Bendix/King news on AvWeb about KI-300

What didn’t inspire confidence was this: I follow Kings Facebook page, and they posted a few weeks ago an ad for the KI300. So i immediately commented, first comment, “so does this mean it’s finally certified and shipping? After a day they responded, will have to get back to you on that. lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gsengle said:

After a day they responded, will have to get back to you on that. 

That's because they did not design the unit and have no control over production because it is 100 percent outsourced.  However, being the only one on MS that believes, I’m confident that Sandia will be shipping this winter (keep in mind winter in the UP can extend into June). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, carqwik said:

When did BK announce this KFC 230 digital a/p?  Looks like a slide in replacement for the KFC 150...of course, it's probably vaporware for now. 

http://www.bendixking.com/V4/KFC-230-AeroCruze

I think they have to wait for Garmin or Stec to build it for them (or put a piece of tape with “king” penciled on it over the logo). ;)

I will say this- even though I think it’s about $1500-$2000 more than it should be to really attract the crowd considering G5’s, Aspen’s or even G500’s.... I will probably end up buying one.  Why?  I’ve got a single tube Aspen, I do not have the $3200 autopilot adaptor for it, and the KI-256 that’s driving my KFC-150 sounds like someone threw a handful of gravel in it as it’s spinning down.  It’s days are numbered.

so I either have to buy an EA100 autopilot adaptor from aspen, and another backup AI, and have them installed, or buy this.  

Aspen EA100+ second aspen tube = 7-8K

install for that- $1500.. so in for about 9500.

Or, 6K and I’m good with a Ki-300.

of course, with the second aspen backup, I get more display space and charts/approach plates... and I’d be able to remove and sell all the analog instruments and the vacuum pump- so maybe I recoup 1500-2000.... now it’s looking much more equal in terms of cost but I’m “getting” more for my money with a second Aspen...

oh, and the Aspen is already available 

That's because they did not design the unit and have no control over production because it is 100 percent outsourced.  However, being the only one on MS that believes, I’m confident that Sandia will be shipping this winter (keep in mind winter in the UP can extend into June). 

You don’t put out ads heralding the unit on social media without knowing the answers already :)

I spoke with Sandia about 3 weeks ago. At that time the gentleman said they were finalizing the manual for the unit and would be ready to go in about a month. I asked what the next step would be. He said BK needs to finalize the STC with FAA.

I surmise from this timeline given to me by Sandia that at the present time the unit is done and waiting for BK to obtain obtain STC. Shouldn’t be too much longer. 

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, jonhop said:

It looks like the KI 300 is now available. The problem is that a KA 310 is needed to communicate with BK autopilots. So the waiting game continues... 

KI300.thumb.JPG.60f113aa454c7f80c3676a35a93a2a5b.JPG

But it is very gratifying to know that I can now buy the KI300 NOW to put it on the shelf in my hangar while I wait another few years for the KA310 to become available.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
13 minutes ago, globalpolygraph said:

The KA-310 is finally approved.  Anyone else going with the KI-300/KA-310 option to get rid of their KI-256?

Another option for an additional $3k is an Aspen E5 w/EA100. IMO the glideope/cdi display on the AI and the blue diamond track indicator on the “hsi” is well worth the price of admission. 

1 minute ago, MIm20c said:

Another option for an additional $3k is an Aspen E5 w/EA100. IMO the glideope/cdi display on the AI and the blue diamond track indicator on the “hsi” is well worth the price of admission. 

Truthfully you're not going to want to keep the King Analog HSI anyway, so you'd either pair the KI-300 with a G5 or just go with the Aspen.

Waiting on a quote for the KI300/KA310 and if it’s reasonable I plan on the install. The KI256 had electrical issues with the autopilot so using a “loaner” while I wait for another quote. First quote for an Aspen 1000 Max and EA100 install was just shy of 30k and out of the current budget.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Speed Brakes said:

Waiting on a quote for the KI300/KA310 and if it’s reasonable I plan on the install. The KI256 had electrical issues with the autopilot so using a “loaner” while I wait for another quote. First quote for an Aspen 1000 Max and EA100 install was just shy of 30k and out of the current budget.

Wow! Was that for 1000 max and EA100 only? 

• 4 weeks later...

Update. 

Bendix King replaced my unit under warranty. They sent me a brand new unit that they tested extensively before sending it out to me. They also paid the avionics shop for their time swapping it. So far, 1.3 hours on it,  it has not drifted off yet. Great customer service!

Edited by J0nathan225
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, J0nathan225 said:

Update. 

Bendix King replaced my unit under warranty. They sent me a brand new unit that they tested extensively before sending it out to me. They also paid the avionics shop for their time swapping it. So far, 1.3 hours on it,  it has not drifted off yet. Great customer service!

Jonathan, 

I'm glad everything went well! Please let me know if you need anything else

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1