TSIO-360 - Push Rod Seal Leaks

FlyWalt

Since we have had this engine overhauled in Sept 2014, she has flown about 150 hours. I have been plagued with push rod seal leaks, and a few minor valve cover seal leaks. These leaks are usually on the left side. Although I see cyl 2 and 4 are both culprits.

Since leaving the overhaul shop I have had push rod seal leaks repaired over 4 times now.

Am I the only one? Should I be calling Continential? Is it possible that people are using cheap aftermarket seals?

If I wanted to see oil on my engine and hangar floor then I would have bought a Stearman or DC-3   :-)

You could be describing at the crankcase or at the cylinder. Especially at the crankcase they need to be coated with DC-4 to prevent leakage - if only oil was used they tend to leak. If at the cylinder make sure the leaky seal is making a good fit. Sometimes the hole is a bit oversize and needs a Al washer to seal it better. 

5 hours ago, FlyWalt said:

Since we have had this engine overhauled in Sept 2014, she has flown about 150 hours. I have been plagued with push rod seal leaks, and a few minor valve cover seal leaks. These leaks are usually on the left side. Although I see cyl 2 and 4 are both culprits.

Since leaving the overhaul shop I have had push rod seal leaks repaired over 4 times now.

Am I the only one? Should I be calling Continential? Is it possible that people are using cheap aftermarket seals?

If I wanted to see oil on my engine and hangar floor then I would have bought a Stearman or DC-3   :-)

My pushrods do the same on the left, after 4 reseals and using the real seal brand.  It has improved a bit with the newer seals.  Tsio360lb 200 hours smoh late 2014 oh

Minor valve cover leaks too, but those were solved w upgraded gasket covers 

Edited by jrwilson

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

How do you check crankcase pressure and what do you do to lower it?

We use a replacement oil cap with a fitting soldered to it, to that we connect a pressure gauge or an airspeed indicator.  90 mph equals 4" H2O.  High pressure is a indication of a blocked breather vent or high blow by.

Clarence

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

We use a replacement oil cap with a fitting soldered to it, to that we connect a pressure gauge or an airspeed indicator.  90 mph equals 4" H2O.  High pressure is a indication of a blocked breather vent or high blow by.

Clarence

Thanks!

On 8/3/2017 at 2:12 PM, FlyWalt said:

Oil leaks, and a general sense that 140 hours in 10 years is much too low recency of time.  It's apparent that the airplane sits a lot, and the oil slick I found post-flight under the airframe ran as far back as the ADF antenna.  Small wonder the ADF was inoperative...  A conversation with a pre-buy mechanic got a strong recommendation to either get a much lower price or not buy the airplane.  I'm willing to get work done to get an airplane to where I wanted it to be, but it seemed like this plane had immediate problems.