ADSB Advice

Yep, there are less expensive options, but you wont't get any benefit from going another route. If you WAAS the 430 you will get LPV approaches and a much faster processor. The 330 ES upgrade will make you ADS-out compliant plus you will get traffic on the 430. 

• Like 3

My only incentive to upgrade my G327 is the ATL Bravo, but Approach won't let me in now anyway . . . So I'll see what other places I'm kept away from during 2020, and decide if it's worth the money and hassle to swap out stuff in my panel or not.

Good luck with your upgrades! You'll like the 430W, I really do!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The traffic will only be displayed when TIS radar coverage is available.  Adsb traffic requires the 345, l3, etc. 

Correct, but I have found it to be nearly just as good, especially with a Stratus on board to feed it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 201er said:

Stratus feeding a 430??

Mike, 

Not the 430, but the 330ES. When you program the 330ES after installation, you tell it if you have portable ads-b in coverage. Supposedly the transponder feeds off of the Stratus or vice versa. Not really sure how well it works but I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of Traffic info that shows up on my 430W. It could just be the fact that I've never had on board traffic before too. 

• Like 1

Garmin has a new box out for ADS-B out only and very simple installation. I'd rather have WAAS on the 430 and the transponder upgrade myself, though.

You might wait a bit longer to see if the new Dynon kit makes it to us since it includes ADS-B in and out, in addition to engine monitor, autopilot, etc. That might be a lot more bang for the buck.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

Mike, 

Not the 430, but the 330ES. When you program the 330ES after installation, you tell it if you have portable ads-b in coverage. Supposedly the transponder feeds off of the Stratus or vice versa. Not really sure how well it works but I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of Traffic info that shows up on my 430W. It could just be the fact that I've never had on board traffic before too. 

I'd really like some more info on this. 

• Like 1

Couple of questions

• With the TN on your F, do you get into the flight levels at any time? If so, you will need to get the 1090ES version of ADS-B Out which eliminates the GDL 82.
  • Are you planning any additional avionics upgrades or just get ADS-B Out compliant?

If you are truly looking for lowest cost path to compliance, and fly over 18,000', the WAAS upgrade to the 430 and the ES upgrade to the GTX looks like it. Otherwise, the GDL 82, as currently priced would be even less but restrict altitude and, I believe, foreign flights when they implement ADS-B requirements. Swapping out the 430 for the 650 or 440 sounds good, but your costs would be higher. But if this is part of an upgrade to the panel, it still might be a fit.