'Annual in lieu of Pre-Buy' - ?

Firebird2xc

6 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

At the risk of being pedantic,

It's pedantic :lol: 

I'm confident @M20Doc is referring to all Inspection panels. But would probably include such things as the back seat to expose the spar.

But we'll agree that pulling a cylinder is beyond the scope of a typical pre-buy.

• Haha 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I'm confident @M20Doc is referring to all Inspection panels. But would probably include such things as the back seat to expose the spar.

But we'll agree that pulling a cylinder is beyond the scope of a typical pre-buy.

You beat me to it, I guess I should have typed All inspection covers etc.  

Although I have done PPI’s which have led to cylinder removal, followed by engine removal for the bad camshaft to be replaced.  All agreed to by the seller and purchaser.

Clarence

23 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Not on a Lycoming that hasn’t flown much it’s not, and that’s  lot of  aircraft up for sale.

Two houses down a Lady sold a twin Comanche that had sat for a few years after the husband had passed, the buyers came down and pulled a couple of cylinders off both engines, according to them the left engine had rusted cylinders but the cam was fine.

‘I think they are rolling the dice, maybe they will get lucky, I’d suspect not, not with rusted cylinders, depends on what they paid for the airplane.

‘But anyway pulling a couple of cylinders is no big deal, but it’s something you have to have agreed on before the inspection. 

Pulling a cylinder on a Bonanza is apparently a real PIA but it doesn’t look like it should be on a Mooney.

Edited by A64Pilot

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I actually do hold a valid Transport Canada Aircraft Maintenance Engineers License, equivalent to A&P IA, and it’s not lapsed.

Clarence

Understood, but are you saying that someone who pays for a through pre purchase isn’t best served by turning it into an Annual?

Assuming of course the Annual wasn’t done the month prior to purchase, mine was, so I didn’t bother.

I’d say that most PPI’s we complete end up with a fresh 100 hour/ Annual inspection signed off.  If you’ve spent all the time, effort and money, it’s only a small step to completion and signing off the Annual.

Clarence

17 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’d say that most PPI’s we complete end up with a fresh 100 hour/ Annual inspection signed off.  If you’ve spent all the time, effort and money, it’s only a small step to completion and signing off the Annual.

Clarence

That is the only point I have been trying to make, of course it means either an IA or a Repair Station does the inspection.

This thread got loaded with some real junk...

Why go there..?

One of us is offering to throw punches...

Another is claiming pencil whipped annuals are common practice...

Some use a PPI to include more than an annual...

Some PPIs barely cover the basics...

It helps to read the whole thread before responding...

It really helps to read your own post after you write it...

Don’t be afraid to edit what you write...

Especially after accusing people of performing criminal activity... 

The world isn’t as bad as what is being portrayed in this thread...

We are clearly all on the same team...

Arguing the same points from the same side...

Try being nice to one another...  you never know who is going to help you out when you would like some help...

Ya killin’ me smalls... :)

-a-

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

That is the only point I have been trying to make, of course it means either an IA or a Repair Station does the inspection.

Only south of the border, here you’re either licensed in category or you’re not.  

Clarence

3 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Only south of the border, here you’re either licensed in category or you’re not.  

Clarence

Wasn’t aware of that. We had a bunch of aircraft up there, and Transport Canada was interesting to work with sometimes, polite, but interesting

It takes 48 months between school and shop to apply to write the final AME exam and if successful be licensed in either M-1 (gross weight less than 12000 lbs) or M-2 (over 12000 lbs jet powered). Once licensed you can sign out the airplane, including Annual if applicable.  Larger M-2 required a type rating.

Clarence