Flying to see the Eclipse

Here's a vid I took at Douglas watching for the approach of the shadow.   The auto-iris and other processing in my cellphone camera really diminished the effect of actually being there, but it still captured the approach of the shadow to a good degree.   This was a very, very fun trip.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

Here's Madras OR after the event :-)

That's crazy! It'd be just as quick, and use less gas, to wait in a chair and watch the takeoffs. 

There were a couple of jets way back in the line, too . . . .

That video was a crack-up...you could tell it was from Oregon just by looking at the wing shapes.  RV RV RV RV Bonanza Cessna....RV RV RV RV etc.  A few twin engines, even a corporate jet and a few Mooneys including one toward the end of the line.  But the biggest laugh was the RV going backwards in the line!  I had to wonder about that one.

:)

1 hour ago, SethKeefer said:

Did anyone else notice the April 8, 2024 eclipse totality goes right through Kerrville?  4m 22s....

IMG_0182.PNG

Yes I did.  It sounds like we need to coordinate a Mooney only event there.  If you are not flying a Mooney you can not land for the eclipse.:)

• Like 2

We were 1 of 50+ ifr aircraft filed to Paducah the morning of the eclipse. I figured five vfr aircraft for each ifr meant a likely oversaturated mess. Trying to get fuel for the return etc not fun. We bagged it, and the clouds broke just in time for great viewing of our 90%.

Returning home ,I noticed all the 'tis b targets over bend/ madras all headed south.First time I've seen target saturation on the garmin.Seattle ATC was absolutely refusing any more vfr advisories and I heard a couple departures asking for IFR pop ups...all negative..unable go land and file on the ground.The controllers all acted pooped out...visibility very poor due to all the forest fire smoke....this is where ads b in really proved it self...poor Vis combined with overwhelmed ATC unable to provide radar advisories

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Returning home ,I noticed all the 'tis b targets over bend/ madras all headed south.First time I've seen target saturation on the garmin.Seattle ATC was absolutely refusing any more vfr advisories and I heard a couple departures asking for IFR pop ups...all negative..unable go land and file on the ground.The controllers all acted pooped out...visibility very poor due to all the forest fire smoke....this is where ads b in really proved it self...poor Vis combined with overwhelmed ATC unable to provide radar advisories

Seattle will deny flight following on a normal day. 

I was the 5th plane off the ground only 10 miles from the Charlie airspace.  Just after entering the Charlie, atc started telling everyone else not to enter the airspace.  I must have heard 20 requests for Vfr FF within just a couple minutes.  We were lucky to be one of the first to depart.  We cranked up just a couple minutes after the sun started coming back out. 

I wore a NASA polo that I bought a few weeks ago at Cape Canaveral.  Hundreds of planes and thousands of people and we walked around and opened up conversations by saying I was there to make sure everyone had glasses that were ISO 90210 compliant.  Very few people caught on right away, but after we fessed up we got a lot of laughs and met a lot of nice people.  

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t see how that’s a native shot, without compositioning in Photoshop. The size of the eclipse image compared to the clouds and the other airplane is just not in perspective. To get the eclipse that large in the frame would require a strong telephoto lens, which would then distort the clouds and other plane (even if you could get them in the same shot...which is doubtful). So while it is a nice composition and great art, I call BS on it being a native image.

• Like 1