Aspiring Mooney owner needs a little help...

Hey all,

Charlie here.  I'm airplane shopping and I'm leaning quite heavily towards an M20J.  I live in the Jupiter, FL, area, and would be tying down nearby.  My home field for now is F45.

I've sat in one, and it's a bit snug, but for the most part I liked it.  I've never flown one, though.  I found a local club that has one, surprisingly, but it's out for long term maintenance.   Is there anybody around that rents time in Mooneys, or maybe even somebody that would take me around the patch a time or two just to let me try the airplane on for size?  I'm more than willing to comp fuel, lunch, etc.  (I'd offer sexual favors but my lawyer tells me I granted my wife exclusive rights with steep penalities...)

I'm a well qualified buyer, and am sussing out financing, etc.  I don't have renters insurance but can get it quite soon.  As for prior experience, I'm an ATP with 6200 hours.  I haven't flown much in the last two years, but have a current BFR and medical.

Anyone with suggestions is welcome to chime in, by all means.   Thanks again.

Pic for attention.

fighterpilot.jpg

Edited by Firebird2xc
clarification
  • Like 1

I missed your location? Mooney's are great for getting round the country and so your location isn't mandatory, but knowing what airport you're based at might get you a quicker ride.

BTW... if you're interested in a J, and trying it on for size, an F and K are exactly the same size. And even most C's and E's are the same size front seats forward. So you don't necessarily require a J to try the size on.

Hey, thanks.  Sorry, I edited above to clarify- I'm on the Atlantic coast of Florida not far from West Palm Beach.

I don't want a K model because I don't want a turbo.  I didn't know the F and K were the same size, though.  That's helpful.  I mostly went for the J because it's the newest/fastest short of the turbo airplanes.

Just now, Firebird2xc said:

Hey, thanks.  Sorry, I edited above to clarify- I'm on the Atlantic coast of Florida not far from West Palm Beach.

I don't want a K model because I don't want a turbo.  I didn't know the F and K were the same size, though.  That's helpful.  I mostly went for the J because it's the newest/fastest short of the turbo airplanes.

I fly a K but the J is the right answer. I only mentioned it because of the size.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Firebird2xc said:

J is perfect for us east coasters.  Actually, they have normally aspirated long body mooneys that are faster but 160 knots while sipping fuel is great for most of us.  Anyway, welcome, and I hope you find the perfect plane for what you need.

Just now, rbridges said:

J is perfect for us east coasters.  Actually, they have normally aspirated long body mooneys that are faster but 160 knots while sipping fuel is great for most of us.  Anyway, welcome, and I hope you find the perfect plane for what you need.

Thanks for the welcome and well-wishes.  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Drew_Wagner said:

I'll be down your way next week in my 78 j. Send me your number and I'll be happy to take you up. I'll be in town Thursday and Friday this week

Drew- thanks man, I just might take you up on that.

Edited by Firebird2xc

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 10:30 PM, Drew_Wagner said:

I'll be down your way next week in my 78 j. Send me your number and I'll be happy to take you up. I'll be in town Thursday and Friday this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw you takeoff yesterday from Stuart just as I was pulling onto the run-up pad. Nice looking machine.

I saw you takeoff yesterday from Stuart just as I was pulling onto the run-up pad. Nice looking machine.

I appreciate it. Stuart is a great airport. Charlie and I went up last week and I think he saw the Mooney light. A nice J will spoil you!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 9:43 PM, Drew_Wagner said:

I appreciate it. Stuart is a great airport. Charlie and I went up last week and I think he saw the Mooney light. A nice J will spoil you!

Totally saw the Mooney light!  I'm sitting at Don Maxwell's place waiting on results from a pre-buy inspection as we speak.   Here's to hoping!

• Like 4

On 8/16/2017 at 10:47 AM, flyboy0681 said:

How's it coming along?

Poorly.   The aircraft was a wreck.  It needed $10k in repairs, as well as an approximately $11k engine tear down for a cylinder base oil leak that was on the report but for some reason the inspector refused to put in the repair estimate.  It was ugly.  Despite sending a photo of the oil puddle in the engine bay the broker refused to even acknowledge it exists.  The inspector tells me there's RTV smeared around the base of the cylinder.  Sounds like a bandaid to me.  As this airplane was marketed as a well equipped, well maintained airframe with an engine that has been and would continue in service past TBO, I'm confused by the inspector's insistence that the engine is run out and the leak would be handled in overhaul.  Very confusing.  

My favorite part is the structural damage found in the nose wheel well.  Apparently there's a hole that goes clean though to the cabin. My faith in 'reputable shops' is a bir shaken, too.  Could all of this have happened since the last annual?  Maybe, but I doubt it. How all this got   by the shop maintaining the airplane I can only speculate.

The broker and seller made concessions to meet repair costs for the first $10k in repairs but since nobody can seem to give me a straight answer regarding the oil leak, and given the horrendous condition of the airplane in general, I decided to pass.

I'm out travel expenses and the cost of inspection, but so long as my deposit is returned without drama I'd consider this a disappointing but reasonable and fair outcome.  I think the real issue is the seller, who is reported to be extremely attached to squeezing every possible cent out of a neglected airplane.  I'd certainly do business with the inspector and broker again.  Nice, helpful people all around.  I see the seller's name again I'm not even looking twice.

Yikes!

Like many have said here, it's not an easy process and there are people trying to screw you every step of the way. What's the tail number of it?

I consider myself very lucky because the plane I bought into the partnership with is extremely clean and very well maintained. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Keep on truckin.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Yikes!

Like many have said here, it's not an easy process and there are people trying to screw you every step of the way. What's the tail number of it?

I consider myself very lucky because the plane I bought into the partnership with is extremely clean and very well maintained. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Keep on truckin.

N201QS.  Like I said, I don't hold any bad feelings towards to the brokers or inspectors.  I think the seller kind of screwed us all here.

As has been said, a good prebuy inspection is worth way more than you pay for it, and I more than got my money's worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firebird2xc said:

N201QS.  Like I said, I don't hold any bad feelings towards to the brokers or inspectors.  I think the seller kind of screwed us all here.

As has been said, a good prebuy inspection is worth way more than you pay for it, and I more than got my money's worth.

When you feel the wind from the bullet as it goes by you rather than the baseball-bat-like impact when it hits you, it's a good day.

Any PPI saving 5 digits of expense on your new plane is a bargain.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

When you feel the wind from the bullet as it goes by you rather than the baseball-bat-like impact when it hits you, it's a good day.

Any PPI saving 5 digits of expense on your new plane is a bargain.

Yeah.  I definitely dodged a 30mm colonic here... :D

Hopefully,

you have a better feel for what you want, and how to recognize it from what is available...

what that price range...

and have the ability to move even quicker on the next one...

My first move on a machine, after all the documents and pictures being emailed, is a visit to go see it, and have a quick flight...  mostly looking for leaks, and other oddities that come with flying... flying with the owner is a great way to build rapport...

This is great if your not looking for the cheapest one...

Low cost machines are not the lowest cost over time...

You have also proved to yourself some market philosophy...  your first loss is your best loss...  the cost of the PPI is tiny compared to being stuck with an une pected big project.

Good luck on the next one!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1