Flying to see the Eclipse

Most all of eastern OR is full and Casper is topped out, no more reservations. I'll be in Douglas WY or wherever the clouds aren't in that part of the country. All hotels along the path in the western half of the US are full and the rates for what's left are running $500 or more for 1 night (usually $80).  We're in Craig, CO the night before. An easy 45 mins to the path but the rooms are affordable. Check out tripadvisor for room prices, it'll scare ya.  It'll be a zoo. We're getting a cab to town for a long lunch after the show. We're also bringing drinks and food to the airport along with folding chairs :-) Casper has arrivals from many countries wanting Customs there to check in. Its a 1 man outpost.  Every airport along the path will be like leaving OSH at the end. 

10 hours ago, cliffy said:

Most all of eastern OR is full and Casper is topped out, no more reservations. I'll be in Douglas WY or wherever the clouds aren't in that part of the country. All hotels along the path in the western half of the US are full and the rates for what's left are running $500 or more for 1 night (usually $80).  We're in Craig, CO the night before. An easy 45 mins to the path but the rooms are affordable. Check out tripadvisor for room prices, it'll scare ya.  It'll be a zoo. We're getting a cab to town for a long lunch after the show. We're also bringing drinks and food to the airport along with folding chairs :-) Casper has arrivals from many countries wanting Customs there to check in. Its a 1 man outpost.  Every airport along the path will be like leaving OSH at the end. 

I may see you in Douglas.   Way may be there, or Lusk, or Guernsey, or Torrington, or Scottsbluff, depending on where we can get in.   I do expect it to be busy everywhere.  I think Douglas may be swamped with the overflow from Casper.

3 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

Yup, but no NOTAM or controllers to keep it organized.

I've talked to somebody at most of the fields in the area and they're doing a lot of prep for the expected traffic.   I think many of the untowered fields will have somebody on the radio.

Actually the "Douglas" airport is closed and the other one near the city is Converse County KDGW.  I talked to them a couple days ago and they are parking all small stuff on the grass (they just mowed it) and the big stuff on concrete. I hear Lusk is full (second hand info)

On 7/29/2017 at 8:43 PM, McMooney said:

Hey anyone planning on flying to see the eclipse ?  I'm really really thinking about it, trying to decide on the best place.

So far I've come up with:

ST. Joseph Missouri and Charleston, SC

Thoughts ?

Columbia Missouri

Alliance Nebraska

Jackson Hole Wyoming

All three are dead center on the path. I am going to watch weather and then make a plan.

Edit: all three airports are dead center.

Edited by jgarrison
Addl info

1 hour ago, jgarrison said:

Columbia Missouri

Alliance Nebraska

Jackson Hole Wyoming

All three are dead center on the path. I am going to watch weather and then make a plan.

I called Alliance a week ago and they were already out of parking space. 

1 hour ago, jgarrison said:

Columbia Missouri

Alliance Nebraska

Jackson Hole Wyoming

Hey Jimmy!

Skipthe hole and go to driggs if you can get space.

I put my eggs in the McCall ID basket. They're not taking reservations so I'm a bit worried.

1 hour ago, peevee said:

Hey Jimmy!

Skipthe hole and go to driggs if you can get space.

I put my eggs in the McCall ID basket. They're not taking reservations so I'm a bit worried.

I think Columbia MS is the best for me. Maybe Gallatin TN if I can get in. Would love to go to ID, but I plan on making it a quick out and back, maybe just a day trip. 

10 minutes ago, jgarrison said:

I think Columbia MS is the best for me. Maybe Gallatin TN if I can get in. Would love to go to ID, but I plan on making it a quick out and back, maybe just a day trip. 

Long way from tx that's for sure. Might be nice to get out of the heat though!

The Colorado Pilots Assn.has planned a fly-in to Alliance, Neb.  We got an allocation of 50 parking spaces and will be joining another 200 aircraft or so for the event.  I am thinking that the excitement of the eclipse will be eclipsed by the excitement of the arrival and departure.  This event should be intense.  BTW the airport will be closed to all except for the registrants.  Hats off to the FBO and town for allowing this to happen.

On 7/29/2017 at 10:38 PM, carusoam said:

I've got clouds in my coffee...

clouds in my coffee...

So vain, :)

-a-

Holy cow, my memories ARE coming back...

Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun
But mama, that's where the fun is
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, larryb said:

Flying to Corvalis, OR, KCVO tomorrow. They are closing the crosswind runway for parking. We have family there so no need for a car or hotel.

Oregon is freaking out. Have family in mmv and they're panicking there. Be interesting to see if it materializes or not.

1 hour ago, Chupacabra said:

Go get yourself some Cheap Sunglasses....

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun
But mama, that's where the fun is

Ah, Manfred Mann...what a perfect song.  Am I the only one who in my youth didn't understand these lyrics and wondered what it mean to be "wrapped up like douche..."?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Ah, Manfred Mann...what a perfect song.  Am I the only one who in my youth didn't understand these lyrics and wondered what it mean to be "wrapped up like douche..."?!

Ha, funny thats the way we always sang it. Supposed to be revved up like a deuce.

Planning a flight from Buffalo to Knoxville, TN for the Eclipse and then driving a bit on Monday to get to an overlook near the Smokey Mountains. Just got my instrument rating today, so good timing :).

Edited by AlexLev