Help with RayJay on 76 20F and BTW I also have a 1/3 interest in my 20C available for sale

I am based at Hooks in the Houston area and have recently bought a second plane which has a RayJay turbo.  I am very pleased with my purchase seems like she is going to be a really good bird.  My problem is that the owner cannot locate any info on the turbo.  I have never flown a turbo and do not want to "Burn it Up" first time out.  The previous owner mostly flew it without turbo and so far that is what I have done as well.  Here are the basics 1976 M20F and the RayJay Turbo also installed in 1976.  The pilot who flew the plane down from Utah said it worked flawlessly on his flight.  Any help and advice would be great.

BTW - I currently have a 1/3 interest available in my other plane 1963 M20C (pictures are in my album on here) for anyone that maybe interested.  I think it will be a great deal for someone looking to fly on a budget.  Here is the basic details of the partnership.  Upfront cost $12k for plane, $500 deposit for maintenance and owners account and around $500 for 1/3 of the insurance.  Monthly cost $200 to cover hanger exp, next basic annual (due April), and next insurance pmt plus $20 and hour (dry) for any extra items that come up in annual and future upgrades/rebuilds.

I am based at Hooks in the Houston area and have recently bought a second plane which has a RayJay turbo.  I am very pleased with my purchase seems like she is going to be a really good bird.  My problem is that the owner cannot locate any info on the turbo.  I have never flown a turbo and do not want to "Burn it Up" first time out.  The previous owner mostly flew it without turbo and so far that is what I have done as well.  Here are the basics 1976 M20F and the RayJay Turbo also installed in 1976.  The pilot who flew the plane down from Utah said it worked flawlessly on his flight.  Any help and advice would be great.
BTW - I currently have a 1/3 interest available in my other plane 1963 M20C (pictures are in my album on here) for anyone that maybe interested.  I think it will be a great deal for someone looking to fly on a budget.  Here is the basic details of the partnership.  Upfront cost $12k for plane, $500 deposit for maintenance and owners account and around $500 for 1/3 of the insurance.  Monthly cost $200 to cover hanger exp, next basic annual (due April), and next insurance pmt plus $20 and hour (dry) for any extra items that come up in annual and future upgrades/rebuilds.

Reach out to John Breda on this site. He can help you with the Rajay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A few key things:

No RayJay under 3500 feet MSL

Limit to 28.5" MP 2700 rpm for 3 mins max, from 3,500 to 12,000'

Max Continuous: 27" 2500 rpm 3500 to 20,000'

Max Continuous 25/25 from 20K to 25K'

I would call Bob (1-386-304-7079) at http://www.rajayparts.com/5.html and have him send you the manual. 

IMG_0952.JPG

And here's a few more that will be helpful. 

I operate at 24/2450 (~65% power) at 11.5-12gph...100-120ROP

Also, lean with TIT. Watch your CHTs once you're there, don't let them go above 400 and do something once they reach 390.

IMG_0953[1].JPG

IMG_0954[1].JPG

IMG_0955[1].JPG

19 minutes ago, Brian Scranton said:

A few key things:

No RayJay under 3500 feet MSL

Limit to 28.5" MP 2700 rpm for 3 mins max, from 3,500 to 12,000'

Max Continuous: 27" 2500 rpm 3500 to 20,000'

Max Continuous 25/25 from 20K to 25K'

I would call Bob (1-386-304-7079) at http://www.rajayparts.com/5.html and have him send you the manual. 

I have called Bob.  Thanks for the pictures as well.

31 minutes ago, wcb said:

Lean with TIT?  TIT is a new one for me?

Turbine Inlet Temp, to keep from burning up your turbo. It's roughly the same thing as measuring EGT on NA planes, except my exhaust then goes out the tail pipe and not into a turbo unit.

If you decide to go high (+13,000') make sure you understand/learn all you can about hypoxia and how it can affect YOU if you don't already know! Its nothing to play around with and its a sneaky little bastard that can grab you before you ever even know it. You can go nitey-night and never know what hit you. 

• Like 1

Yeah...TIT. Hopefully you have an engine monitor...and hopefully that engine monitor measures turbine inlet temp...which is basically a mixture of all the exhaust gas. You lean to peak TIT, then enrichen 100ish degrees depending on how you run your engine. 

I would think a engine monitor would be a great investment if your plane is w/o. I'm not a lot of help as I only have 25 hrs on my plane but the couple times I used it I climbed 25/25 and added turbo to hold 25 when the black knob stopped working. 

To me it feels like my cars turbo lag when it comes on.  I have not tried it in cruise yet as I'm building hrs and would like to stay away from 12 gph until I really need to get somewhere. 

10 hours ago, McMooney said:

I'm also based at hooks,  when will you be around?  I"d love to see this RayJay sweetness.

I will be there around 9 this morning.  You can PM me and let me know if you will be around of course I am happy to show off the new bird.

15 hours ago, Hank said:

Turbine Inlet Temp, to keep from burning up your turbo. It's roughly the same thing as measuring EGT on NA planes, except my exhaust then goes out the tail pipe and not into a turbo unit.

My plan is to add a JPI 830 or 900.  Right now it has a basic 4 cyl EGT and CHT gauge

10.JPG

No biggy--at least you have some sort of monitor. The hardest part is really take off...getting to full throttle, pushing in the turbo until it engages, making sure you don't go above 28.5, etc...everything else is really MP and temp management. It's a very simple system and as long as you keep CHTs below 400 (RayJay says 450) you'll be totally fine. Let me know if you have any questions...B