brake issue jams

Folks,  got an m20a with cleveland calipers,  noticed hard to pull so checked wheels and found wheel hard to turn, rebuilt caliper, new pads, replaces the sliders on caliper, checked

that caliper slides  smouth on support and little play now,  pins were worn 4 thou,  installed and still jams,  noticed inboard pad is only touching  on top 1/4,  I have given up,

has anyone had this problem,  do I just buy a complete unit (ouch),  the outer pad seems to fit flush,  even changed the complete pad plate,  made sure no sharp edges on the plate

that would make it jam,   no leaks on caliper so I assume the piston is ok,    darn  this is really got me stumped.   also  my  AME looked it over and found nothing looks wrong.  

thanks for ANY input.  Mike. 

If the pads are jammed on, then you still have pressure on the line coming into the caliper, or the caliper puck is hanging up in the caliper. Check the master cylinder. The pad hitting only on the top 1/4 is an alignment problem that could be wear, caliper mounting taps not correct, caliper ears misaligned etc.

Have the 2 bolts that hold the caliper together been over torqued?  These bolts are very close to the piston cylinder wall and if over tightened will lock up the piston.  The torque spec can be found in the Cleveland manual. 

If you remove the caliper and push the piston back to the rest position and reinstall the caliper does it slide on the pins?  After that test pump up the brakes and when the system is at rest see if the wheel spins or has drag.  If it has drag open the bleeder and see if it releases.  If it does then replace the rubber hose.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with my E. We found the problem was a small amount of corrosion where the puck (slave cylinder) moves. Removed the slave cylinder, took it all apart, cleaned, sanded down the rust, rebuilt with anti-seize, bled the brakes, and they work like a charm,

Only cost was two new O-rings for the pucks and my time....

Well, not a bent axle, not a pad puck , will loosen bolts a little as per suggestion,  BUT>> noticed disk is about  3/8 from down tube,  on other (good) side is about 1/8,  will take apart both sides and compare ,  went to another mooney and disks were very close to down tube,  so this could be problem that caliper is reaching to far out to work.