New Starter - Advice needed

As a matter of fact my starter died at KDTS in Destin FL last week:angry:.  She would not crank and long story short it was raining, kinda high profile airport, and there was nobody interested in doing an old fashioned hand prop.  Usually its an easy 3hr 20min home, but I couldn't get an easy last second commercial and HAD to be at work Tuesday so I drove a rental home for 11 hours with 2 pittstops. 

Good news is they installed a brand new 149-NL yesterday and I get to go back to the beach again on Tuesday :)....but gotta drive this rental back. 

• Like 1

I put a Sky-Tec 149-NL quite while ago.I think  I had modify the  engine baffling just a little bit. other than that no  complaints. you probably already aware ....  some where  in the mid 60's I was told that is when starter  ring gear (starter support assembly)  had change.  the number of  teeth went  from 122 to 149 on the ring gear make sure you get correct one. If you going from a old bendix / presolite  starter  to Skytec ... you  will love it,  saves weight and turns the  blades so quick on start up. 

James '67C

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Aside from simply not functioning anymore, are there any warning signs that a starter is about to go bad?

Ours slowed down considerably when starting hot.   That's when we looked at it closely. 

I did the 149-NL Also change out the starter relay. It's cheap and accessible. 

I also installed a new concord sealed battery. The high amp one. I  can probably taxi just with the starter. 

Edited by Jim Peace
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had my original starter shatter the bendix at KBHM on a 28 degree (F) night last December after a long day working a forensic data analysis case there. Drove 3hrs to Aircraft Spruce in ATL, picked up a 149NL to be installed (Along with some other stuff I couldn't live without such as a LEMO harness for my A20, and some tools I had been eyeballing). Drove back to BHM, Got new starter installed, and flew right out. Install took all of 2.5hrs. Love it all over again every time I turn the key. Not long before this, I replaced the battery (a 5 year old Concorde 35AXC) thinking it was failing because the plane was slow to turn over and hard to start. Ended up being the starter paired with a grounded out Shower of Sparks internal contact lead on the right mag. Changed the battery, vacuum pump since it was showing weakness, and had the mag issue fixed. The starter shattered less than 20 days later. No complaints since installing, but probably could have gotten a little more life out of the old battery based on how effortlessly fast the 149NL spins. 

Edited by rubixcube2k3
  • Like 1

I had a 149-HT and the case was found broken during annual.  It was replaced with a 149-NL.  The NL is prettier but the HT spins the prop faster.  Hopefully the new one will last longer than 4 years.  The HT was operating just fine even though broken and was installed 4 years prior to my buying the plane.

starter149HT.jpg

149HT crack.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 7:56 PM, Whiskey Charlie said:

Aside from simply not functioning anymore, are there any warning signs that a starter is about to go bad?

The bendix on the Prestolite will start to not work properly.  It's an $11.00 part from NAPA to change out.   But once you pull the starter you realize you don't want to have to do that again so you get a upgraded one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BC315-100-2  Starter (12v) 149 teeth STC/PMA

You might want to check your flywheel and count teeth just to be sure.  

What I found (after I asked the IA if he wanted to do it and he laughed at me)  Drop the bottom cowl up against the propeller.  Remove the Alternator,  to get to the two backside bolts on the starter. Also get some thick felt to fix up the holes.   There will need to be a little sheet metal work because it sits different than the Prestolite starter.  File and dremel tool get that custom fit. 

• Like 1

This thread makes me wonder if I should replace my starter with the Skytec as well.  My Prestolite was overhauled 20 years ago and seems to crank ok, but I wonder how much life it has remaining? 

Also I've owned the plane for 3 years, and it's always been a bear to start cold at temps as high as the mid 50's F - i.e. warm enough  that preheating shouldn't be required.  I wonder if this issue reflects a weaker starter.  Changing the battery to a new Concorde made no difference. It's always been a breeze to start hot, at temps above 60F, or with preheating. 

4 hours ago, DXB said:

This thread makes me wonder if I should replace my starter with the Skytec as well.  My Prestolite was overhauled 20 years ago and seems to crank ok, but I wonder how much life it has remaining? 

Also I've owned the plane for 3 years, and it's always been a bear to start cold at temps as high as the mid 50's F - i.e. warm enough  that preheating shouldn't be required.  I wonder if this issue reflects a weaker starter.  Changing the battery to a new Concorde made no difference. It's always been a breeze to start hot, at temps above 60F, or with preheating. 

I wish I had either replaced or had my old SkyTec sent in for rebulid.  In retrospect it was showing signs with slower cranking on a new battery and all of a sudden just died 11 hours from home by car.  Learn from my mistake, these starteres don't last forever.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2017 at 1:17 PM, Yetti said:

BC315-100-2  Starter (12v) 149 teeth STC/PMA

You might want to check your flywheel and count teeth just to be sure.  

What I found (after I asked the IA if he wanted to do it and he laughed at me)  Drop the bottom cowl up against the propeller.  Remove the Alternator,  to get to the two backside bolts on the starter. Also get some thick felt to fix up the holes.   There will need to be a little sheet metal work because it sits different than the Prestolite starter.  File and dremel tool get that custom fit. 

Thanks, I went down and counted teeth today, it seems I have a 122 tooth flywheel - interesting since every place I checked for a starter indicated that I was supposed to have a 149 tooth flywheel.  My '62 Mooney is one of the early C models though, I am glad I checked!

On 9/30/2017 at 1:25 PM, DXB said:

I sure read about a lot of Skytec starter failures on here. Not so much for the Prestolite. For now I'm keeping mine. It goes on and on and although it's heavy I haven't seen a busted case on one. 

6 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I sure read about a lot of Skytec starter failures on here. Not so much for the Prestolite. For now I'm keeping mine. It goes on and on and although it's heavy I haven't seen a busted case on one. 

My A&P said to get the B&C - Skytec's don't seem to last as long.