OSH rumors for KT 76 owners-What if I said-

cliffy

What if I said there are rumors of a KT 76 replacement (same wiring plug) that is a brand new digital Xponder with ADSB in&out (compatible with numerous iPad and Android platforms via wifi or bluetooth) AND with a built in WAAS motor, basically change the box (because it needs a new hole for the new included WAAS antenna connection), resecure the old wiring plug to the back, install and  hook up the WAAS antenna and set up the parameters in the ADSB- good to go. Uses the current xponder antenna. 

All for @ $3500.  Do you think it is a good deal? "Might" show up at OSH next year.  :-)

Now Garmin has their new "inline" ADSB box that makes install easy but if it is going on a KT 76 it will need a recalibration on the bench because the new box being spliced into the antenna lead will change the tuning of the old fashion "cavity tube"  in the 76 and you still have the old style xponder. .

• Like 1

You had me up until the price point. With the current rebate, I could be ADS-B out with the Garmin model for well under $2k. Do you have any source on the Garmin needing the xponder to be tuned? Is this something a xponder shop can do? I paid $114 for a guy out in the panhandle realign the power and frequency on my circa-80's model.

I think the 330ES converted is tha best deal going right now. 1500$ and no cavity to go bad.  And the 500$ rebate.

The GTX345r (in and out)  is hellishly expensive, but half the guys I hang with at the airport have bought one.  Around 6-7k laid in. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

Straight from Garmin on having the 76 retuned due to the cavity tube. Other digital xponders won't need that. Also I've got some background in radios and antennas. 

I'm looking for a good all inclusive deal in&out, new xponder, several platforms and with built in WAAS as I have no panel mounted WAAS receiver.

AND I use Android, iPads suck :-) 

38 minutes ago, Yetti said:

No thanks.  It is still $100.00 of hardware and some software.   The ping guys are already there hardware and price point and working on the STC.

OK, so the Ping200S series gets certified and you stuff it under the panel. Does this mean you no longer need any other transponder? In other words, having Mode S negates the need for Mode C and the entering of a squawk code?

Guest paulie

The echo adsb currently available for LSA and experimental uses existing xponder. It's all on their web site you just need to read it. Yes if you buy a mode s you no longer need a mode c, that would be redundant broadcasting two xponder signals.

Me three...

Doesn't Mode C broadcast my tail number registered to a unique serial number of my transponder.

FlightAware knows my location and personal information. Enough detail that can look up my 98 on my written IFR exam...

Why would they want to have me reverse dial in, a four digit code before I forget the code and get it incorrect..?

This makes no sense from a technology point of view. Is there somehow a link to privacy that I am missing.

Best regards,

-a-

FlightAware knows my location and personal information. Enough detail that can look up my 98 on my written IFR exam...

Seriously? I opted out, if I go to FAA website and search for myself I don't show up, but if I look at others they don't have this detail, so where would FA get it?

Maybe its a different T J Evans...

The tale number they list, begins with a 4 and ends with an H...

All the pertinent details for that plane are listed.

I looked up my name.  I share it with at least two other people, one of us is  JR.

Send me a PM if you want the details of this TJ's plane, privately.

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Why would they want to have me reverse dial in, a four digit code before I forget the code and get it incorrect..?

This makes no sense from a technology point of view. Is there somehow a link to privacy that I am missing.

Best regards,

-a-

I met with SoCal approach staff when getting a facility tour.  He jokingly said "what is ADS-B?"  before explaining some more.  At least for now, their equipment is not taking advantage of the ADS-B added information.  It may be read into the system somewhere, and maybe even responsible for something on the displays, but the actual controller you are talking to gets nothing from ADS-B and their system still relies on the squawk code.  

There are some controllers on this forum who may be able to provide more info, or maybe let me know that it varies by region?

-dan 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Me three...

Doesn't Mode C broadcast my tail number registered to a unique serial number of my transponder.

regards,

-a-

No, I think that's mode S mode C they're just by correlating what you filed in the flight plan or told atc when they gen'd the code. You could give them another N number and it will show that

-Robert

• Like 1