Flying to see the Eclipse

34 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I've got clouds in my coffee...

clouds in my coffee...

So vain, :)

-a-

Holy cow, my memories ARE coming back...

Love the Marilyn Manson and Johnny Depp cover of that song.  Seeing Manson in Boston on October 2.  Maybe doing one of his Vegas shows with my friend Mickey Avalon (a google search is not for the faint of heart).  

But back on topic, I am not working that day.  The plan is to check and see where the weather is best in the 100% occlusion band and head that way.   At this point, I plan to watch from the air with my girlfriend and daughter.   And then grab lunch somewhere and head back to Erie that day.   I am sure that I overpaid for some paper glasses to protect our vision during the viewing.  But at least I did the responsible parent thing on the vision preservation.  My daughter knows Mickey Avalon and likes Marilyn Manson.  Not winning any awards for those.  Like @gsxrpilot, I am thankful that the Mooney makes this a quick lunch run! 

I'm not sure what to expect in terms of traffic that day.  I'll make sure that I am above any clouds   The best area to be is likely that no man's land between 12 and 18k.   Too low for the turbines and too high for most of the rental 172's that will be out that day .

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.070800b3fb4630123c093470872826f8.JPG

(This picture is at my house.  Mooneyspace invited to fly in for the next party)

Brad

• Like 3

That would be the other thread...  An eclipse...

I'm trying to sell Dr. Ken on the single turbine idea...  :)

But, it sure is a reminder to use the search function, PRIOR to starting a new thread...  :) :)

Thanks to 201er for trying to link the two together...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, McMooney said:

Hey anyone planning on flying to see the eclipse ?  I'm really really thinking about it, trying to decide on the best place.

So far I've come up with:

ST. Joseph Missouri and Charleston, SC

Thoughts ?

I was going to do KLRO (Mt. Pleasant, a bit better choice versus Charleston) until I heard about this:

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/eclipse-fly-in.php

• Like 2

Anyone coming to LRO is welcome to join us for a cookout and viewing party in Awendaw SC to be one of the last people in the US to see the eclipse from the middle of the band. DM me if interested and I'll be happy to help arrange transportation from the airport. Fingers crossed for severe clear or we may be taking the party to the air to get above the clouds and find a clear view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning on going to Clemson SC (KCEU) if the weather looks good. Or as an alternative, just go up in the air above the clouds and view it from the sky. I read somewhere that watching the shadow zoom along the ground is pretty cool. And maybe even get a few minutes of night flight!

KHOP is full.  Planning on KSRB, but I'm not married to that location if its not clear.  Too bad its not today because the entire southeast and mid Atlantic area is dominated by high pressure and dry air.

If I have to go in the air I plan on 14.5 to watch the shadow approach, orbit for a while, and then descend to 13.5 to watch the shadow depart. That should be a real spectacle if its clear above and there is a smooth overcast below. 

I already have the eye protection, but if flying then somebody should be watching for traffic.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:43 PM, McMooney said:

Hey anyone planning on flying to see the eclipse ?  I'm really really thinking about it, trying to decide on the best place.

So far I've come up with:

ST. Joseph Missouri and Charleston, SC

Thoughts ?

St. Joe being that close to Kansas City will likely be a madhouse. 

My idea was to head to KVER.

Edited by revwatch

I will be stepping out on my front porch. They are closing our airport KGCD. They are planning on 30,000 people coming to our community to watch it for all of 2:03 minutes. It's going to get crazy since me only have 8,000 in our whole county.

• Haha 1

It's going to get crazy since me only have 8,000 in our whole county.

But how many in the total eclipse path?

Better off landing outside the zone to pick up some cheaper fuel and then go airborne and follow the eclipse, I would go up to 10-16k where there is the least traffic.
  • Like 1

See if I got this right...

1) while standing still, the event lasts only 2':03” ?

2) The duration is going to depend on...

• relative speed of the moon compared to the earth's rotation.
  • relative speed of the earth and moon compared to the sun.
  • relative speed of your Mooney to the earth.
  • relative size of the moon, sun and earth.

3) The Mooney is going to have to travel at GodSpeed to keep up with the big shadow...

4) Make sure you get there early.  There is no time for a Do-over.  

5) This could make an epic Mooney video...:)

6) Keep safety in mind while planning...

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/31/2017 at 3:29 AM, teejayevans said:

But how many in the total eclipse path?

Better off landing outside the zone to pick up some cheaper fuel and then go airborne and follow the eclipse, I would go up to 10-16k where there is the least traffic.

Follow the eclipse . . . Which will be moving in the neighborhood of 2000 mph (faster in oregon, slower in SC). It won't make a second's difference. Best viewing will be on the ground, where you aren't distracted by having to fly the durn airplane.

You airborne people with paper glasses, be careful!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 6:58 AM, Drew_Wagner said:

Anyone coming to LRO is welcome to join us for a cookout and viewing party in Awendaw SC to be one of the last people in the US to see the eclipse from the middle of the band. DM me if interested and I'll be happy to help arrange transportation from the airport. Fingers crossed for severe clear or we may be taking the party to the air to get above the clouds and find a clear view.

We'll be in Charleston from the 18th forward and have a rental car. I'll DM you my contact information.