Glide ratio M20D

Don't forget...

1) gear up, flaps up  D?

2) prop all the way pulled back to lowest rpm

3) Best glide speed 80 - 90 depending on ship, weight, mph or KIAS..... Jim is indicating 100, now I go look mine up...

Since you have the devices, test your skills with your own plane, at altitude...

The glide rings that some devices have are a great technical tool.  But don't stretch your glide into a stall...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I use 11:1 at 100 MPH for Garmin Pilot glide ring planning purposes in my J.

That's a good conservative number and the same speed I use (for being under gross). I calculated it out from the POH to be 11.5:1 (1.9 nm per 1000' AGL).

• Like 1

Actually your D model being a short body is not as good as the mid body J, I would suggest using what is published for the C model, since they are both short bodies in similar weight classes.

For the C model, Mooney published 2 glide ratios: 10.3:1 with a windmilling prop and 105 mph at gross or 2575 lbs - which should match yours assuming a constant speed prop (since some of the D's used a fixed pitch prop with a max 2500 gross weight). But I'd generally plan for a lighter weight than max gross and so would suggest using 100 mph. They also give 12.7:1 with the prop stopped at 100 mph at gross. Good luck with getting the prop stopped, so I would stick to the more realistic 10.3:1. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2

So if Ron's is 10:3:1 with the gear up, what's your guess on a fixed-gear bird? I'll probably take her up to altitude and give it a try but then I'd have to do math. :blink: Any bets on the ratio?

Nice picture, Ron. I need you to take one of me!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

If I pull the prob knob with it windmilling (those creating oil pressure?) will it have enough pressure to actually feather the blades?

Our props won't feather, but they will move to a coarser pitch when you pull the knob. The full range is in the TCDS, and may be in your Owner's Manual.

• Like 1

Glide ratio having the gear down is reduced with the gear doors out in the breeze...

The D will have a noticeably shorter glide ratio than a C with the gear stowed.

But The aero gear that the D has, won't be as bad as the C with the gear down....

I would hazard a guess, but it wouldn't help...

We have an interesting glide ratio study that somebody ran on their plane a while ago.

Won't be too hard to find it...  or run your own study on your plane.

Best regards,

-a-

This is from my 1970 C Owners Manual. I'd expect your D to do pretty similarly, unless you have one of the few (three?) D models that haven't been converted to retract. When I practice, I aim for 105 mph, which is right at my 90 knot instrument approach speed.

Screenshot_20170727-050554.thumb.png.8ee6cf3ee8882648816682f0ea249d13.png

P.S.--please don't try to land using the attitude shown at the top of the page!

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

kind of confused,,

the OP is asking about his D,  but it is probably really modified to be a C... right?

Well a C wheels up and windmilling shows 19.3 mi glide and a ratio of 10.3 to 1 from 10,000 ft...

Well I have a Cherokee, and my POH says that,,,

My plane wheels down and welded and windmilling will glide 19.3 mi and a ratio of 10.3 to 1 from 10,000 ft..!!

me, myself has decided that if im really going to glide down, I will nose it up, loose some speed, and get that prop stopped!!!

for a better ratio...

this just dont make no sense!

4 hours ago, mpg said:

Well a C wheels up and windmilling shows 19.3 mi glide and a ratio of 10.3 to 1 from 10,000 ft...

Well I have a Cherokee, and my POH says that,,,

My plane wheels down and welded and windmilling will glide 19.3 mi and a ratio of 10.3 to 1 from 10,000 ft..!!

When you are on short final, call it 100 agl, what happens to your plane when you pull the throttle to idle? That's pretty much my SOP if I'm on speed [70-75 mph depending on weight], and I generally touch down on the 2nd or 3rd stripe past the numbers. The last Cherokee pilot I gave a ride to freaked out when I did this over the trees, but saved his words until after we landed. "If I'd done that, my plane would have gone down in the trees. But in your plane, nothing happened!"

Basicly, whenever I know I have the runway made, throttle goes to idle. If I'm high and fast, it will be sooner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1