Those seeking Hangar space... Palm Beach&Southward

Firebird2xc

A friendly tip in case anybody is seeking a hangar...   I could only find expensive, larger hangars way south of where I live in Palm Beach County last year and I gave up.  Today, I signed a hangar lease- I can't remember ever being so excited about EMPTY SPACE.   (There's gonna be lots of it in my wallet... ;) )

For those seeking Hangar space, the super folks at Stuart Jet Center (KSUA) have at least one immediate availability in a small T hangar, and one possible coming soon in a hydraulic door hangar.  I called the nice folks down at KPMP and they have a large T hangar or two available, and a few small T hangars in KFXE.  I'm also told they never run truly at max capacity, but I think the Snowbirds pack them in and limit availability in the Fall/Winter months.

I might not be saying anything a more savvy owner/operator already knows, but for the neophyte aircraft owners out there, I thought I'd pass the word.  When they told me the waiting list at F45 was years long, I thought I might never get a hangar...)

Edited by Firebird2xc
typos...

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

When I called Stuart 3 years ago, they wanted $625/$650, and their avgas of course is on the high side as well.

That's about the same.  What do you pay for a t hangar elsewhere, and where?  Other than community hangars, I can't find anything cheaper.

That's about the same.  What do you pay for a t hangar elsewhere, and where?  Other than community hangars, I can't find anything cheaper.

KFPR is $426 for a T, pretty sure you would have to get on a waiting list. If you want cheaper I think you have to get away from the coast and populated areas.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Holy. Hell.

Apples to oranges, but I pay $162 wayyyy up here in North Florida. 

I want to move south but I'd be afraid I've have to sell. No way in hell I could afford that

It's like this everywhere down here.  Demand exceeds supply and the weather just blasts the paint off the planes parked outside.  

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

KFPR is $426 for a T, pretty sure you would have to get on a waiting list. If you want cheaper I think you have to get away from the coast and populated areas.

KFPR was on my short list.  I called, they had no t hangars available at this time.  They wanted about the same amount for a community hangar, as I recall.  I may move up there later, I don't know.  The extra rent money stings for KSUA but it's half the drive time for me.  An expensive luxury, perhaps, but if it's that or KPMP of KFXE, I'll take the drive north versus south any day.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several private airports around Belle Glade and east of Lake Okeechobee.  Any way to buy into something?

At S. FL hangar rent rates, perhaps building your own hangar would be the way to go.....

If you buy and build, at least you can recover some cost when you sell.

And then there's Wellington.....  :ph34r:

https://aeroclubwellington.com/listings.html

Good luck finding land to build a hanger on in SoFL. Local governments, airport management, and land owning speculators have everything fixed and controlled.

It ain't supply and demand. It's greed, and manipulative control of local building codes and fees, not to mention local taxing authorities.

Welcome to SoFL politics! :angry:

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 3:51 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Holy. Hell.

Apples to oranges, but I pay $162 wayyyy up here in North Florida. 

I want to move south but I'd be afraid I've have to sell. No way in hell I could afford that

At our airport here in SE PA, a tie down outside will cost you $135 :angry:

19 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

There are several private airports around Belle Glade and east of Lake Okeechobee.  Any way to buy into something?

At S. FL hangar rent rates, perhaps building your own hangar would be the way to go.....

Those are some pricey haciendas, mang.  Dare to dream, right?

19 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I asked around.  It's hard to find people who know what's what, and very little to be had.  Florida real estate ain't cheap.

2 hours ago, Firebird2xc said:

I asked around.  It's hard to find people who know what's what, and very little to be had.  Florida real estate ain't cheap.

I guess the point is that if hangars demand that sort of rent, perhaps an investment is called for?

Build something you can occupy half and rent half?

Hangars aren't cheap to build (ask me how I know!), but at the S. FL rent rate, the business plan might work if you can find an airport that allows you to own the land.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I guess the point is that if hangars demand that sort of rent, perhaps an investment is called for?

Build something you can occupy half and rent half?

Hangars aren't cheap to build (ask me how I know!), but at the S. FL rent rate, the business plan might work if you can find an airport that allows you to own the land.

I've briefly considered it.  A few local GA fields are kept in a stranglehold by the local FBO.  Makes me wonder...

10 hours ago, N6758N said:

At our airport here in SE PA, a tie down outside will cost you $135 :angry:

Cheap compared to South Florida. A tie down in Fort Lauderdale is $185 a month, or $250 for a twin. I pointed out to Sheltair that a guy parking a $300,000 Cirrus is paying less for his space than the guy parking a $150,000 Baron that takes up the same amount of space. Or a $75,000 Aztec. What's their logic? None. They just think a twin should pay more. Probably based on how markets were 30 years ago when the twin drivers were the rich guys. 

As for hangars... try $700 a month for a 40 year old no frills tee hangar.

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hello Floridians,
I currently have a nice insulated hangar at Marion County for 300. Marion County is a nice alternative for OCF and Williston if someone is looking. Usually the cheapest gas around as well.

I am also writing to see if anyone has info around Orlando. I am looking for hangar space during Monday through Friday starting this fall. I might be taking a job in Orlando and my family will still be in the Va Beach area so I will commute on weekends. I was thinking of Orlando Exec or Orlando Apopka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk