Electric Flap actuator rod end

Hi,

I'm a new member with a '69 M20C.  My C model has electric gear and flaps, which I really like so far!  I'm in the middle of my annual, and I found what may be an issue with my flaps.  I would like to know if any one else has run into this issue.  There is a rod end where the flap motor and jack screw connect to the torsion bar which raises and lowers the flaps.  Now, this rod end has a slot in it where it connects to the jack screw with a clevis pin and cotter pin.  This slot creates a lot of play in the flaps when it is not in the retracted position.  It seems like a manufactured slot but the fact it creates play doesn't seem right and my IA would like some answers!  

I've attached some pictures to help explain.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

20170726_120833.jpg

20170726_120912.jpg

Do you have a maintenance manual to go with that?

We may have one in the library around here...

My C was all manual, I don't recall the extent of the mod to go electric....

There was no slop in the manual hydraulic pump system.  If air has gotten into the system,  you may be getting air to compress allowing for slop(?)

PP thoughts only... not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

I don't have the parts book handy, but I seem to remember there was a rubber snubber that filled the space.  The slot just allows the snubber to do its job....

My recollection could be wrong.

I like what Yetti said about the slot being there for a place for the grease to escape.  The guys up at Lasar in California sold me some rubber bushings, but they look more like rubber washers for end play around the bolt end, which doesn't correct my problem.  The rod end is not threaded, so it slides up and down the clevis pin on the actuator.  I've never seen anything like it.  I was wondering if there are any other older C models out there with electric flaps.  How is your motor connected to the torsion bar?  Do you have the same slot on the rod end?  The guys at Lasar gave me the parts diagram for it, and quite frankly, I looked it over for just a few minutes and then I had to go out of town again.  Wednesday I'll get it out to the hangar and really take a look.  Hope this post wasn't a little premature!   Thanks for the replies!

Guest paulie

Is this a Aerostar Mooney? I believe they all have a stinger on the top fwd of the vertical. I had one and remember this fitting but can't find my old amm or ipc. Consider that there will be a air load on the flap and I think a snubber belongs there.

It's not an Aerostar Mooney.  My IA says his service manual and IPC doesn't show that rod end very well and after seeing the copy I received from Lasar, I agree.  I'll dig into it when I get back home and maybe it'll all make sence.

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2017 at 10:42 AM, Joe510 said:

Hi,

I'm a new member with a '69 M20C.  My C model has electric gear and flaps, which I really like so far!  I'm in the middle of my annual, and I found what may be an issue with my flaps.  I would like to know if any one else has run into this issue.  There is a rod end where the flap motor and jack screw connect to the torsion bar which raises and lowers the flaps.  Now, this rod end has a slot in it where it connects to the jack screw with a clevis pin and cotter pin.  This slot creates a lot of play in the flaps when it is not in the retracted position.  It seems like a manufactured slot but the fact it creates play doesn't seem right and my IA would like some answers!  

I've attached some pictures to help explain.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

20170726_120833.jpg

20170726_120912.jpg

Quick question:

Did your 69 have limit stops?

I’m willing to bet it doesn’t.