What Would you Do to This Panel?

The things I'd do are:

• WAAS if not already a 530W
  • comply with ADS-B out,
  • Install a KI300 and remove the KI256. This allows you to remove vacuum system and be all electric,
  • move the engine monitor to one of the slots to the right of the altimeter so it's in your scan,
  • Not necessary but may want to install an ipad mini in the right stack for Garmin Pilot, target trend and ads-b in,
  • fly it!

Minimally invasive tweaks with powerful results.

Wait and see what happens between the G3X and Dynon skyview hdx. Seriously let dust settle.. Both could cover engine monitor and flight instruments. The autopilot is the wildcard so also look at the new king ki300 as an option versus swapping out your autopilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What year J is it, time on engine, funds available long term, next five years, goal for keeping your airplane. Once these are defined one could then come up with a plan. 

For argument sake assume your content and plan on keeping the plane then take a look at Rockets 252AD, or Marauders F, grab your credit card and do it.

I would go the Garmin G600, 750/650' 345R route, set aside $50,000 and go for it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I really don't see the value in the JPI EDM-830. For the difference of $1AMU you can have the 900 and remove or at least not rely on the old and soon to be failing stock engine instruments.

It's alot more than that, upgrade price is $1300, 900 is $3700 plus installation will be much more, I would estimate closer to $5 AMUs more.

1 minute ago, teejayevans said:

It's alot more than that, upgrade price is $1300, 900 is $3700 plus installation will be much more.

Ok, makes sense if you're upgrading. But for a new installation, I'm sure it's only a $1000 difference, and no difference in installation.

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Ok, makes sense if you're upgrading. But for a new installation, I'm sure it's only a $1000 difference, and no difference in installation.

You have more sensors with 900 to connect (ammeter, fuel guages, fuel pressure, etc), plus you bypass the avionics bus which I expect is more complicated then just just running a wire over to a circuit breaker, installation  will be more.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

I'd upgrade the JPI to 830 and move it to the left so it's in you field of view, so you can see when threshold is triggered.

ADSB in/out, and Flightstream 210 to get it on your iPad.

You can do above probably around $8K

$8k for that combination would be pretty good. I dropped an 830 next to my altimeter and I love having it right in front of me.

Going for a 900 vs an 830 would be a challenge- not sure it would fit without redoing the panel.  I wouldn't spend the $ to redo the panel for a 900 without going to either Dynon HDX, or waiting to see what happenes with the Dynon/Garmin competition.

Check on the Dynon engine monitor pricing compared to the JPI.  If you're looking at a pair of G5s, GFC 500 plus a JPI900... go Dynon.

What made 'add a TC' an option?

There was one there originally and it got replaced by the second AI w/ball...

why would you want a TC?

Check to see what was involved in getting the second AI.  The first is probably running on vac, the second is probably electric.

I vote for getting to know what you have first, then adjust to meet your requirements...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

You do not have to do anything if everything there is working. But if you want to spend some money on your new mistress there are some priorities you should consider.

• A certified EDM like the JPI 930 or 900. (Several folks here feel it should be in the left panel but I am a voice for putting all that great engine info on the right side and reserving the left panel for "aviate". My panel is almost 5 years old and I would lay it out the same if I did it again.)
  • WAAS GPS. GPS approaches are easier and will soon be the standard. (I love the Garmin GTN 750.)
  • ADS-B in. Access to weather and traffic is fast becoming a necessity. Funny how that work's. (I installed a Garmin GDL 88 in 2012 and there are cheaper ways to get ADS-B I/O today.) 
  • PFD. If your HSI is working well you might wait until it gives you trouble and the consider an Aspen.

The resale market for used Mooneys is firming. IMO well thought out, integrated panels will get a premium from knowledgeable buyers.

IMG_20160425_114554227.jpg

IMG_20160425_114614859.jpg

• Like 3

ESI500, G500, dual GTN750, GFC600, GDL88, GTX33ES, GMA35 & a certified engine monitor.  

But that's just my inclination.  

Like many here in Mooneyspace I have a sordid history of exporting cash to my hangar, whence it never returns except as satisfaction during flight.  

Edited by Jerry 5TJ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, base698 said:

Panel is amazing.  Thanks for the info, I'm getting a lot of burning cash ideas.  

Plane has a gdl88 and the 530 is already WAAS so I'm part of the way there already.  Was curious about the value if the engine monitor over what's there.  I'm attracted to shiny things so those eng monitors look great :)

The certified, consolidated EDM seems to me to have several advantages. In addition to getting rid of several, probably aged, "steam" gauges, it simplifies the instrument scan and cleans up the panel. It is much harder to miss something when everything is together. Your panel has engine and fuel in in at least 3 widely separated locations and the engine analyzer has to be scrolled for multiple functions. With the 930 it is clear and intuitive what each element does or displays. Temps, pressures, quantities are all easily read in digital form as well as on an analog scales with green and red coding w/o scrolling through screens. Alarms, RPM, and MAP are also displayed on a RAD front and center to the pilot. The stored data can be downloaded to a USB zip drive and uploaded to study or pass on to Savvy or JPI for analysis and advice.

• Like 1