1968 M20F For Sale

I hate to do it but I learned the hard way.  Man should not fly but walk if they were meant to fly we'd have wings on our backs.  I am selling my bird.

this is what I have done:

-new wing leveler servos

-new oil cooler with all new lines

-new fuel servo/new fuel lines

-new battery

-new LED lights

-new mags

-new starter

-new vacuum pump

- new flap actuator pump

-new gear motor

-new fuel selector

-new master cylinder

-new tires/tubes

-new front wheel

-new wheel bearings

-new rotors/brakes

-new gear doors, and front lower panels from mooney

-one piece belly pan

-oil filter relocation kit with airwolf catch system

The interior was redone in 2010 it is an 8 out 10 and exterior is 7 out of 10.  It needs instrument upgrade.  The engine is solid. just sick of oil leaks.  1175 on reman.  3980TT airframe. 

2 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

I hate to do it but I learned the hard way.  Man should not fly but walk if they were meant to fly we'd have wings on our backs.  I am selling my bird. 40K.  I'm into it for 86K

At times I have had many struggles over the course of two different planes I have owned. I don't remember all of your posts, but everything with you and your plane has been very manic, as a young plane owner I learned very quickly that it requires a lot of tolerance for stuff we would all prefer not to tolerate. I'm sorry to see this post.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear your giving up I have followed your posts and to be critical you never seemed too far off and to be real critical compared to what I had to go through to get mine in order yours was a walk in the park, But I understand if you dont think it's right perhaps there is someone else that can take it the rest of the way.  Good luck

• Like 1

I appreciate all the right words but I am sick to my stomach of all the what ifs.  This is a mechanical bird and it should not be that difficult to fix.  But there are so many rules and so many requirements and so many greedy companies that if this happened to the auto industry nobody would be driving.  I am not saying it doesn't have to be but its not for me.  I am truly sorry I wasted this forums time.  This is a great forum and it is a wealth of information but my fault for not finding it before I bought.  It wasn't my first plane but it was my first low wing complex.  I let my wants exceed my needs and allowed "pretty" to over rule my one cardinal rule "mechanical first".    I am not leaving MS I'm just posting that it is up for sale and when it goes I'll decide.  I am stupid deep in this plane and after this last 2hr flight I am pissed.  I hate oil and I hate making a mess and I hate when I am flying and I lose power or instruments.  Especially when I am spending and spending and replacing parts and those parts are failing.  If I treated my customers as I have been treated I wouldn't be able to afford this endeavor.  I have just had bad luck with this one.  Maybe the next one will be better.  Hell maybe I'll buy a 2 door Mooney just cause.

23 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

I appreciate all the right words but I am sick to my stomach of all the what ifs.  This is a mechanical bird and it should not be that difficult to fix.  But there are so many rules and so many requirements and so many greedy companies that if this happened to the auto industry nobody would be driving.  I am not saying it doesn't have to be but its not for me.  I am truly sorry I wasted this forums time.  This is a great forum and it is a wealth of information but my fault for not finding it before I bought.  It wasn't my first plane but it was my first low wing complex.  I let my wants exceed my needs and allowed "pretty" to over rule my one cardinal rule "mechanical first".    I am not leaving MS I'm just posting that it is up for sale and when it goes I'll decide.  I am stupid deep in this plane and after this last 2hr flight I am pissed.  I hate oil and I hate making a mess and I hate when I am flying and I lose power or instruments.  Especially when I am spending and spending and replacing parts and those parts are failing.  If I treated my customers as I have been treated I wouldn't be able to afford this endeavor.  I have just had bad luck with this one.  Maybe the next one will be better.  Hell maybe I'll buy a 2 door Mooney just cause.

I can guarantee you are not the first one to regret buying a plane, and you won't be the last. But it is good to hear it is not souring you on flying.

I bought my second plane after parking my first in the trees, and wanted to get back in the air before it became impossible for me to consider flying because of doubt and fear. Unfortunately, like you, I ended up selling it for a bit less than half of what I paid for it. My jackpot, though, came when I bought my current J. It has been everything I hoped it was from the results of the PPI and test flight. Still some things I know I did wrong, but enough was done right I have come out smelling like a rose.

Sometimes I think pilots are like shelter animals: our "forever plane" is out there waiting for us to find it. Now you can go find yours.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 5:29 PM, Dream to fly said:

If the right deal comes along. Otherwise I'm moving forward and doing a bunch of mods.

I was hoping it was just heat of the moment, but it does get frustrating.  I've had a vacuum pump die, tire go flat, plug go bad, etc. but (knock on wood), they've all been local.  Stuff is still going to happen, but I hope it gets fewer and farther between for you.  

1 minute ago, rbridges said:

I was hoping it was just heat of the moment, but it does get frustrating.  I've had a vacuum pump die, tire go flat, plug go bad, etc. but (knock on wood), they've all been local.  Stuff is still going to happen, but I hope it gets fewer and farther between for you.  

It was more than a moment but I have since had a few people talk to me about the pitfalls and I am keeping it.  I have tracked down parts and pieces and hopefully I can show something for it this winter.  I am not going for an all out restoration but I am going deeper into the plane then most.  I have had offers from several forum members that are willing to guide me as I go which to me is priceless to a project like this.   The plane is flying and has since been to New York, Montana, and Sunday weather permitting It's going to Colorado.  I will try to post pictures as I progress but I am terrible for taking pictures or remembering a camera.   The game plan is to install a Ray-Jay turbo, repair the cowling and skins, clean and prime/paint the interior and control rods, install a 201 windshield, remove all non working spliced and damaged wires/equipment.  Install ADSB, JPI 830, and a Nav/comm radio along with redoing the instrument panel.  My AP has quoted me a price and is willing to do it in steps.  Then the last step is to have it painted.  Not everything will be new but everything will be touched and IRAN'd.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, peevee said:

or just buy a rocket already done? :)

Your plane is way to nice for me.  If I could sell mine for what I have in it I'd add the difference in a heart beat.  But I can't sell the plane I own for that kind of money and live with myself.  I may haven been screwed by others but I don't and won't do business that way never have never will.  I still work on the basis of a hand shake from a man is his word.  It bites me sometimes but in the long run it has never done me wrong. 

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better... when I purchased,  I hired a local A&P in Kentucky (which I refused to pay) for a thorough PPI.  I ended up paying 1/2 the purchase price on my first annual (at Willmar).  I can rattle off a list of the squawks, but it is irrelevant at this point.  Since then, I have had very minor issues.  The engine is a marvel.  Overhauled by Mattituck 1,500 hours ago, and it still uses less than 1 quart between oil changes.  I truly am amazed with this engine.  I wish Mattituck was still in operation on the east coast, their quality control must have been the finest in the industry.  I was also ready to throw in the towel when I received the estimate of repairs.  There have been plenty of plane buyers who have sucked it up and found the cash for their first post-purchase annual.  I am very happy it worked out for me... and can feel your pain.

• Like 2

It was more than a moment but I have since had a few people talk to me about the pitfalls and I am keeping it.  I have tracked down parts and pieces and hopefully I can show something for it this winter.  I am not going for an all out restoration but I am going deeper into the plane then most.  I have had offers from several forum members that are willing to guide me as I go which to me is priceless to a project like this.   The plane is flying and has since been to New York, Montana, and Sunday weather permitting It's going to Colorado.  I will try to post pictures as I progress but I am terrible for taking pictures or remembering a camera.   The game plan is to install a Ray-Jay turbo, repair the cowling and skins, clean and prime/paint the interior and control rods, install a 201 windshield, remove all non working spliced and damaged wires/equipment.  Install ADSB, JPI 830, and a Nav/comm radio along with redoing the instrument panel.  My AP has quoted me a price and is willing to do it in steps.  Then the last step is to have it painted.  Not everything will be new but everything will be touched and IRAN'd.

I'm glad to see that you are continuing forward on this plane. If I threw in the towel every time I got frustrated with the status of my plane, I would have sold and taken up knitting. I'm currently addressing a fuel sender issue and a problematic antenna/coax issue. Now that my entire interior is removed, I am debating whether I should do the interior now. Hang in there!

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.ca4dfba4ea559e3134ac8d41a392463b.JPG

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.40377409ab3b4568c3a357c0c2f99c2d.JPG

5f54c7a46849d51f68a53f70c148b26d.jpg

d710f6af62708c7d1385a8e67b2a3009.jpg

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm glad to see that you are continuing forward on this plane. If I threw in the towel every time I got frustrated with the status of my plane, I would have sold and taken up knitting. I'm currently addressing a fuel sender issue and a problematic antenna/coax issue. Now that my entire interior is removed, I am debating whether I should do the interior now. Hang in there!

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.ca4dfba4ea559e3134ac8d41a392463b.JPG

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.40377409ab3b4568c3a357c0c2f99c2d.JPG

5f54c7a46849d51f68a53f70c148b26d.jpg

d710f6af62708c7d1385a8e67b2a3009.jpg

Dang chris, no one can accuse you of not maintaining your plane.  You might as well do the interior.  Your retirement portfolio has already been blown in the panel.  :D

• Like 1