Introducing Dynon Certified

toto

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

The plan being this

aspen 1000 (one of). With all the IFR bits

avidyne 540

jpi 830.  

Garmin 225? Radio.  The ? Is because I can't ever remember the number but it's a 8.33 one

PMA intercom thing

The dynon does look nice but I have to change the ap which works so why replace it?

Kinda like this?

I would question the JPI 830, why not the JPI 900? It's just a little more expensive but is Primary for everything. Even if you don't intend to pull the stock cluster, when it fails, you can just let it go. I decided to spend the extra on the JPI 900 instead of the Garmin 225 radio. It's just the secondary comms and is rarely used, so I spent that money on the JPI and stayed with my KX165 as the second nav/com.

I'm loving this set up, and the arrangement is spot on. All the important stuff is in view.

IMG_2513.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Kinda like this?

I would question the JPI 830, why not the JPI 900? It's just a little more expensive but is Primary for everything. Even if you don't intend to pull the stock cluster, when it fails, you can just let it go. I decided to spend the extra on the JPI 900 instead of the Garmin 225 radio. It's just the secondary comms and is rarely used, so I spent that money on the JPI and stayed with my KX165 as the second nav/com.

I'm loving this set up, and the arrangement is spot on. All the important stuff is in view.

IMG_2513.jpg

Love this panel, only change I would make is stick a Garmin Aera 796 where the G5 and JPI are and move those to the airspeed and altimeter are but I'm guessing you needed to keep the altimeter for the preselect function of your KFC150. Damn that's clean.

Edited by AndyFromCB

1 minute ago, AndyFromCB said:

Love this panel, only change I would make is stick a Garmin Aera 796 where the G5 and JPI are and move those to the airspeed and altimeter are but I'm guessing you needed to keep the altimeter for the preselect function of your KFC150. Damn that's clean.

He does yes

I don't know why no one makes a converter to make the Aspen do that.

1 minute ago, AndyFromCB said:

Love this panel, only I change would make is stick a Garmin Aera 796 where the G5 and JPI are and move those to the airspeed and altimeter are but I'm guessing you needed to keep the altimeter for the preselect function of your KFC150. Damn that's clean.

Thanks! And yes, I need the altimeter for the altitude preselect fiction of the KFC150. 

1 minute ago, peevee said:

He does yes

I don't know why no one makes a converter to make the Aspen do that.

Exactly.  There is one for the KFC200 but it's really only an altitude hold. I was a bit surprised that with all of the sophistication in these platforms, there isn't any solution for altitude preselect or vertical speed select.

47 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Exactly.  There is one for the KFC200 but it's really only an altitude hold. I was a bit surprised that with all of the sophistication in these platforms, there isn't any solution for altitude preselect or vertical speed select.

the one for the kfc200 does preselect though, that's all I ask for. If i could make the kap150 preselect work with the aspen and not have to buy the expensive encoding altimeter I would do it. It can't be complicated to make a box to mimic the digital -> analog and make it all work. Climb is pretty busy work in the rocket and in complex or busy airspace it'd be nice to have one less thing to watch. They always give you a vector or a fix about 200 feet below your assigned altitude, it seems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyFromCB said:

I'm actually the opposite. I really don't like the portable units panel mounted...a single iPad on the yoke for plates/charts and the rest certified is my choice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

I'm actually the opposite. I really don't like the portable units panel mounted...a single iPad on the yoke for plates/charts and the rest certified is my choice. 

I don't really consider Aero 796 to be "portable", plus I hate crap on my yoke, power and data cables and looking down. For all intents and purposes, it is a MFD and would greatly compliment the Aspen HSI display for a third the cost of a G500 install. I see a lot of panels with dual GTN 750s where a panel mounted Aera would serve the same purpose and cost 1/10th but to each their own. The certified vs "non" certified aspect I don't care about at all, same software and similar hardware runs the Aera as GTN series.

I don't really consider Aero 796 to be "portable", plus I hate crap on my yoke, power and data cables and looking down. For all intents and purposes, it is a MFD and would greatly compliment the Aspen HSI display for a third the cost of a G500 install. I see a lot of panels with dual GTN 750s where a panel mounted Aera would serve the same purpose and cost 1/10th but to each their own. The certified vs "non" certified aspect I don't care about at all, same software and similar hardware runs the Aera as GTN series.

My issue is that portables change their form factors over time and get discontinued way more quickly than other equipment, which is why I won't cut my panel to match one...

In related news, anyone heard the rumor that the iPad mini may be discontinued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that would suck.

IPad mini 4 is being mysteriously discounted quite a bit these days, and no update to it in a while. Wasn't mentioned in last round of updates, and supposedly not selling well.

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Kinda like this?

IMG_2513.jpg

I like the engine monitor where you put it. My second radio is the KX155. It's a good set up.

43 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Wow KI-300 shipping in September 2017, that would be great.

You heard that too...right?!

And with the new ap we keep existing servos and get a 2 year warranty on entire system! 

You heard that too...right?!
And with the new ap we keep existing servos and get a 2 year warranty on entire system! 

For only $16,000 just to keep basically what we already have! Ok minus the vacuum and plus a warranty.

10 hours ago, peevee said:

the g5 won't provide attitude to the AP so you'll need to keep your king AI

So what's the point of the retrograde A/P adapter then?

Isn't attitude the most important parameter in controlling the A/P?

Many planes have rate based AP's. If they want to upgrade from a dg to an HSI the G5 allows them to keep the heading bug working. 

The G5+500AP will do everything you need but some individuals want to keep their current AP units and they will need a ki256/ki300/ea100/gad43 to keep it shiny side up. 

21 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Oh this is getting ooooohhhhh so complicated.  

@gsxrpilot  hi, i have to unfortunately remove my kx155 and 165 as they are not 8.33 and the garmin gives me so much more for almost the cost of overhauling and upgrading the 165 to 8.33.  I get your point on the 930 and have looked into that route but the 830 will do what i want it to do so ill go for that for now.  Flush mounting definitely.  I need twin alitmeters to be airways comliant over here and also twin radios.  Funnily enough i use the second radio for receiving atis and monitoring "london information", as it cant transmit as it buggered, but it is also useful to line up my next two or three frequencies in so i can just pop them up into box as required.  I am hoping the avidyne 540 and the new garmin boxes will alleviate this function with their think ahead capability.  

Hmm... I hadn't heard of 8.33, but it makes sense for you guys.

The Avidyne wired correctly to the PMA 450a, will allow you to create multiple standby frequencies and monitor them while using the primary frequency. It's really quite amazing and has almost completely eliminated my use of the KX165.

Ah thats interesting Paul, ill have to investigate that feature.
8.33 is a mandate like your ads-b all radios by 2018 have to be able to transmit on 8.33.  Technically mine can i just blast across the freuqency either side as well,
Ill have to get a good look at all this stuff and play woth it when im over for the summit.

You can take a look at mine at the Summit
  • Like 1