Should I grab this abandoned Mooney?

5 hours ago, peevee said:

I don't know how you feed the thing, when I was planning a trip to calgary gas was like $1.80 a liter. :o

It's not really that bad. $1.80/ litre equals around $5.40 US / gallon and I buy my fuel even lower at wholesale.

Clarence

On 8/31/2017 at 11:47 AM, HRM said:

I personally like the whole thing, the GA universe, but only as it is centered on my Mooney. I like to fly it, I like to clean it, I like to work on it, I like to talk about...well, you get the idea. I frankly do not think I would be like this with any other AC.

I used to feel the same way.  Found those feelings even get more intense with something you built.  Here's a non-stop flight coming home from the LOBO (Lancair Owners and Builders Org.) Annual Convention, in a plane I built in my garage!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

Tom

• Like 5

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, Yooper Rocketman said:

I used to feel the same way.  Found those feelings even get more intense with something you built.  Here's a non-stop flight coming home from the LOBO (Lancair Owners and Builders Org.) Annual Convention, in a plane I built in my garage!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

Tom

Proof that Tom clips the ground faster in climb than I do in cruise.  I saw a primer gray Lancair leaving Oshkosh and assumed it was you.  They are fabulous looking planes.

10 hours ago, steingar said:

The only aircraft I could envision replacing the Mooney is a Lanceair.  Those things are amazing.

Of all the airplanes I've owned, the Lancair was my second least favorite. I expected to love it. On paper it was phenomenal. In real life, just not for me.

I'm not switching horses until I need to go turbine...

How long before Mooney pulls the turbine project out to dust it off?

hmmmm Lancair Turbine until Mooney turbine becomes available....

The only thing I didn't like about the Lancair numbers was the elevated stall speed compared to the Mooney...

Single reciprocal engine with a high landing speed is a tad too risky for my flying needs.

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

ISingle reciprocal engine with a high landing speed is a tad too risky for my flying needs.

Best regards,

-a-

Mill quits and you're not near and airport you're likely to have a really bad day.  Remember, crash energy rises as the square of velocity.  A Lanceair has four times the energy in a landing as my Mooney.  I still lust after them though.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion, If the engine still has low time, I would take It apart, clean it up, hone the cylinders and put new rings. I would also comply with any service bulletins and AD's. as long as you don't have any rust or corrosion, I would not be afraid to fly it. I would also go through the mags and carb. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Just so you guys aren't left hanging, the owner still refuses to sell the plane, despite the families attempts to "get rid of it" to Rick and I. So it went back in its hangar, where he continues to pay rent I and thats where it will stay until he passes I suppose. The owner is getting quite old at this point, so the family might take control of the plane sometime soon. At that point, I'll let you all know what happens.

Edited by M20FanJesse
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2017 at 12:23 PM, M20FanJesse said:

Just so you guys aren't left hanging, the owner still refuses to sell the plane, despite the families attempts to "get rid of it" to Rick and I. So it went back in its hangar, where he continues to pay rent I and thats where it will stay until he passes I suppose. The owner is getting quite old at this point, so the family might take control of the plane sometime soon. At that point, I'll let you all know what happens.

It's easy to look at this objectively and realize his thinking is crazy.  Unfortunately the owner has some kind of emotional attachment and just isn't ready to let go.  

18 hours ago, rbridges said:

Unfortunately the owner has some kind of emotional attachment and just isn't ready to let go. 

I think you are right and I think he is crazy. This is sort of like the Pharaohs having their entourage killed and put into the tomb with them.

Frankly, turning the plane over to a youngster who will restore and fly it makes far more sense to me. Not to mention the opportunity to fly in her a few more times as Kris pointed out.

Sad :(

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2017 at 11:23 AM, M20FanJesse said:

It looks like they sold the airplane.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?omni=Home-N-Number&nNumberTxt=N1018C

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N1018C