I'll switch to Aeroshell 100W now

RobertGary1

56 minutes ago, peevee said:

If I gave two shits I might.

I'm flying a single engine airplane that was built 53 years ago.  This issue is so far down the list of my concerns it doesn't even make a distant blip on my radar.

13 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Saw on interesting presentation by Mike Busch this morning about runnng past TBO.  Seems the hard data shows serious engine failure rates are significantly higher in the first 500 hours after overhaul than any other time frame of the engine's life.  The engine time reviewed went well past TBO on the charts without ever getting back up to the rate of newly rebuilt engines.  Amazingly when I toured the Continental Engine Factory last fall and discussed my 400 past TBO engine in the Rocket, EVERY tech or manager I spoke with said " keep running it!"

Anyway, oils came up during the presentation and he recommends Aeroshell W100 and Camguard as the best oil for present engines and avgas ( with lead), providing you can work within the ambient temps conducive for straight weight oil.  Phillips 20/50 XC was his recommendation for multi viscosity for good reason.  The Aeroshell multi viscosity is 50% synthetic, which would be his first choice if not for leaded fuel.   Only petroleum based oils will suspend lead so the lead scavenging ability of Aeroshell multi weight is half that of Phillips 20/50XC.   As far as W100x, he felt the additive package in Camguard was better than that and using two additives (W100X AND Camguard) was of no benefit   

As usual, Mike presented hard facts to back his presentation. I highly recommend finding this one on the EAA website where he has something like 70 forums on record.  

Tom

Are you sure he said Phillips is best multigrade? I watched his oil webinar and distinctly remember him saying Phillips is the worst because there is too much synthetic in it????

ive been using elite because it basically already contains can guard, so the realized cost seems to be about the same, but I do add some avblend to help suspend dirt.  I enjoy not having to worry about oil type in all seasons. :)

Philips contains no synthetic.  That's aero shell 15w50. You should alert ed kollin  about Exxon containing camguard.  They are stealing his patented formula. He is a chemist and a pilot as well. 

Edited by jetdriven

17 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Philips contains no synthetic.  That's aero shell 15w50. You should alert ed kollin  about Exxon containing camguard.  They are stealing his patented formula. He is a chemist and a pilot as well. 

Oh, I must have gotten them mixed up in my memory.  It's been a while since I watch the videos.  From my understanding, the elite additives are similar to camguard, but not the same.  Elite alone seems to provide 3-4 weeks of protection..  but, I usually fly every week, 2 weeks max.  I've been happy with it and can usually find it for about $90 per case.  Not too bad if you don't have to buy camguard also. ;)  I was able to get 3 cases on eBay once for $70 per case delivered.  That was nice!  

All in all, oil cost is a fart in the wind in aviation.  

IIRC it supposed to be 5%, which works to something near 2 bottles per case. which is in the neighborhood of 90$ a case, laid in. 

with Spruce, shipping is free if over 500$.  so when you get to 300$ its not much more effort to get 4 cases of oil to send it over the 500$ threshold and get free shipping on that heavy oil.

Edited by jetdriven

Those that come to the Mooney Summit will have the opportunity to win

4 bottles of cam guard (thanks Ed)

Exxon Elite Oil change kit (thanks Lisa)

Aeroshell Oil Change kit (thanks M20Doc, Clarence, Tri city Aero)

I have tried for 3 years to get Phillips on board, but do not get any further than "that sounds great, call this guy...." this guy doesn't return calls.

Who knows, maybe the same person will win it all, and mix it up!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

IIRC it supposed to be 5%, which works to something near 2 bottles per case. which is in the neighborhood of 90$ a case, laid in. 

with Spruce, shipping is free if over 500$.  so when you get to 300$ its not much more effort to get 4 cases of oil to send it over the 500$ threshold and get free shipping on that heavy oil.

It's 1.6oz per qt of oil.

I run 10qts on a change so a whole bottle. I or dose my oil with a big syringe, 1.6 ea so the makeup oil is dosed and no one has to think too hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peevee said:

It's 1.6oz per qt of oil.

I run 10qts on a change so a whole bottle. I or dose my oil with a big syringe, 1.6 ea so the makeup oil is dosed and no one has to think too hard.

1.6 oz per qt for me in my J as well.

I believe it was from @Bob_Belville at one of the Mooney Summits where I first heard of "pre-loading" quarts of oil with Camguard to minimize mistakes. Using a turkey basting syringe makes it easy to load up each quart in a case for an oil change or to add as required. With the label printer I have, I tag each one to make sure no one grabs it without knowing it has Camguard pre-loaded in it.

I also switched to Phillips multi-grade a couple years back from AeroShell. I noticed two things. I ended up using less oil between changes and my oil temps seemed to be about 10 F cooler. No hard data capture, plotting, trending and analyzing, but simply noticing I no longer touch 200 even when climbing out in the summer here in Alabama. What works for me, works for me. YMMV

As a newbie aircraft owner that lives in Arkansas, I have been using (and changing) my oil with the same stuff that has been used before.  I get an oil analysis each change with good results.  From research and experience of others, I am finding that my engine would be happier with straight 100W especially for the summer with Camguard.

My engine flies two-five times per week and has for the last 1000 hours or so. From what I am reading, I might need to switch to 100W Aero + Camgard for maximum protection?

What is the consensus for multigrade in the winter?  Phillips XC? (weight?)  And the Phillips has the Camguard or is it better separate?

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Those that come to the Mooney Summit will have the opportunity to win

4 bottles of cam guard (thanks Ed)

Exxon Elite Oil change kit (thanks Lisa)

Aeroshell Oil Change kit (thanks M20Doc, Clarence, Tri city Aero)

I have tried for 3 years to get Phillips on board, but do not get any further than "that sounds great, call this guy...." this guy doesn't return calls.

Who knows, maybe the same person will win it all, and mix it up!

Thanks Ed, Lisa and Clarence. Boo Phillips! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

but then you go down to 80W plus and you are ok.  we change form 80 to 100 plus around March time and back again around November time on AL.  ALways used Shell strsaight oils rather than the ones with a W in the middle of two numbers.

Not used Camguard yet, but im interested in it.  The guy at the summit last year sold me on it with one slide, then he sent me to sleep as he was too technical and lost me and put me off it again!.

Andrew

Ed is a damn smart guy. I barely made it past high school. I too was sold in the first 2 minutes. The rest fried my brain. Glad there are guys like Ed out there looking out for our engines. :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bryan said:

As a newbie aircraft owner that lives in Arkansas, I have been using (and changing) my oil with the same stuff that has been used before.  I get an oil analysis each change with good results.  From research and experience of others, I am finding that my engine would be happier with straight 100W especially for the summer with Camguard.

My engine flies two-five times per week and has for the last 1000 hours or so. From what I am reading, I might need to switch to 100W Aero + Camgard for maximum protection?

What is the consensus for multigrade in the winter?  Phillips XC? (weight?)  And the Phillips has the Camguard or is it better separate?

From your post, it appears your engine has liked what it has in it for the last 1000 hours. If your analysis on each change has stayed fairly consistent, and your engine never sits long enough to let the oil completely drain off of everything, I would be tempted to leave well enough alone. Just my $0.02 worth from someone without a turbo like yours.