What Would you Do to This Panel?

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

The certified, consolidated EDM seems to me to have several advantages. In addition to getting rid of several, probably aged, "steam" gauges, it simplifies the instrument scan and cleans up the panel. It is much harder to miss something when everything is together. Your panel has engine and fuel in in at least 3 widely separated locations and the engine analyzer has to be scrolled for multiple functions. With the 930 it is clear and intuitive what each element does or displays. Temps, pressures, quantities are all easily read in digital form as well as on an analog scales with green and red coding w/o scrolling through screens. Alarms, RPM, and MAP are also displayed on a RAD front and center to the pilot. The stored data can be downloaded to a USB zip drive and uploaded to study or pass on to Savvy or JPI for analysis and advice.

The 900 is the same, just smaller screen. That's why its on the left side in my new panel. It has to be closer as it's smaller, but because it's smaller it fits easily on the left side.

But I certainly agree with @Bob_Belville that having a certified Primary engine monitor with all the elements in one easy to read location is really nice. Several friends who have flown my plane say the EDM-900 is their favorite upgrade in my panel.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:20 AM, PTK said:

The things I'd do are:

• WAAS if not already a 530W
  • comply with ADS-B out,
  • Install a KI300 removing the KI256 and vacuum system and be all electric,
  • move the engine monitor to one of the slots to the right of the altimeter so it's in your scan,
  • install an ipad mini in the right stack for Garmin Pilot, target trend and ads-b in,
  • fly it!

Minimally invasive tweaks with powerful results.

If I install a KI300 it is a primary unit and I can remove the vacuum system? If my better half finds out I'm just asking for a friend.....

the 4th version of the KI300 and, well, they haven't shipped any and it is undergoing "flight tests" AKA not certified yet. This is still just a promise, not reality, as it has been for the last 4 years. It looks like they switched manufactures products to rebrand to Sandia, however.

Guest paulie

I would do nothing until the vacuum pump invariably fails, then stick a G5 in it. Spend more time looking out the windows, you can play with instruments on your computer at home.

I basically agree with teejay but agree with Paul on the engine monitor model.  I think the first thing I would do is get an engine monitor that is certified primary, like the 930 and move it over in the pilot side scan so you see what is going on as soon as it happens.  That's what I have and it has saved my bacon or the engine's more than once.  The 530 should be WAAS if not already.  Doesn't the 150 need a GPSS to fly seamless approaches?  I have the KFC 200 and put an Icarus SAM in mine, it does a great job.  ADSB, a Stratus2 and an iPad will give you traffic and ok weather, although I would want XM weather on the 530, which would take a GCL 69.  I would get the 69a with a satellite radio subscription, its great to have on longer trips.  Glass instead of the six pack, or going all electric would be last on the list.  I am not a big fan of all electric, because I have had the alternator go and you wind up having to switch the Master off and fly to an airport in order to save battery power for radios etc. to make the landing.  No matter what you have for instrumentation and radios, it all goes dark and that includes the enigine readouts.   I don't trust any of the advertised back-up times for the glass panels, because 5 years later when you actually need the backup you find the battery that provides it is no good and there you are.  Figure on at most 30 minutes from your main battery in a 14V aircraft, so I would rather have vacuum, or a mix of vacuum and electric.  Sure, if you have two main batteries go for it, but it would not be first on my list in one of the older 14V's, which is what I have.

I wouldn't be quick to jump to all digital navcomms either.  My experience with mine (430AW) is that it is a lesser radio than my ancient King, it tends to lose reception when ATC is distant and I revert to the good old now 35 year old King. 

• Like 1