Favorites EFB's

As part of my "Upgrading Dave" program I'm thinking about getting an electronic flight bag. While many have told me "Just get Foreflight on a good Ipad" I like to consider options and I've met a couple (well one) who like their Android. I also just came across the concept of Stratux ADS-B in that works with a big bunch of EFB's some of them Androids instead of Apples. 

So does anyone want to chime in for their favorite EFB? I had no idea there were so many options. AirNav's version has caught my eye. I don't have time to read about them all. I know the FAA publishes the geo-referenced charts for free so I'm inclined to be a CB but I don't mind paying a little fee if I get my money's worth. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try Stratux first for ADS-B in before I pay a lot for something costing more. I'm getting back to work at my real job now. Folks are looking at me funny because of the way I'm drooling.

Edited by pinerunner

You could go with the standard of many airlines, and do either an iPad with Jeppesen Mobile Flightdeck or a Surface with the same.  You'd be on the hook for a Jepp subscription, but if you choose not to go that route, Foreflight with NACO/FAA charts would be a more affordable option.  I go with the former, only because I've relied on Jepps for the last 32+ years as - again - the airline standard.

Steve

• Like 1

I built a Stratux and have been very happy with it.

Disclaimer, I am an Android person, the only Apple product I have owned is an iPod for music...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" that fits perfectly in the yoke in portrait orientation. I tried FltPlanGo initially and then switched over to DroidEFB and have been using it ever since. It seems to be the closest to Foreflight when it comes to Android apps. When I was taking my lessons my CFI used Foreflight and I was using DroidEFB. There were some features of Foreflight I really liked but there were some things DroidEFB had that I liked too. I think they have the 30 day trial and the Standard subscription is $74.99/yr. If you want GeoReferenced Approach plates and Airport Diagrams it's $149.99/yr.

A couple of nice things about the Samsung is that I can have it on for a 4 hour flight and it only uses about 30% of the battery. I have also never had it overheat and shut down like I have heard can happen with the iPads. I did have it once get hot enough that the bluetooth on it turned off which lost the connection to my Garmin Glo I was using at the time. Since then I bought a Stratux VK-162 for $18 and so I get my GPS from the Stratux over Wifi and haven't had an issue.

If I was an Apple user I would probably have Foreflight, but I'm an Android user so it's DroidEFB.

21 minutes ago, pinerunner said:

As part of my "Upgrading Dave" program I'm thinking about getting an electronic flight bag. While many have told me "Just get Foreflight on a good Ipad" I like to consider options and I've met a couple (well one) who like their Android. I also just came across the concept of Stratux ADS-B in that works with a big bunch of EFB's some of them Androids instead of Apples. So does anyone want to chime in for their favorite EFB? I had no idea there were so many options. AirNav's version has caught my eye. I don't have time to read about them all. I know the FAA publishes the geo-referenced charts for free so I'm inclined to be a CB but I don't mind paying a little fee if I get my money's worth. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try Stratux first for ADS-B in before I pay a lot for something costing more. I'm getting back to work at my real job now. Folks are looking at me funny because of the way I'm drooling.

Good for you for not just buying and using ForeFlight because you were told to. My estimate is that over 90% of ForeFlight users are ForeFlight users because someone told them to buy it and they never tried anything else.

Minimally you need to try the free or almost free programs, FltPlan Go and Wing X VFR Free! (not out yet but will be any day, it will actually be priced at $0.99).

I also have Aerovie, Jeppesen Mobile, FlyQ and IFD100 on my iPads (I fly with two full sized iPads in my Mooney).

* Full disclosure: I am a CFI so the full version of WingX & Aerovie are free and FlyQ offers a HUGE discount. Jeppesen Mobile came with my database subscription I chose for my Avidyne IFD550 and the IFD100 app is free for anyone, but you need an Avidyne 440/540/550 for it to be functional.

I have never used anything Android so can't help there.

Another +1 here on using the Stratux.   It's an awesome little thing and has saved my butt a couple of times already.

There are a couple of EFBs that are free and are quite functional, especially if you just want to climb the learning curve and see what features you like or don't or just get used to using one.   I use FltPlan Go on an Android tablet but also carry an older, spare tablet that has AvAre on it.   Both are completely free, functional and useful and will get you wherever you want to go.   FltPlan Go interfaces with the Stratux pretty much seamlessly.   The beauty of the free EFBs, especially if you've never used one, is being able to try everything out before shelling out any $$.

I may move up to a subscription-based EFB in the future, but for right now FltPlan Go is doing everything I need and AvAre is a nice redundant backup on a separate tablet.   If you have a good smart phone you can also have a backup working on that, but I don't want to have to deal with a display that small for navigation.

It really is nice that there are so many options out there for this, and it'll change how you fly.   An EFB with the Stratux is the sort of setup that'll make you wonder how you ever got by without them.

Oh, you want to be cheap. Then get FltPlanGo for free, does pretty much the same thing foreflight does and a stratux and a used iPad. With a stratux, all in for maybe $500 and no subscription fee. If you want to pay a little for quality, then use wingx.

Personally I would download everyone of them for their 30 day trial period. That's what I did and found I hated the user interface of some them (WingX, FlyQ, ForeFlight). I would also look at your hardware future state. Both Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight can support flight plan transfers to the GNC and GTN series navigators. If you head that direction, you probably want to see if one of those work for you. As well, if you are headed to a permanent ADS-B solution, see what can interface with the EFB.

• Like 2

I prefer wingx to foreflight. The Android version isn't as good as the apple unless they've improved it, so I run it on an overpriced iPad. Wingx gives me a free sub for being a cfi, but before they introduced that program I paid for it. I have tried to like foreflight and just can't.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, peevee said:

I prefer wingx to foreflight. The Android version isn't as good as the apple unless they've improved it, so I run it on an overpriced iPad. Wingx gives me a free sub for being a cfi, but before they introduced that program I paid for it. I have tried to like foreflight and just can't.

They haven't. The most recent update email says they are planning to. As did the one before that, and the one... :(  I use an Android app as a backup in case I have an iPad issue. But WingX isn't it.

It's really a shame. I know the Android pilot market is more limited, in large part due to ForeFlight and WingX battling it out while Android tablets were still speculation (when I started using FF), but in recent years, WingX's share of the iOS market has been dwindling. There are a few good Android EFBs out there but only one or two are, IMO, really solid.

I have used Avare for the past two years... It's a great app that is completely free and it also easily interfaces with the stratux. I am currently migrating to Garmin Pilot, as I just installed a GTX-345 and FS-510 in order to leverage flight plan transfer and traffic on the yoke. I still carry my Tab A with Avare as a back-up...

Samsung tablet and phone.  Running Droidefb on both of them.  The tablet goes in the flexible arm mount for navgation.   The phone is doing some navigation but also looking up Facilities Information.

STratux for ADSB - IN

Avare is a free Android-only app, with free sectionals, hi & low enroutes, plates, etc. Simple, easy, lots of web help available. Runs well on my Tab A using internal GPS. 

FltPlanGo is also good, i need to try it. 

Love me some droid stuff, enjoyed my ipad mini but never drank the Apple koolaid. It's just a tablet, not the salvation of the world. 

• Like 1

Stuck with Idevices... easy to learn, hard to forget... costs more, lasts long... still imperfect.

WingX... learned long ago... improvements come often... allows the use of many different ADSB devices...

Also important to me as I age... integrated systems that work together...

If going Garmin, an iPad with the Garmin EFB would be good...

Best regards,

-a-

I also tried the subscriptions 30 day free trial. Way back then I felt wingx and foreflight were ahead of the curve I chose foreflight, I have Jepp Mobil flightdeck as well with my jepp subscription for the g1000, now foreflight and jepp got married and merged. Most all are good try em all for 30 days and decide

• Like 1

Android tablet and phone, Garmin Pilot. The subscription piggy backs on the GTN package which also includes a GPS696.  FS 510 integrates the GTN and the Android devices. ADS-B traffic, NEXRAD etc. I never have used  an i-anything or Foreflight so...

3 hours ago, peevee said:

Droidefb has had features long before FF.   Saving of routes. Drag and drop routes, geo referenced plates and airport diagrams. Weight and Balance. Electronic flight book, Support for STratux (I suggested that and helped with the testing/configuration).   I tried FltPln go and Avare and they did not seem to cut the mustard.   

I have had to do device resets one or two times over a 4 year span.  There is no issue with overheating and such.   Running 2 devices makes it pretty good to use.

I did learn that my Samsung phone 6 is much better at locking on to GPS than the Samsung Tablet GPS.  I was bored on a SWA Flight last night.

Android tablet and phone, Garmin Pilot. The subscription piggy backs on the GTN package which also includes a GPS696.  FS 510 integrates the GTN and the Android devices. ADS-B traffic, NEXRAD etc. I never have used  an i-anything or Foreflight so...

How does the Android tablet version of GP compare to iPad version? I know you never used it an iPad but figured you as least seen one.

Newer hardware often demonstrates it's multitasking skills...

multiple windows operating at the same time...

Split screen WingX on the iPad, is single screen on my iphone5...

Watching a tv window playing while setting up a flight plan?

high def screens that can be pinch zoomed are pretty cool.

The iPad has many uses long before it gets to the plane...

All day MS reading and CNBC...  :)

Best regard,

-a-

I started using ForeFlight when it first came out, before it became the market leader. I experimented with Garmin, WingX, FltPlan (both the old and the new) but for my money, there's a reason that FF became the leader. They just continuously improve and give users useful tools for the cockpit. Of course, if you're an Apple-hater than FF won't even be an option. But the general advice as noted is sound; try them and see which one fits your needs and your budget.

I started with FF but switched to FlyQ years ago.  Not only was it cheaper with the approach plate option back then, but at the time FlyQ was actually offering improvements ahead of FF.  Just one example is the split screen option, which FlyQ offered way ahead of FF.

Now FF has caught up to FlyQ, and I view it as a toss up, but see no reason to change back.

• Like 1

I don't think this one has been mentioned but my first choice if I left ForeFlight at this point is iFlyGPS. Multi-platform (dedicated hardware, iOS, Android, and Windows), identical features regardless of platform, most of the features I want, and, hands-down, the most customizable of any EFB.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:12 AM, pinerunner said:

As part of my "Upgrading Dave" program I'm thinking about getting an electronic flight bag. While many have told me "Just get Foreflight on a good Ipad" I like to consider options and I've met a couple (well one) who like their Android. I also just came across the concept of Stratux ADS-B in that works with a big bunch of EFB's some of them Androids instead of Apples. 

So does anyone want to chime in for their favorite EFB? I had no idea there were so many options. AirNav's version has caught my eye. 

AirNav? Never heard of an EFB with that name. Do you mean AvNav? Avare? Or something else.

21 hours ago, teejayevans said:

How does the Android tablet version of GP compare to iPad version? I know you never used it an iPad but figured you as least seen one.

Yeah, hard for me to compare. As I understand it most improvements come to the IOS system first. But I don't know what I don't have with Version 6.1.4.

Android GPilot Version 6.1.0 added Synthetic Vision, checklist feature, support for Virb 360... perhaps an ipad user can advise us how long ago they had these features.