Wanted - Bezel for 75 M20F fresh air/heater vent

The Bezel around the air vent on my 1975 M20F is beyond repair and the plastic is so brittle it is crumbling.   Looking for a replacement is anyone has one. I only need the plastic portion, but will take the entire assembly.

Part number - 340282-1

Vent .jpg

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

The Bezel around the air vent on my 1975 M20F is beyond repair and the plastic is so brittle it is crumbling.   Looking for a replacement is anyone has one. I only need the plastic portion, but will take the entire assembly.

Part number - 340282-1

Vent .jpg

Got another solution for you. Mine looked just like yours. A Mooney owner here build a wedge adapter and I installed one of these:

Vent.jpg.b54894d421be56be8418e179a0ea21d6.jpg

If you are interested, I'll see if he would be willing to build the wedge for you. It is a solid piece of plastic type material that points the eyeball socket up a bit. Will take a picture of mine later today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Got another solution for you. Mine looked just like yours. A Mooney owner here build a wedge adapter and I installed one of these:

If you are interested, I'll see if he would be willing to build the wedge for you. It is a solid piece of plastic type material that points the eyeball socket up a bit. Will take a picture of mine later today.

Marauder,

That would be great!  Upgrading would be even better than replacing. 

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm interested also. Might be more worthwhile for him to do two.

Part number - 340282-1
5983501aacfd9_Vent.thumb.jpg.e023ed75a3b889d21a804b32a8a531a3.jpg

I have the same need for the air vent on my 1977 M20J. Would welcome any leads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I received word back from the guy who made the wedge for me that he isn't interested in making more. He does have one wedge left and offered it to me to send to someone who could use it as a template for making more.

Any of you have skills and tools to produce this for others? He told me the wedge was made from polyurethane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A light weight, rigid, poly foam could be nice...  

PU is usually a tough rubber...

Selecting a polymer that works shouldn't be too tough.  Even a solid, non foam material isn't going to weigh a lot.

Easy to machine, light weight and durable... is this something that would interest a @Yetti?

are there existing wedge shapes that just need holes cut in them?

Thinking out loud,

-a-

TT,

You might be able to find resins where they have had flame retardants added to them.  FRs cost money, it isn't natural for a polymer to have them... if they have been added, it will be mentioned as part of the highlights of the resin printed on the package(?)

Flame retardants have a small effect on physical properties, meltpoints, and viscosity...

It would make a great project for experimenting with.  Not the worst spot for a flammable plastic part....

Best regards,

-a-

My shop elves started doing the fiberglass - epoxy repair, but I like the simplicity of a wedge and an off the shelf eye vent.

I have some Taulman Black "Bridge" nylon on the shelf that would make a nice wedge. The Tg is high enough for a vent and from what I can tell it has very low flammability potential compared to ABS.  

Glass transition temperature... very nice!

Similar to melt point for things that don't really technically melt...

Plastics processing uses Tg as a reference... then adds temperature in chunks of 10°C... viscosity has a tendency to get cut in half for each 10°C.  Tg +50°C probably is a nice starting point for trying to use it in a printer?

The challenge with nylon, it has a tendency to have its viscosity run like water and drip when it gets really hot...

If it lights on fire, it will spread like oil...

Easy enough to test.  Take outside hit it with a lighter. Observe what it happens, safely...

Making the part with a 3D printer would be really cool, the amount of excess material can be minimized. The total weight will be tiny.

PP thoughts only..?

Best regards,

-a-

My shop elves started doing the fiberglass - epoxy repair, but I like the simplicity of a wedge and an off the shelf eye vent.

I have some Taulman Black "Bridge" nylon on the shelf that would make a nice wedge. The Tg is high enough for a vent and from what I can tell it has very low flammability potential compared to ABS.  

I will get the prototype wedge he has and mail it to you. Could you PM me your address?

You may want to experiment with angles (thickness of the wedge) to get the right angle for best air distribution. They vent we had from the factory was very simple and allowed air to be distributed up or down. The eyeball makes it a little more challenging since it is capable of going right and left.

Let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 year later...