Introducing Dynon Certified

toto

Got an email from Dynon about this today. Certified SkyView HDX system (as rumored here and elsewhere). Apparently includes ADS-B, autopilot, primary engine gauges, all for $16k installed (plus a $2k STC). Promised integration with latest navigators from A and G. 

No Mooney types yet.  They'll have a 172 and a Baron at Oshkosh. 

http://www.dynonavionics.com/certified/

My limited experience with Dynon is in the LSA context. I'll be very curious to see what impact they have on the broader certificated market. 

• Like 1

"...The cost of the equipment installed in the initial C172 is approximately $16,000. This complete SkyView HDX system includes Primary Flight Instruments, Engine Monitoring, Autopilot, Mode S Transponder with 2020-compliant ADS-B Out, Mapping with Flight Planning, ADS-B In Traffic and Weather, Battery Backup, and more. It also includes redundant flight instruments via a Dynon EFIS-D10A."

Son of a...

This is unbelievable! 

Does anyone know what sort of ADS-B it has? UAT or ES or both?

I had the older Dynon SkyView glass screens in my DOVA LSA. No problems in the units except for a failed backup battery that was replaced at no cost to me. Many updates to software and hardware. - all free. Nice to see that there is competition coming for our avionics.

48b21186e14b986d7849df308764f804.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I cannot see much about this autopilot.  Is it a digital autopilot?  Envelope protection?  Straight and level?

Looking for the same info. It would allow me to move to "glass" using the GTN650 as the position source along with a possibly more capable AP than the Century IIB.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

That's great if you haven't updated your panel but if you have you are throwing money away and that's 18K plus installation will probably be around 25K.

Not sure that's entirely accurate. Dynon claims $16,000 installed price for a system in a C172. Can't see it being that much more in a Mooney.  

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but $25,000 installed is more in G500 territory but that would never get you ADS-B in and out, a back up AI, an EDM or AP so at $16,000 that's a lot of value for your CB dollar. 

• Like 4

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but for 18k installed this includes:

pfd/mfd, syn vis, aoa, autopilot, ads-b in/out transponder, engine monitor, battery backup, and a EFIS-D10A for redundancy?! Did I miss anything?

In Garmin language this is in excess of 45K for hardware alone. Installation additional!

What's the catch?

• Like 1

It's beautiful stuff

http://dynonavionics.com/public_html/yabbfiles/Attachments/SV-HDX-OnePage-web-082016.pdf

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B0i1GnWr7bKAaXNpTi1oMFc4SGs

And the autopilot is full featured incl a straight and level button but I think it does not have envelope protection.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, PTK said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but for 18k installed this includes:

pfd/mfd, syn vis, aoa, autopilot, ads-b in/out transponder, engine monitor, battery backup, and a EFIS-D10A for redundancy?! Did I miss anything?

In Garmin language this is in excess of 45K for hardware alone. Installation additional!

What's the catch?

Welcome to experimental.

Its as if the years of madness of the Faa keeping us away from quality modern experimental equipment is in the process of ending.  Yay!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, teejayevans said:

That's great if you haven't updated your panel but if you have you are throwing money away and that's 18K plus installation will probably be around 25K.

For my own mental health, I try to avoid stressing about the shiny new toy that's better or cheaper than the one I just bought. Seeing products with more functionality at lower cost is great for the industry, and I pay what something is worth (to me) at the time I pay it - even if it means financially missing a window for the next big thing.

I bought two GTX-345s in the past year for about $8k each (installed). If I'd had a crystal ball and an STC machine, I could have gotten a new Dynon HDX installed for the same money. But I've been very happy with the Garmin product, and I'm not second-guessing it even in light of all these fun Oshkosh product announcements.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

What's the subscription costs?

@Bennett probably knows first-hand, but the Dynon website suggests it's $99/year plus a one-time $500 license fee of some sort. 

https://www.dynonavionics.com/charts-airport-diagrams.php

"Through a unique Dynon-subsidized program, Dynon is excited to offer Seattle Avionics' geo-referenced Sectionals, IFR Lo and High, Approach / Departure Procedure Charts and Airport Diagrams (including thousands of Flight Guide diagrams) at unprecedented pricing of $99 per year. This includes both VFR and IFR data in one flat rate. Only one subscription is needed per airplane."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Not sure that's entirely accurate. Dynon claims $16,000 installed price for a system in a C172. Can't see it being that much more in a Mooney.  

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but $25,000 installed is more in G500 territory but that would never get you ADS-B in and out, a back up AI, an EDM or AP so at $16,000 that's a lot of value for your CB dollar. 

I don't think they claimed the installed price is 16k. To me the website reads the cost of the equipment currently installed in the 172 is 16k. That would make it 16+2 (stc) + install probably $5-10k (WAG). My guess is the estimate of @teejayevans is spot on. Still a screaming deal IMO!

[mention=7730]Bennett[/mention] probably knows first-hand, but the Dynon website suggests it's $99/year plus a one-time $500 license fee of some sort. 
https://www.dynonavionics.com/charts-airport-diagrams.php
"Through a unique Dynon-subsidized program, Dynon is excited to offer Seattle Avionics' geo-referenced Sectionals, IFR Lo and High, Approach / Departure Procedure Charts and Airport Diagrams (including thousands of Flight Guide diagrams) at unprecedented pricing of $99 per year. This includes both VFR and IFR data in one flat rate. Only one subscription is needed per airplane."

I sold my DOVA about three years ago, and at that time the charts (and updates) were provided without cost. At least that is my recollection. I look back and think about the thousand dollar plus annual subscription costs I have paid to Bendix/King, and Jeppesen, and by those standards, the new Dynon charges seem very reasonable. For what it is worth, I coupled the Dynon SkyView units with a TruTrac autopilot as Dynon had not yet introduced their own autopilot. The TruTrack unit (two axis) was superlative, and absolutely reliable, and service free. One of the reasons I bought the DOVA was to utilize low cost experimental avionics. Again at that time, two Dynon SkyView glass panels, with all the options available then, and the TruTrac autopilot, totaled less than $9000. I had a new custom panel created (even though was a brand new aircraft), and so it is hard to break out the installation costs for the Dynons of and TruTrac autopilot, but it would be far less than equivalent certified avionics. Yes, this was a fully coupled IFR aircraft (but the Rotex engine was not the IFR version - not an unusual situation with LSAs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I don't think they claimed the installed price is 16k. To me the website reads the cost of the equipment currently installed in the 172 is 16k. That would make it 16+2 (stc) + install probably $5-10k (WAG). My guess is the estimate of @teejayevans is spot on. Still a screaming deal IMO!

Their wording was unfortunate. Unless you're doing the installation work yourself, it's hard to quote an "installed" price. But "installed" has a well-understood meaning, and they should be careful using it if they don't want people to get the wrong idea. 

When I first read it this morning, I definitely thought they meant that the 16k was a drive-away price. But rereading it now, I'm pretty certain that it's referring only to the purchase price for the equipment and has nothing to do with installation. 

This will be a complicated install, and the $5-10k guesstimates seem like the right ballpark. We really are talking about a $25k investment, not a $16k one. 

• Like 1

Wonder what the price tag will be to install a set of Garmins to get the same capabilities as Dynon Certified?

And I was also reading 16k installed but I doubt it!

Let's see what Avidyne can bring to the table! 

BK is truly behind the ball in this game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Wonder what the price tag will be to install a set of Garmins to get the same capabilities as Dynon Certified?

And I was also reading 16k installed but I doubt it!

Let's see what Avidyne can bring to the table! 

BK is truly behind the ball in this game. 

BK isn't even in the game....