Why ADS-B?

I am one of those owners who will do an IPC every 6 months whether I need one or not. The guy who does the IPC with me is a close friend (although after some of the stuff he puts me through on the IPC, I question that). He is a long time pilot, an ATP with a CFI/II and to boot he has 5,000 hours in Mooneys. His one trait that drives me nuts is reluctance to move into the modern avionics age. He has a 530 in his Mooney but everything else what designed and built by Fred Flintstone. I did get him to start using ForeFlight, not because of the technology but rather as a Cheap Bast#$d he realized charts are cheaper buying them this way. He only turns on his ForeFlight to file or to pull up a plate.

When he was flying with me back before the panel mounted ADS-B stuff was installed in my plane, he would comment that it was nice but you can do without. And do be honest, flying for a few decades without even a GPS in my panel, he is correct, you don't need it. BUT -- it sure did change my view of flying. I still spend a lot of time looking out the window for traffic, but I got to admit, ADS-B is has been a great addition to my plane. I thought I would start a thread on the stuff the technology has helped me with. Also to encourage those of you on the fence, to get off.

Scenario 1: "I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO NO STINKING MOONEY, EVEN IF I SEND THEM TO THE MODENA VORTAC"

Coming out of the annual at Air Mods, there was Trump TFR surrounding N87. MacGuire AFB was handing out "courtesy" squawk codes to help folks exit the area. I picked up a code on the ground and departed VFR. Calling up MacGuire, they ID'd me and asked if I wanted to have them coordinate a Philly Class Bravo transition. A minute later MacGuire comes on the frequency and says Philly won't take me and they ask to squawk VFR and canceled the flight following. Fortunately, I had Plan B already loaded in Garmin Pilot and I uploaded it with the FlightStream and commenced to do a "ring around Philly" track to my home base. This is where TIS-B really shined. I was aware of everything around me as I navigated around Philly.

5982591b705c5_Philly1.thumb.jpg.d5e331b8f29309af6b27ad2dbeed5536.jpg

Scenario 2: "WHERE ARE YOU GOING YOUNG MAN?"

I was taking a jaunt one evening and late afternoon storms started popping up. Granted, it is possible to see this on the iPad app, but to have the WX-500 StormScope data overlaid on the display, helps with the situational awareness of what is out there.

IMG_0972.thumb.PNG.2d929fb1aed5380a67908427b0e868db.PNG

IMG_3496.thumb.JPG.c2afb3ac81d0567b20a0620937de68e5.JPG

Another nice feature of the FIS-B is the availability of the SIGMETs and other weather products.

078f93a3bf402b9c577bd4d210ec3a1f.jpg

Scenario 3: "Outta my way, I'm headed to Philly"

This one was an interesting one. I saw the traffic at 7,000' level at least 10 miles from me on TIS-B. It was definitely headed directly toward me. Figuring Philly was going to turn him away from me I initially didn't change course. When the L-3 ATAS verbal warning came up, I changed course. As the American Eagle flight passed in front and below me, I actually could see faces in the plane! Not sure who was more surprised. Me or the passengers.

2f153352d1eb5069f5187ebcca711024.jpg

Scenario 4: "TIS-B is great TAS is awesome"

I am not sure if radar coverage is the issue, but on occasion I will pick up a pure TAS target. The L-3 9000+ will present TIS-B traffic first and then TAS secondarily. I have seen TAS only targets in the traffic pattern which would makes sense for planes that are not ADS-B equipped and are below radar. This particular TAS target was clearly high enough for radar but came across as a TAS target.

bb9efdcfb98980dbc0f56155f281896a.jpg

dc66a6b3cdbdfbe960630146e6bf546b.jpg

If others have stories, would like to hear them!

• Like 4

No pretty pictures, flying into Green Bay for my Oshkosh Trek I encountered a parade of planes, targets, they were on V-510 Msk to cross the pond and join the Fisk arrival. Being at 10,000 ft.  to cross the pond the fun started. First time for everything I'm IFR and in an out of junk , counting maybe 30+ we're planes near me, the controller first had me change headings a few times that's normal and ok as I passed V510 I figured good it's all over .. not. I was told slower Baron and Cirrus traffic in front of you going to KGRB, I think the controller was busting there balls until the faster traffic, me, was given two 360's in, instrument conditions for spacing? Why not move the slower guys. NEVER had I been given this in crap and rain. I could see the guys in front of me on Adsb so that helped my nerves. As I crossed the pond being turned over to final approach control I thought this might not work. We were all given instructions for the ILS I though they would change me to another approach to another runway, nope, going in and out or the clouds just outside the marker they asked me for slowest forward speed, never saw that one coming, I was 6 miles out the guy looked ready to land according to Adsb so I didn't worry about going missed. I chose KGRB to avoid action, the weather turned out to be beautiful except for my last hour.

The Adsb really helped with total awareness, having a G1000, 2 IPads an Area on and on great situation awareness.Now  knowing  we most likely will need to comply by 2020, I'd recommend to do it now, as Chris depicted there is great utility your missing out on. 

Ive had Adsb for over a year now the product does as advertised quite amazing for the cost benefit. I could give many situations where the unit showed its stuff, on the other hand your not scared of what you can't see. There's lots of traffic out there especially on victor airways near larger airports.

• Like 1

No pictures either, but I have had ATC contact me several times over the past year to warn of traffic only to have me tell them I already have it on my screen and have been watching it. The most fun was coming out of Lakeland earlier this year and having the oncoming traffic 1,000' below me with both of us in the soup on the same Victor airway. We both were right on altitude, which was great to see. 

For a year or so, I had both WSI and ADS-B for weather. Truthfully, for the type of flying I do, they performed about the same with the exception of cost. Since IBM has announced they are discontinuing the WSI service, my decision to not renew last year sounds awfully good to me. Now to just pull the hardware and drop a pound or two of weight!

As I have written elsewhere in MS, I went KT-74 in 2015 and have not regretted it. Other solutions have come out since then, and I would love to have some of them, but the price and installation downtime of my choice was very good, so no complaining here.

• Like 2

Yes, I too am a recent convert to full ADS-B integrated into the G1000 and it's so nice to have that nationwide traffic coverage. It feels so professional to hear that "traffic twelve o'clock, two miles, low" warning come through the headset, which happened again just yesterday while on a low altitude VFR run for maintenance. It is definitely a true safety benefit at much lower cost than a full TCAS system.

• Like 1

I started flying with ADSb in and out since I got back to the US about two years ago. I really like it. First weather, you get weather for free...this has allowed me to embark on trips that otherwise I may have had to postpone due to my fear of running into something.

Also, second it is great to see the Metars for your airport and if needed for others around the area. It makes flying so much easier and safer.

Last but not least, flying back from Oshkosh as soon as I was over the lake on an IFR flight plan I was asked are you able to go direct, i said yes and I was given Gaithersburg direct (500 miles), i dialed it into my 750 and voila! No deviations until I got close and I flew the RNAV 14...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I started flying with ADSb in and out since I got back to the US about two years ago. I really like it. First weather, you get weather for free...this has allowed me to embark on trips that otherwise I may have had to postpone due to my fear of running into something.

Also, second it is great to see the Metars for your airport and if needed for others around the area. It makes flying so much easier and safer.

Last but not least, flying back from Oshkosh as soon as I was over the lake on an IFR flight plan I was asked are you able to go direct, i said yes and I was given Gaithersburg direct (500 miles), i dialed it into my 750 and voila! No deviations until I got close and I flew the RNAV 14

Just be careful in certain areas of the country where they are missing coverage.

Another reason for "why ADS-B?" might be of some interest to those turbocharged Mooney drivers:  The FAA is considering easing RVSM requirements and has put out a NPRM seeking comments.  Want to fly above FL280?   With ADS-B Out and two compliant altimeters you may be able to do so.

NPRM 2017-16197-1.pdf

• Like 2