Hawaii to Oakland in M20K

kevinw

4 hours ago, thinwing said:

I wonder how his takeoffs went with 1200 lbs of fuel?

At the Santa Maria MAPA proficiency class, we had a guest speaker who had bought his Mooney in the USA and ferried it to home in Australia, first stop Hawaii.  Coincidentally, the ferry tank install and the launching point was Santa Maria.  It was ideally suited as a very long runway and unimpeded access to the Pacific ocean with no airspace or obstacles to navigate around with all that extra weight, because it did not climb for s**t.  I think he said it was several hours over the Pacific before he could get over 6000'.  

Difficult to imagine.

9 hours ago, kevinw said:

I came across this on the Mooney Pilots Facebook page yesterday. Check out this flight from Kona to Oakland. Is this by chance a Mooneyspacer?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N916BL

Fly from Iowa on Thursday down to Atchison KS to meet him. It's a great excuse to take N1151V up for a flight. :)

https://www.facebook.com/AmeliaEarhart80/

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

He has the extended Monroy tank which is 106 gal I believe. He also has a 100 gal ferry tank in place of the back seat.

Hawaii to California wasn't even his longest over water leg.

His longest leg from Pago Pago to Hawaii was 17 hours and 24 minutes . . .  that's a long time in a Mooney . . .  all of it over water.