Fuel Tank Total Rehaul

Hedge

OK.  I am going to bite the bullet.  I have a new engine, new avionics, and my plane is really fast.  Now I have to fix the nasty leaking fuel tanks.

I am going to get the entire tanks resealed, but I would like to know who has had their tanks redone completely, when they were done, and what has been the results.  I know there is a place in Florida that does it as well as Minnesota.  

So if you had your done 7 years ago and still no leak, I would love to hear that.  Also, if you had your done and it leaked when you got home, I would love to hear that too.  I have had mine 'fixed" three times, and each time it has leaked when i got home.  so no more of that.  I am going for the total deal.

Total strip and reseal, Oct/Nov 2007 by Edison at Wet Wingologists in south Florida. He has a full page ad in the latest MAPALog. 

Count me a very happy Customer! Mooney tanks are his entire business; there were three others there when I dropped mine off. Finished on time and on budget, seven year warranty. Happy happy!  :P

• Like 1

Mine were done in troutdale OR by the previous owner in 2005.  In 2014 a L side fuel inspection panel leaked (I was charged 4 hr for the repair). This year the R one.   My IA and I did it together and he charged me 3 hrs labor for the repair.  Not so bad for 12 year in....

There are a few of us that use essentially the same automated stripping and cleaning techniques, protections, and chemicals to do the prep - the most important first step for sure. The actual sealing is really the easiest part of the process. When you pick your shop, you can't go wrong with any of the pros that have a cleaning process that is automated and does not require much by-hand work. Ask a lot of questions before you make a final decision.

I had my leak resealed 4 years ago.  it cost $3500.  It leaked when it got back to the hangar.  I took it to a service center.  They said my tank leaked.  I said I know, but I am going to have it stripped and sealed.  They said they could do it, and it wouldn't leak.  They would pressure test it and their guy was very good.  Well it cost me another $3500 and it leaked when it got to my hangar...

I am not patching again. :)

I knew I should have done it from the beginning, but they thought it would work.  My last annual, said, you have a leak...

I stopped at Willmar for overnight stop on the way to Madison for the Caravan.  I met Eric, co-owner of Oasis & Weep no More.  He told me that if you called that day  for tank reseal (7/20) you'd be scheduled for March 2018.

I "fixed" a leak on  the left in 2007, followed by the same IA who signed off on my repair redoing it a few months later. Finally I took her to Edison at Wetwinglogists at KFXE for both tanks in 2009.  It was done on time, on budget, as advertised, and no issues since then. 

• Like 1