M20E 66 Wing Leveler

Hedge

I have a 66 E, so the wing leveler is different for the models done after 66, but I don't know what the problem is.

My plane drifts to the right always.  I have to turn my adjuster knob all the way left and it sometimes doesn't go right, but usually still drifts.  If I turn it right, it makes a standard rate turn right.

I have replaced the servos in all four locations.  I have vacuum tested the sevos and the tubing with no leaks.  I have vacuum tested the lines coming from the adjustment knob and they pass with flying colors. 

I then sent my controller back to britton and got a new one,  because that had to be the reason.  Well it didn't change anything.  Still does the same thing.  I then had the rigging checked on the plane and it was perfectly rigged.

I changed the tubing to see if the system would switch and pull left, well that didn't work either,  when I adjusted to the left (remember it is now opposite) it made a standard rate turn right and when I did the opposite, it just went straight.  

I did a vacuum test of the knob controller and it acts exactly the same depending of the way i adjust, so it seems to be working fine.  So every component has been checked and is operating correctly.  so it seems.  The only thing i didn't do was switch the servos on both wings, because that is a bigger job than I wanted to do.

I am of the opinion it is not a wing leveler problem, but somehow mechanical on my plane, but I don't know.  I don't know how many hours I have spent on this, and all I get is more questions.

Thanks for your guys help.

Mark

If you let your hands off the controls does it fly straight and level? If not, you'll need to get it rigged before you start working on the autopilot.

If it does fly straight/level, your gyro or gyro mounting might be the issue. The controller is separate from the gyro, which is either an independent unit or part of your TC.

• Like 1

There is also an adjustment on the controller done with a little screw driver.  I run my Turn Coordinator adjustment pretty far to one side to keep it flying level with just me in the plane.

How are you loading the plane? or does it matter how the plane is loaded?

Mark

Sounds like you have done some extensive work..Have  you tried disabling the wingleveler and seeing how the plane flies on its own?  Things like gear hanging, minor flap rigging, step down, can affect trim and thus the PC.  Also a bent trailing edge (it does not take much and is the way you trim a Mooney)might preload the PC.

The '65C had the gyro in the tail cone... if you have one of these, check to see if it got any maintence history?

It only had one job to do. I don't think you can tell if it is working properly, as it has no display to tell anything...

Newer planes went to using the gyro in the instrument panel...

PP thoughts, that are pretty old...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I just had it rigged.  I turn off the wing leveler and it now flies totally straight.  It was rigged correctly, but the tabs needed adjusted slightly. 

With the 66E it only has one controller and it was replaced with a rebuilt one from Brittain.

I flipped the hoses and it flies the exact same way, so it can't be the controller.  It has to be something mechanical.  Is there a way to mount the servo to weaken one side or the other.  Also, no matter how the plane is loaded, or which tank I burn first, or who is with me, it pulls to the right.

13 minutes ago, Hedge said:

I flipped the hoses and it flies the exact same way, so it can't be the controller.  It has to be something mechanical.  Is there a way to mount the servo to weaken one side or the other.  Also, no matter how the plane is loaded, or which tank I burn first, or who is with me, it pulls to the right.

Check the chains in the wing.  They are not perfectly aligned and the chain is not symmetrical.  It must be rotated and installed in a unique fashion to get it to be perfect.  I had posted pictures some time ago in another thread regarding the PC.  As I recall, that was a slight binding and I think that corrected it for the poster as well.  I will try to dig it up.

3 minutes ago, Hedge said:

that is what I am talking about!  We did take the panel off, and checked the chains.  They were in identical positions on the plane and were not binding.  

Check out this thread and the photos.  The problem is very subtle and results in a slight side load on the servo that is only obvious with vacuum and load.  (Not sure if this link will work...can't figure out a better way)

I'd check the rigging of the controls, or the flaps. My uncles D/C has a droopy right flap that causes the airplane to drift in flight..

Check with your A&P to check over all of your flight controls and flap system it could be as easy as renting the jigs from Mooney and re rigging the controls.