Introducing Dynon Certified

toto

1 hour ago, Browncbr1 said:

it seems that doing nothing is the best investment I can make in my panel these days.  Each few months go by and the market gets better and better for avionics... 

complicated indeed, but I like it!! 

Kind of like personal computers. Never spent more than when I bought my first PC. And if we look at avionics, we can probably start saying the same at the rate new products are being released.

• Like 1

Here's my question since I'm too young and too inexperienced on these things. What is the likelihood of this getting approved for Mooneys and other aircraft? Right now it is just for the 172 right? As a person shopping for a Mooney I'm starting to wonder if I should just buy a bare bones Mooney now with the idea of upgrading to this when/if it is approved. Again, no clue how long these processes usually take just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

Here's my question since I'm too young and too inexperienced on these things. What is the likelihood of this getting approved for Mooneys and other aircraft? Right now it is just for the 172 right? As a person shopping for a Mooney I'm starting to wonder if I should just buy a bare bones Mooney now with the idea of upgrading to this when/if it is approved. Again, no clue how long these processes usually take just thinking out loud.

High likelihood. It's their plan. Be sure to register Mooney interest on their site so we sit high on the list....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Can someone go to the Dynon tent and ask them if there will be envelope protection in the HDX system - otherwise this system has everything I would want - except for that one feature that would perhaps send me to one of the other autopilots and cobble together a system.

G3X some version like it must be coming....sooner or later.  I wonder if it would be coupled to work with the GFC500?  Or would it have yet another (its own) autopilot?

37 minutes ago, revwatch said:

It is certainly looking to be a more viable option for buying planes now...  From my perspective, I'm starting to think I did well by buying a shotgun panel mooney...  I paid minimal for the plane because of it, and now I can get a way better setup for less money than if I had bought with a nice panel a few years ago.

• Like 1

Avidyne DFC90 never added Mooney, expect Pipers, Bonanzas to be next...it could be a while, I would bet G3X gets approved for Mooneys before Dynon.

Such an exicitn yet frustrating time for owners like myself with old avionics. 

Exciting as more options are now rolling onto the market.

Frustrating with all the STC uncertainties. 

and 2020 deadline is just around the corner.

Email all the companies! 

9 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

It is certainly looking to be a more viable option for buying planes now...  From my perspective, I'm starting to think I did well by buying a shotgun panel mooney...  I paid minimal for the plane because of it, and now I can get a way better setup for less money than if I had bought with a nice panel a few years ago.

The real deal will be the pilots who spend the value of their plane on the panel over the next few years. The value added will be half of what they spent which is great for future buyers. I hope most of the fleet is updated...might bring some new young blood into aviation/aircraft ownership. 

However, I have to disagree with you.  If a buyer goes shopping for a stripped out panel I think they will find a lot of deferred maintenance to go with it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Avidyne DFC90 never added Mooney, expect Pipers, Bonanzas to be next...it could be a while, I would bet G3X gets approved for Mooneys before Dynon.

Dynon is no Avidyne... and I have an Avidyne stack, these guy are really the people who got this hole thing started.

8 hours ago, Godfather said:

The real deal will be the pilots who spend the value of their plane on the panel over the next few years. The value added will be half of what they spent which is great for future buyers. I hope most of the fleet is updated...might bring some new young blood into aviation/aircraft ownership. 

However, I have to disagree with you.  If a buyer goes shopping for a stripped out panel I think they will find a lot of deferred maintenance to go with it.  

That is true in many cases.  I guess my case was the exception.  4 annuals, zero squawks..   it was bone stock with faux wood shotgun panel.  I've put a bit of sweat into it making improvements, but there really was no deferred mix when I got it at a low market price.   At that time, it didn't make sense to update the panel, but things have/are changing. :).   Indeed, second owners of avionics installs are the winners, but I'm looking to keep my F until I either die or hit the lottery. 

I browsed through this thread quickly.

Just got back from OSH and Dynon said that they hadn't gotten the STC for the C-172 yet.  They were hoping to by the time the show started but it didn't happen.  They expect it very soon.  So technically it's not available for any certified plane yet.  At least at the time I talked to him in the Dynon tent 2 days ago.

I asked about Mooney, he said it IS a priority.  He said there are lots of Mooney people asking so they actually do have it in the near future.  Of course he couldn't give me any kind of timeline but when I asked if he thought it would be within a year, or serveral years he said they hoped it would be much sooner rather than later.  He couldn't seem to answer my question about whether it would be available to a Canadian Mooney or not and what differences there were between being certified by TC vs the FAA.  Maybe someone here can answer that?  If a company gets an STC for a product through the FAA, can I go to a US retailer/installer and have it installed in my Canadian Registered Mooney?

• Like 2

Talked with Dynon today at Oshkosh. They said the system is all or nothing. In order for the stc to be valid you need to take out everything minus gps/nav/com and buy all the components. The only thing you could pass on are the AP servos. They said 30-90 days until the 172 is certified. 

Certification might be a model by model slower process because of the AP integration for planes w/ or wo/ a current AP. 

16 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Talked with Dynon today at Oshkosh. They said the system is all or nothing. In order for the stc to be valid you need to take out everything minus gps/nav/com and buy all the components. The only thing you could pass on are the AP servos. They said 30-90 days until the 172 is certified. 

Certification might be a model by model slower process because of the AP integration for planes w/ or wo/ a current AP. 

That's not that surprising with the way these things work.   But I would assume one could still keep some of the auxiliary systems even if redundantly.  For example I have an ADSB transponder already.  I bet I could keep that in place, even if the Dynon STC requires that I install theirs ALSO.  Likewise my EDM 830 - if I am required to install their engine monitor, and probes, I do not see how that STC would conflict with my keeping my current engine monitor and problem in place redundantly.

Mlm20c - since you are there - can I ask please if you (or someone else) would ask if what i am saying above is true or false?

ALso - I am very interested if the Dynon system HDX does - or eventually soon - will include envelope protection amongst its feature set?  This is a safety feature I really want.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:36 AM, aviatoreb said:

That's not that surprising with the way these things work.   But I would assume one could still keep some of the auxiliary systems even if redundantly.  For example I have an ADSB transponder already.  I bet I could keep that in place, even if the Dynon STC requires that I install theirs ALSO.  Likewise my EDM 830 - if I am required to install their engine monitor, and probes, I do not see how that STC would conflict with my keeping my current engine monitor and problem in place redundantly.

Mlm20c - since you are there - can I ask please if you (or someone else) would ask if what i am saying above is true or false?

ALso - I am very interested if the Dynon system HDX does - or eventually soon - will include envelope protection amongst its feature set?  This is a safety feature I really want.

Can you have two unique ICAO 24--bit air frame code assigned to a single plane or, vice versa, one unique code assigned to two transponders installed on the same air frame? 

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Can you have two unique ICAO 24--bit air frame code assigned to a single plane or, vice versa, one unique code assigned to two transponders installed on the same air frame? 

I dunno.

i have seen two mode c transponders in an airplane - for redundancy.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

If you have 2 mode S transponders installed each is coded with the aircraft ID code.  

• 1 year later...

New V35 approval includes approach-coupled AP..

NOW APPROVED FOR INSTALLATION

Dynon’s certified SkyView HDX system is now STC and PMA approved for installation into the Bonanza 35 series, ushering in a new era of truly affordable, safety-enhancing integrated avionics systems for thousands of aircraft. 

The Bonanza approval covers Dynon’s full suite of avionics, including its three-axis autopilot with coupled approach capability. Pilots benefit from an uncluttered, elegant panel layout that reduces workload, is fun to fly behind, and enhances safety. A Dynon Certified installation is typically 50 to 80 pounds lighter than the instruments it replaces and usually allows the removal of unreliable legacy equipment like the vacuum pump.

SkyView for the Bonanza 35 Series includes the following comprehensive set of features:

• 10” SkyView HDX display with all required primary flight instruments with integral moving map and VFR GPS Navigator
  • Three-axis autopilot with coupled approach capability and yaw damper
  • Engine monitor with CHTs, EGTs, fuel flow, fuel computer, and lean assist
  • Up to two more additional displays (7” or 10” SkyView HDX display)
  • COM Radio
  • Mode S Transponder with 2020-Compliant ADS-B Out
  • ADS-B In Traffic and Weather
  • EFIS-D10A back-up flight display
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

New V35 approval includes approach-coupled AP..

NOW APPROVED FOR INSTALLATION

Dynon’s certified SkyView HDX system is now STC and PMA approved for installation into the Bonanza 35 series, ushering in a new era of truly affordable, safety-enhancing integrated avionics systems for thousands of aircraft. 

The Bonanza approval covers Dynon’s full suite of avionics, including its three-axis autopilot with coupled approach capability. Pilots benefit from an uncluttered, elegant panel layout that reduces workload, is fun to fly behind, and enhances safety. A Dynon Certified installation is typically 50 to 80 pounds lighter than the instruments it replaces and usually allows the removal of unreliable legacy equipment like the vacuum pump.

SkyView for the Bonanza 35 Series includes the following comprehensive set of features:

• 10” SkyView HDX display with all required primary flight instruments with integral moving map and VFR GPS Navigator
  • Three-axis autopilot with coupled approach capability and yaw damper
  • Engine monitor with CHTs, EGTs, fuel flow, fuel computer, and lean assist
  • Up to two more additional displays (7” or 10” SkyView HDX display)
  • COM Radio
  • Mode S Transponder with 2020-Compliant ADS-B Out
  • ADS-B In Traffic and Weather
  • EFIS-D10A back-up flight display

Yes. I am VERY SERIOUSLY considering it. You just need a WAAS GPS source and an audio panel. I have an Avidyne 440 and PSE 450B. The estimate is $45k *installed* for the system with two 10" screens as pictured below.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 08.22.09.png

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 2