Avionics opinion needed.

The biggest difference is between the IFD440 and 540. I was at an Avidyne Seminar last weekend and everyone had the simulators and the IFD100 on their iPads. The guys on the 440's were struggling a little to keep up, but they were getting it done. The extra size of the 540/550 is well worth the difference in price. Unless it was a great deal it's hard to justify the 550 over the 540. 

By the way if you get a chance to ever take a Gary Reeves class on the Avidyne ifds, it is well worth it. www.AvidyneTraining.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

The thing the 550 gives you is a full AHARS. It doesn't seem that useful to me but then again, I don't have it. 

I have it and find it much more useful than the SV on the 540.

The biggest difference is between the IFD440 and 540. I was at an Avidyne Seminar last weekend and everyone had the simulators and the IFD100 on their iPads. The guys on the 440's were struggling a little to keep up, but they were getting it done. The extra size of the 540/550 is well worth the difference in price. Unless it was a great deal it's hard to justify the 550 over the 540. 
By the way if you get a chance to ever take a Gary Reeves class on the Avidyne ifds, it is well worth it. www.AvidyneTraining.com
@gsxrpilot is there any chance I could fly your guys planes around to decide what one I wanted? No more than a month at most:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, xcrmckenna said:

@gsxrpilot is there any chance I could fly your guys planes around to decide what one I wanted? No more than a month at most:)

Come on down to Austin. We'll go fly and you can check it all out. Or a little closer to you, I'll have it at Burning Man at the end of August. Come on down :-)

• Like 1

I've thought about buying his DVD on the IFD system. He only has the 440, I'm surprised Avidyne didn't set him up with a full stack.

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

I've thought about buying his DVD on the IFD system. He only has the 440, I'm surprised Avidyne didn't set him up with a full stack.

He now has the AMX240 audio panel, then the 550/440 combo, then the AXP340 transponder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revwatch said:

And you're still going to be cleaning out dust for days after you get back.  :D  Have fun.  Maybe I'll go one of these years.

Yep, but it's still a great trip. After I got home last year, I had every filter changed that can be changed, and had the plane detailed. I debated about going again this year but I'm providing a bit of a service to family and friends out there. There are a number of kids who've been going to Burning Man their whole lives but are now in school and can't take the whole week off. So with the airplane, I'm able to shuttle the kids in from the bay area and they only miss a couple of days of school. 

That and I had a great time last year, and so am really looking forward to going again. 

• Like 1

Yep, but it's still a great trip. After I got home last year, I had every filter changed that can be changed, and had the plane detailed. I debated about going again this year but I'm providing a bit of a service to family and friends out there. There are a number of kids who've been going to Burning Man their whole lives but are now in school and can't take the whole week off. So with the airplane, I'm able to shuttle the kids in from the bay area and they only miss a couple of days of school. 
That and I had a great time last year, and so am really looking forward to going again. 

That's when you ask a buddy that has a Cirrus if you could borrow his plane:)

• Like 2

So now that I've decided to install the AXP322 when we remove the KT76A there will be a hole. I'm told aircraft spruce sells new panel plates but I can't find them. I've looked up everything I can think they would be called. This is the panel cover under the transponder. I would like a matching one just bigger.

74573394910fb8d39be4538264d42261.jpg

47 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

So now that I've decided to install the AXP322 when we remove the KT76A there will be a hole. I'm told aircraft spruce sells new panel plates but I can't find them. I've looked up everything I can think they would be called. This is the panel cover under the transponder. I would like a matching one just bigger.

Try Chief, search "radio panel cover plate".

• Like 1

you can use .024 2024 t-3 alclad aluminum.  autozone textured black spray paint.

I see aircraft spruce sells it. I'll check to see if our local welding shop has any. Thanks.

Or whatever they have on the shelf at the Aviation section at Home Depot.

Lol, I couldn't even imagine the look on the poor kids face when I asked him where their aviation section is......

Just ordered his DVD.

01164c9674931ab8a8813cebb1586b29.jpg
76c6d09a5c46723a8f25dcf7f12c9fab.jpg8f2f277e757c2d2d9a329168f8c09524.jpg

It's a small upgrade compared to others but the work has begun. It was fun getting the seats out when it's still 90 degrees out:) I shouldn't complain to much because I had a smile on my face the whole time I was working on my plane...

• Like 1