FlyQ insight

Wow... just wow....

you all need to check this out.  It's pretty amazing- I just can't help but wonder what will be thought up next.... Seattle Avionics just keeps knocking it out of the park!

Edited by M016576
  • Like 1

I must be missing something. I have a FlyQ subscription, so I installed the app. I watched the video. I don't understand what is so great about it. With a bunch of other non-aviation POI information, I can see something like this for passengers or to record a flight for later. But i really don't see what it does for a pilot in flight.

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I must be missing something. I have a FlyQ subscription, so I installed the app. I watched the video. I don't understand what is so great about it. With a bunch of other non-aviation POI information, I can see something like this for passengers or to record a flight for later. But i really don't see what it does for a pilot in flight.

It's about what this could/will be.... imagine all the instruments physically mounted in your airplane as being just backups, and using technology like this (albeit in a more robust and pointed manner)as your primary flight instruments.

several iterations away, sure... but it's pretty sweet to see this technology in action, as an app, by a company leveraging a 500.00 iPhone's hardware.

1 hour ago, M016576 said:

It's about what this could/will be.... imagine all the instruments physically mounted in your airplane as being just backups, and using technology like this (albeit in a more robust and pointed manner)as your primary flight instruments.

several iterations away, sure... but it's pretty sweet to see this technology in action, as an app, by a company leveraging a 500.00 iPhone's hardware.

Maybe. Even for that, thought I see the presently existing and future potential for synthetic vision technology, and even basic HUD, as far superior from both a tech and benefit standpoint. 

Unless I'm missing something, if you are in solid clouds, InSight, being video-based, will show you a white screen with some location markers. Even current synthetic vision shows you a lot more than that.

9 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Maybe. Even for that, thought I see the presently existing and future potential for synthetic vision technology, and even basic HUD, as far superior from both a tech and benefit standpoint. 

Unless I'm missing something, if you are in solid clouds, InSight, being video-based, will show you a white screen with some location markers. Even current synthetic vision shows you a lot more than that.

So, you don't see the low cost, software based ability to display space stabilized overlayed waypoints, navpoints and gps points onto a digital or rendered image in realtime as a useful technology.  Fair enough.

i find this to be pretty revolutionary- and primarily due to the cost.  Here's why: port this concept and technology to a google glass or similar type product, certify or use wifi, BT or some other form of wireless protocol to transmit solid state nav and performance data to your head mounted display, and now you're essentially flying an F-35 from an instrument perspective.  I've used several HUDs, as well as a head mounted displays in aviation both as primary flight instruments, and as SA enhancers: none show graphical overlays of every airport in the us nav database.  Now imagine a new form of instrument approach- or perhaps the exact same WAAS approach, but with a head mounted overlay... where you just have to "fly through the container" that is digitally displayed in front of you down to the runway.

As the young Taylor Swift says:  haters gotta hate...

what I see, though, is potential in this app and something that none of the other EFB companys have attempted.  Perfectly useful in its current iteration? Maybe, maybe not- but for the price I find their concept fascinating and a potential game changer.  I can't wait to try it while airborne tomorrow.

Add in glide rings...

'Siri, display glide rings'

calculate the probability of reaching the nearest airport while gliding....directly, over there...

That is tremendous data handling capability!  

Google Glass is starting to show some value as well.

Go Ipad!

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, M016576 said:

So, you don't see the low cost, software based ability to display space stabilized overlayed waypoints, navpoints and gps points onto a digital or rendered image in realtime as a useful technology.  Fair enough.

i find this to be pretty revolutionary- and primarily due to the cost.  Here's why: port this concept and technology to a google glass or similar type product, certify or use wifi, BT or some other form of wireless protocol to transmit solid state nav and performance data to your head mounted display, and now you're essentially flying an F-35 from an instrument perspective.  I've used several HUDs, as well as a head mounted displays in aviation both as primary flight instruments, and as SA enhancers: none show graphical overlays of every airport in the us nav database.  Now imagine a new form of instrument approach- or perhaps the exact same WAAS approach, but with a head mounted overlay... where you just have to "fly through the container" that is digitally displayed in front of you down to the runway.

As the young Taylor Swift says:  haters gotta hate...

what I see, though, is potential in this app and something that none of the other EFB companys have attempted.  Perfectly useful in its current iteration? Maybe, maybe not- but for the price I find their concept fascinating and a potential game changer.  I can't wait to try it while airborne tomorrow.

That is a pretty cool piece of software.

Do they have a platform idea yet to project it more usefully or is it for viewing through your phone that you hold in your hand for now?

On 7/28/2017 at 5:02 AM, carusoam said:

Add in glide rings...

'Siri, display glide rings'

calculate the probability of reaching the nearest airport while gliding....directly, over there...

That is tremendous data handling capability!  

Google Glass is starting to show some value as well.

Go Ipad!

Best regards,

-a-

This sounds like a great idea. Too bad we live in an ultra litigious world. I don't know if a company would want to take on that liability the day a guy's engine quits and he can't make the airport the iPad told him he could make.