Mooney Rocket

Nopo

Nopo, do you have an objective to go with that?

Things that come to mind...

1) trade up

2) modifying existing bird

3) self torture

Adding gobs of power does wonders for a Mooney. Going for a ride in one is a memorable experience.

Rocket, Missile, Screamin' Eagle, and Standing O all share that same gene...

Best regards,

-a-

38 minutes ago, Nopo said:

I'd love to get a ride on a Rocket. I'd like to compare its performance against my 231.

Each airplane is good and bad. The Rocket will climb better and cruise faster than the 231. For cruise, figure 30 kts faster for twice the fuel burn.

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nopo, do you have an objective to go with that?

Things that come to mind...

1) trade up

2) modifying existing bird

3) self torture

Adding gobs of power does wonders for a Mooney. Going for a ride in one is a memorable experience.

Rocket, Missile, Screamin' Eagle, and Standing O all share that same gene...

Best regards,

-a-

Rocket doesn't do piston conversions anymore.

9 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

I just sent a message to a Chicago Rocket owner, but I'm not sure if he is active here.  Hopefully he finds his way to this thread.

I don't think Michael Baraz is active here, PM me if you would like his email address. I am sure he would be happy to give you a ride. If you were a dog, he would be all over it :)

• Like 2

On 8/1/2017 at 10:23 PM, Nopo said:

I'd love to get a ride on a Rocket. I'd like to compare its performance against my 231. I live in the Chicagoland area and I'd be happy to fly to any airport within 100-150nm. Anyone available? Thanks!

I'm about 220 NM north of you (KIMT), and will have my Rocket for sale before too long (6 months +/-).  I don't fly it much now or would offer to meet up the next time I'm down that way.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 6:48 PM, Yooper Rocketman said:

I'm about 220 NM north of you (KIMT), and will have my Rocket for sale before too long (6 months +/-).  I don't fly it much now or would offer to meet up the next time I'm down that way.

Tom

If I were you Nopo I'd go the 220NM and maybe even get a ride in a Lancair Turboprop.

• Like 2

Flew in a rocket and was amazed in cruise it will be within 1gallon per hour of a 231/252 if flown at same speed. Had 183kts true on 12.8gph at 2200rpm and if I remember right 30" or so of MP at 15,000ft. Absolutely amazing. I think that was 30 LOP at around 1600ish EGT. Awesome plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aaronk25 said:

Flew in a rocket and was amazed in cruise it will be within 1gallon per hour of a 231/252 if flown at same speed. Had 183kts true on 12.8gph at 2200rpm and if I remember right 30" or so of MP at 15,000ft. Absolutely amazing. I think that was 30 LOP at around 1600ish EGT. Awesome plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, that's about right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK all you rocket men, I have a question.

I flew a Rocket from Phoenix (KCHD) to Denver (KAPA) then to Tucson (KAVQ) and back to KCHD.

I wasn't paying for the fuel and was operating it per the owners request. It was performing slower then the visor indicates and I was wondering if the performance was typical.

At 15500 2400 RPM 32 In 1500 TIT 205 KTS TAS 22 GPH

At 16500 2400 RPM 31 In 1500 TIT 202 KTS TAS 21 GPH