Seriously non certified repair

18 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Man those American cars are a lot of trouble, my Honda has onyl required brakes and tires in its 110K miles, the BMW just a bit more.

I have multiple Honda's .  I love them, but I've had a few small issues.  The most irritating was the power steering pump was sucking air past an "O" ring.  After a bit of searching I found  a service bulletin for it and it listed the labor at 0.25 hours and the part required.   I forget why I was at the dealer, but I inquired about the cost to fix it, as my car was out of warranty.  They wanted over $200,  I pointed out the service bulletin labor estimate, and they didn't care.  I bought the $1.50 part and installed it in about 5 minutes.  I have not been back to that dealer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisk said:

I have multiple Honda's .  I love them, but I've had a few small issues.  The most irritating was the power steering pump was sucking air past an "O" ring.  After a bit of searching I found  a service bulletin for it and it listed the labor at 0.25 hours and the part required.   I forget why I was at the dealer, but I inquired about the cost to fix it, as my car was out of warranty.  They wanted over $200,  I pointed out the service bulletin labor estimate, and they didn't care.  I bought the $1.50 part and installed it in about 5 minutes.  I have not been back to that dealer...

Bastards! That's why they're commonly referred to as "stealerships".  

1 hour ago, Chupacabra said:

Bastards! That's why they're commonly referred to as "stealerships".  

Their salesmen are worse, that's why I avoid buying cars as long as possible. Replaced our 95 Accord with a 2011 Altima. Thank God for kbb.com while the idiot was "seeing what his manager can do" about his lowest price ["only" $3500 higher than Kelly . . . ]

For repairs, I shop around. The Nissan is getting new AC compressor right now, for $200 less than the Nissan dealer and $400 less than the first independent shop I called. Because it's hotter'n blue blazes and I don't have time to mess with it right now!

On 7/25/2017 at 8:11 PM, Yetti said:

So maybe parts that go into the heater circuit should not be plastic.  Have to run to the big town tomorrow....  Kept smelling heater fluid.  Looked over and started poking around....  the plastic parts just fell apart in my hand. The middle picture is supposed to be a T.  I was able to squash the tubing to break the rest of the plastic by gentle squeezing and it just broke up.   Pretty sure the fix will last a long time.   And for all you FAA IA/A&P Inspectors.... it is a Ford. 

20170725_205906.jpg

20170725_215611.jpg

20170725_214247.jpg

What you do...rip off the neighbors lawn sprinkler s?

On 7/27/2017 at 2:11 PM, Alan Fox said:

The problem is not the hose , or the plastic.... This is what happens when you don't change your antifreeze every 2 years.......

I used to change anti-freeze religiously every 2 years.  I continually had issues with water pumps, clogged radiators, and other odd-ball stuff.  My present car...a 2001 has 18 year old anti-freeze in it and I haven't had any related problems (yet).

If it ain't broke.....