Looking for tools and specs

I am going to install the engine monitor and start removing and modifying the Co-pilot side.  What size aluminum sheets are generally used? 12Ga or 14Ga.  What is the tools used to crimp the wires.  Is there a specific brand or multi tool that is used?

Most panels are .090 thick, or point .1 occasionally. Be aware this can be considered a major modification depending on your FSDO, and that while you may be more than capable of doing the work, it should still be supervised by a professional. Get yourself a good set of crimpers like this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/terminalcrimptool.php

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

Most panels are .090 thick, or point .1 occasionally. Be aware this can be considered a major modification depending on your FSDO, and that while you may be more than capable of doing the work, it should still be supervised by a professional. Get yourself a good set of crimpers like this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/terminalcrimptool.php

Got a shop willing to work with me.  That was step one!  .090 thick step two.  Now to hide the fact I need more tools from the wife

Just checked I already own that pair.  sweet

10 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

Got a shop willing to work with me.  That was step one!  .090 thick step two.  Now to hide the fact I need more tools from the wife

just hide the tools in the pairs of shoes she bought without telling you.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Use caution, she checks in on all 100 of those shoes when you are not looking....

Keep them in the pair of shoes she bought for you... nobody will be going there for quite some time...:)

Best regards,

-a–

No kidding.....  We turned a spare bedroom into a shoe closet.  The "shoes"  needed their own ceiling fan and track lighting. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

No kidding.....  We turned a spare bedroom into a shoe closet.  The "shoes"  needed their own ceiling fan and track lighting. 

Fortunately, my wife doesn't really like many shoes other than boots and docksiders.

Horses, tack, trailers and trucks on the other hand.....:wacko:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N6758N said:

Depending on how you do it....  If you upgraded to a newer model F design which is much like a early J model you would still be in line with the Type Data Sheet.   There was an F in Greely Colorado that was getting scrapped.   Could make for some nice templates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yetti said:

Depending on how you do it....  If you upgraded to a newer model F design which is much like a early J model you would still be in line with the Type Data Sheet.   There was an F in Greely Colorado that was getting scrapped.   Could make for some nice templates.

True, when I did mine over I just called it a panel 'overlay' to avoid to potential paperwork nightmare...

Depending what equipment you will be putting in, I have a panels which I made but did not use in my F rebuild.  One is for steam gauges, and another is for Garmin G600, etc stuff. 

If you want to send me an e-mail I can probably dig up some pictures.  The panels may be useful.

John Breda

• Like 1

one comment when you do the panel do it in 3 parts left side right side and center stack.  I think it gives you more options and easier access in the future.  Mine is one piece all  the way across and seems it could be cumbersome at times.