KSPA to KBZN 1500miles

INA201

My wife and I enjoy snow skiing out west but haven't tried flying this long of a voyage in the Mooney.  I wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts or apprehension on making these types of journeys and what reservations you guys may have?  I have no experience flying in the higher elevations like Montana.   What would be some things to consider and plan for regarding the plane itself and the mountains? I'm very conservative and would likely try it with light winds.  The flight plan I quickly came up with gives 1800 ft clearance over the highest terrain and follows victor routes into KBZN.  I will be instrument rated prior to this winter as well.  Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you guys.

IMG_0374.PNG

Bozeman isn't all that high and sits in a huge valley (Gallatin) your standard winter hazards are going to apply, plus that cut in the terrain you planned through at Livingston funnels the wind, it's very windy there in the winter. Otherwise there's very little terrain to worry about, you can follow the interstate.

• Like 1

I've only ridden the airlines into Bozeman, but it's beautiful country, especially the drive to Yellowstone through Paradise Valley. 

Took my wife out there a few years ago in the Mooney, flew in and out of Cody, WY, KCOD. We went up to the Billings VOR and flew south through the valley at 8500 msl, looking up at the mountains in both sides . . . Not what we were used to from the Appalachians (we lived, and I trained, in WV at the time).

Visibility is wonderful! You'll have a hard time finding the airports, you'll be looking way past them. Poor visibility in WY / MT is 50 miles, I spotted COD just before it disappeared under the cowl, despite starting to look 15 nm out.

Have fun! And fly safe!

Looks like you should have a great flight going in there. I've read Mountain Flying Bible by Sparky Imerson. It's a good read and I reference it a lot in the blues, cascades, and west side of the Rockies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/29/2017 at 9:47 AM, peevee said:

Bozeman isn't all that high and sits in a huge valley (Gallatin) your standard winter hazards are going to apply, plus that cut in the terrain you planned through at Livingston funnels the wind, it's very windy there in the winter. Otherwise there's very little terrain to worry about, you can follow the interstate.

Lvl is windy all the time!I was just there 2 weeks ago and it was 23 gusting to 36..,his route follows the interstate and is ok if vfr...I wouldn't consider it in winter if any clouds arround...it's a little ice factory and I typically fly there in the fall where I needed the fiki tks 

11 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Looks like you should have a great flight going in there. I've read Mountain Flying Bible by Sparky Imerson. It's a good read and I reference it a lot in the blues, cascades, and west side of the Rockies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky was my mentor too!Unfortunately he finally made a fatal mistake not too far from Bozeman up towards Helena as I recall

• Like 1