Aviation book "A Higher Call"

I just finished reading "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos. It relates the lives and backgrounds leading up to and including an incident many of us have heard about. During WWII, a large group of B-17s bombing Germany, were encountered by defending German fighters.  One of the B-17s was damaged so badly, it is hard to imagine how it could possibly have remained flying. A German ace, having the opportunity to "finish off" the bomber, saw the state of the plane and its crew, accompanied it out over the ocean, saluted the B-17 pilot, and flew away.

An intriguing read about the respect sometimes exhibited between enemy military pilots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BKlott said:

Just goes to show that you can find people of character even in the most unexpected places.

It sounds nice but makes no sense from a military objective point of view.  My cousin flew fighters in Europe and he and his colleagues made every effort to prevent German air crews and pilots from being returned to service. I think that was the norm.

It sounds nice but makes no sense from a military objective point of view.  My cousin flew fighters in Europe and he and his colleagues made every effort to prevent German air crews and pilots from being returned to service. I think that was the norm.
You have to read the book to understand the title.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, daver328 said:

...But they weren't hard core SS Troops...

The SS may not be what you think it was.  Toward the end of the war, Germany recruited lots of French and other occupied peoples to join the SS.  They did it willingly in order to fight the USSR troops from the east.  In other words, lots of people considered the Soviets a worse threat than the Nazis.

This was an Awesome book!! I've never sweated reading before. It intresting to see the difference between the Gearman fighter pilots in the Luftwaffe and the Nazi party.  Not to take anything away from this book but...For those that like to read...

"Indestructible" is equally great. It's about a  Navy flyer named Paul (Pappy)Gunn!! Who was also known as the other Pappy. 

I Found it in a PHX sky harbor book store. I had just finished A higher call at the time. Adam Makos gives a review that was printed on the cover, and there's a red twin beech on the cover. 

Except for maybe those in the military, most Americans, have zero clue about the sacrifices that were made by these heros!  

-Matt

The German pilots were all patriotic Germans fighting for their country.  What else were they supposed to do?  And yeah, the Nazi's weren't what one would call tolerant of dissent.  Wasn't the pilots' fault that their bosses were total shitbags.