Stupidly Simple Boost Pump Switch Repair

moosebreath

My booster pump switch cap fell on the floor when I turned it off on my last flight.  The problem was that one of the plastic hooks on the rear of the switch cap had broken away.  As forum members well know you can not buy just the switch cap.  My solution was to purchase and install an entire new switch.  These are $240 from Lasar.

Having nothing to lose, I attempted to repair the broken part this morning.  This is the stupidly simple part.  I cut a tiny piece of 18 gauge galvanized wire and bent it into the shape of the missing plastic hook.  I then held the inverted switch cap flat on the bench with a pair of pliers and heated the wire with a propane torch.  I inserted the hot wire into the switch cap and allowed it to cool.  Then I snapped the cap back on the switch and, voila, it works perfectly.

I hope I am not the first person to think of this but perhaps this tip may help somebody save .24 AMU.

Anyone need a boost pump switch at a reasonable price?

the problem.jpg

the staple.jpg

the fix.jpg

the switch.jpg

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, steingar said:

Oh no,  you didn't use the certificated STC'd PMA part!  Your Mooney is now going to fall out of the sky in a rain of aluminum parts!

Where's the sarcasm smiley when you need it?

I think sarcasm didn't get a part in the emoji movie so now he is angry :angry:.    

:D

8 hours ago, steingar said:

Oh no,  you didn't use the certificated STC'd PMA part!  Your Mooney is now going to fall out of the sky in a rain of aluminum parts!

Where's the sarcasm smiley when you need it?

Steel parts, too. Don't forget about the roll cage. 

Guest paulie

I know you guys think this is hilarious but I come from the airline world. How would you like it if AA or Delta was doing stuff like this?

Also not very smart to post your backyard repair with your N number in your avatar. Ever think one of us is FAA?

Guest paulie

Not saying to spend stupid money for something easily fixed, keep it on the down low. Believe me there are feds that live for this kind of thing, usually they're the ones that know bupkis about airplanes. They're also the ones likely to give you a ramp check.

One important thing to remember if they ever want to see your ticket or anything else do not hand it to them. Show it but don't let it leave your hands. By giving it to them you have surrendered it. They're not required to give it back. If you read the regs your certificate is a privilege, not a right.

2 hours ago, paulie said:

I know you guys think this is hilarious but I come from the airline world. How would you like it if AA or Delta was doing stuff like this?

Also not very smart to post your backyard repair with your N number in your avatar. Ever think one of us is FAA?

Owner produced parts can be approved for part 91

-Robert 

6 hours ago, paulie said:

very wise advice

6 hours ago, paulie said:

Not saying to spend stupid money for something easily fixed, keep it on the down low. Believe me there are feds that live for this kind of thing, usually they're the ones that know bupkis about airplanes. They're also the ones likely to give you a ramp check.

Boy, this crowd is pretty low on reading comprehension . . . Yes, the OP "repaired" his switch cover, after buying and installing a new one. What's there to ramp check????

And if he is ever stopped by an inspector, disassembling the aircraft looking for suspected "illegal" repairs is beyond their purview. I'd let them pay an A&P with Mooney experience to do it, after they provide me a signed, clear copy of a court order or search warrant, and those are detailed and specific rather than being fishing expeditions. 

So everybody take a deep breath, calm down and reread the original post, going for content this time instead of knee-jerk reactions and "you can't do that"-itis . . . . . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Boy, this crowd is pretty low on reading comprehension . . . Yes, the OP "repaired" his switch cover, after buying and installing a new one. What's there to ramp check????
And if he is ever stopped by an inspector, disassembling the aircraft looking for suspected "illegal" repairs is beyond their purview. I'd let them pay an A&P with Mooney experience to do it, after they provide me a signed, clear copy of a court order or search warrant, and those are detailed and specific rather than being fishing expeditions. 
So everybody take a deep breath, calm down and reread the original post, going for content this time instead of knee-jerk reactions and "you can't do that"-itis . . . . . 

Why will it only let me like this post once? Kudus to the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, paulie said:

So one day on a SWA rear cargo door would not close.  This Maint guy walked through the cabin with one of the larger screwdrivers I have ever seen....

• Like 1

My boost pump switch the other day, snapped in half when I turned it off. I glued it back together with epoxy and carbon fiber and should be as strong as original. I reinforced it on the inside and the sides with a few strands 

Edited by jetdriven

12 hours ago, paulie said:

Har, har. I used this site to find a airplane and found one. Apparently there is nothing else to be learned here. Bye.

I respectfully disagree.  You posted good information that I'm sure was useful to some members.  But we usually don't like sermons or being lectured.  And if there is nothing else to be learned here, it is because you already know it all.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2017 at 7:45 AM, Hank said:

There is nothing to ramp check, it's all in the public domain forever......

• Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 10:26 PM, paulie said:

Har, har. I used this site to find a airplane and found one. Apparently there is nothing else to be learned here. Bye.

You could possibly brush up on the regulations around Part 91 and owner produced part.