattle Avionics customer well before their AOPA partnership, and always happy with their product, and their product support.  Like many of the programs, they are run by pilots and enthusiasts.  Supports many ADS-B receivers.  

50 minutes ago, pinerunner said:

OPENGL is a library of graphics routines, etc, that a programming language would use to save the programmer from having to write everything from scratch. Instead of having different programs repeat these routines over and over again and take up a lot of space, the programs that use them make calls to the library. Of course if the library isn't there they bomb, or tell you to load it up. I've used a version of the the GL graphics protocol called freeglut in my hobby programming. I've chosen to copy the part that comes from the GL-based library into my programs, so I can carry them to another computer, but it makes them very large.  I imagine OPENGL ES3.0 is free and you can install it from their website. 

I guess if every program you download wants a different library you could end up with a different kind of memory bloat. 

40+ years ago when I was programming in DG's Extended Basic we used machine language call routines that served the same type purpose. Memory was very dear!

An Android Play Store search returns plenty of apps but none that I recognize as the utility itself. There's "OPENGL ES Examples" , "OPENGL ES Shader", "OPENGL ES Info", "GFXBench GL Benchmark", etc.

Should I look elsewhere?   

2 hours ago, pinerunner said:

AvNav EFB is, IMO, one of the best out there. And the developer is very responsive to inquiries.

AvNav was my primary  backup app until it stopped working on my tablet. Still works fine on my phone.

The only problem is, it's a one-man shop and, despite the best intentions, I think he's pulled away from it enough that he can't find the time for upgrades. He knows about my crashes and said there will be an update to do a bunch of very cool things, as well as fix my problem, "ready in next couple of months." That was mid-February. Unfortunately I think I need to choose for something else :( 

39 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

40+ years ago when I was programming in DG's Extended Basic we used machine language call routines that served the same type purpose. Memory was very dear!

An Android Play Store search returns plenty of apps but none that I recognize as the utility itself. There's "OPENGL ES Examples" , "OPENGL ES Shader", "OPENGL ES Info", "GFXBench GL Benchmark", etc.

Should I look elsewhere?   

OpenGL is going to be part of the Android OS.  

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/opengl.html

So if your tablet cannot be upgraded to Android 4.3 (and the vendor implemented it for their graphics chips) then you can't run those programs. 

I'm not going to discuss the history of GL (Silicon Graphics unix workstations circa 1990+)

1 minute ago, PaulM said:

OpenGL is going to be part of the Android OS.  

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/opengl.html

So if your tablet cannot be upgraded to Android 4.3 (and the vendor implemented it for their graphics chips) then you can't run those programs. 

I'm not going to discuss the history of GL (Silicon Graphics unix workstations circa 1990+)

The tablet is running Android version 5.1.1 but apparently it does not include the opengl utility. When I try to open SV in Garmin Pilot I get a message to that effect. (GPilot SV works on my Android phone that's running Android Version 6.0.1.

I used the SkyRadar app... when I first got the SkyRadar...

It had an advantage for a day or two...

Then WingX expanded and adsorbed all the functionality that Sky radar was offering...

Baron Hilton (the WingX guy) used to send users emails directly.  Inquiring about how well the app was working and what else would be helpful. Early discussions about the connected panel...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, jonhop said:

I really like the Avare GPS position overlay taxi diagrams... Far superior to Garmin's SafeTaxi diagrams in my opinion. 

I think I may download Avare and give it a try for the taxi diagrams. To get that function from DroidEFB you have to buy the Premium subscription. If I was flying IFR I would gladly pay it for the geo-referenced approach plates but as a VFR pilot it isn't something I need.

24 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I think I may download Avare and give it a try for the taxi diagrams. To get that function from DroidEFB you have to buy the Premium subscription. If I was flying IFR I would gladly pay it for the geo-referenced approach plates but as a VFR pilot it isn't something I need.

It can also georeference the airport diagram which is helpful to taxi with.   On a tablet it goes splitscreen with the plate or the taxi diagram along with the moving map.