File Flight Plan With Instant Response

I don't know if this is Foreflight or something new with the FAA but on my last couple of trips I file the plan and get an immediate Foreflight notification response with the expect route.  In the past it would take 20 minutes or so to get the expected route.  Does anyone know if something occurred with the FAA or Forelight to get immediate feedback now from ATC?  I am not complaining, its nice, just wondering what changed.

Russ

The change, if there is one would be based on how far in advance you filed. If over an hour it used to be the central ATC computer didn't pass it on to the system and the departure facility until 1 hr prior. But if filed under an hour from departure it's processed and issue to the system and facility without delay other than required processing time. No mention above with respect to how far in advance these were filed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've filed quite a few IFR flights this week and have noticed the same thing. But also, I've noticed that the "expected route" is always just what I've filed. So I've filed some very long Direct flights that I know I won't get direct and the immediate response with the "expected route" is just what I filed. 

For example, today I filed El Paso direct San Bernardino. That goes right through a bunch of MOA's and some Restricted. The immediate response on the expected route was direct. Of course when I called for my clearance, it was completely different. 

One other thing in the immediate response from ForeFlight is an expected squawk code. That has always been the code I get in my clearance. So at least that part works.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kortopates said:

The change, if there is one would be based on how far in advance you filed. If over an hour it used to be the central ATC computer didn't pass it on to the system and the departure facility until 1 hr prior. But if filed under an hour from departure it's processed and issue to the system and facility without delay other than required processing time. No mention above with respect to how far in advance these were filed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, could be, it was within an hour.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've filed quite a few IFR flights this week and have noticed the same thing. But also, I've noticed that the "expected route" is always just what I've filed. So I've filed some very long Direct flights that I know I won't get direct and the immediate response with the "expected route" is just what I filed. 

For example, today I filed El Paso direct San Bernardino. That goes right through a bunch of MOA's and some Restricted. The immediate response on the expected route was direct. Of course when I called for my clearance, it was completely different. 

One other thing in the immediate response from ForeFlight is an expected squawk code. That has always been the code I get in my clearance. So at least that part works.

Oh yes Paul, I forgot to mention it included squawk code.

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Sounds more like an acknowledgment that the flight plan had been received rather than the actual expected route.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

Where are you guys getting this squawk code info? Is this some additional FF premium feature?

Nope, it's just included in the email notification of the expected routing. 

It looks like this...

Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 2.45.01 PM.png

I used it for the first time today and I was not looking for a squawk code in the message.  It may have been included, but Clnc Del gave me one, as expected, although I am not certain it was the one that would have been included in the message, if I had noted it.  I was just so happy to see my route accepted as filed and within about one minute of transmitting it.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:36 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Be very careful with that, as the red text warns.  

I was flying one of the few planes at work that doesn't have the tail number blocked, so we get expected route clearances and squawk codes in the return email from FF on that one.  I told the FO to make sure we got the code correct before we took off.  The intention was to get the clearance on the ground.  That didn't work and the non-towered airport was very busy, so we decided to just leave VFR and get the clearance in the air.  We didn't change the transponder to 1200 though.  Climbing through about 2500 ft and clear of traffic we called to pick up the clearance in the air.  Yep, the code the controller gave us was the same one FF sent.  When the FO read back "squawking 1619", the controller asked how we knew the code.  He didn't like it when told it was a new feature in FF.  He read the riot act to the FO.  About 10 minutes later we were talking to center and got the dreaded "we have a number for you to call" after landing.  That next hour was uncomfortable.  The approach control supervisor answered the phone and wanted to know how we got the code before takeoff.  I relayed the story to him and apologized profusely.  It was interesting that he had never heard of ForeFlight or Lockheed Martin.

Edited by Greg_D
  • Like 2

FF has the skills to deliver...

• usable weather,
  •  transponder codes
  • expected route

Use caution with that, until everyone is on board.

We know there are short comings in the system.  Cleared as filed, still needs some verification as to who filed it when, or at least get a few points to know it isn't a left over in the system... not the one you expect.

looks like we are close, but if they didn't say 'squawk 1234' then, it isn't time to use it yet...

Sounds like having the code came as a surprise to ATC.  Followed by not understanding if you were already squawking a code he didn't authorize yet or something like that...?

This sounds like a great question for one of our ATC experts...

If we are departing VFR, and we have the official code, is there a right time to use it?

Great info, Greg!

Best regards,

-a-

That's total crap they had you call for info relayed to you, I flew to Green Bay last week onto a Detroit and to Wilmington today and each time I had the correct code provided, anything to save us time and pressure is good, I mentioned to a Detroit I had the code he responded you must have foreflight. Greg you happened to have dealt with a dick of a supervisor. Sad 

14 hours ago, Danb said:

That's total crap they had you call for info relayed to you, I flew to Green Bay last week onto a Detroit and to Wilmington today and each time I had the correct code provided, anything to save us time and pressure is good, I mentioned to a Detroit I had the code he responded you must have foreflight. Greg you happened to have dealt with a dick of a supervisor. Sad 

I'm sure there is more to this situation than we can see. I think the caveat is the wording used by ForeFlight. I don't think they say this is your assigned code, rather what you can expect. As we all know, these codes sometimes change. I think people like peevee who work in this arena can tell us why using a code that hasn't been verbally assigned could be an issue. I suspect there is a rationale on how these codes are created and perhaps there is a chance that the code could have been assigned to another plane.

I also think Greg's experience should be shared with ForeFlight. I'm sure he isn't the first nor the last to believe this is the code that will be assigned to them.

Well, this is truly cool.  I generally don't file in advance because I want to know what the weather is going to look like first.  The only choice has been a call to Lockheed, the flight plan goes immediately into the system.  However, on a couple of occasions, what Lockheed actually filed was not what I told them to file, with the result that an "as filed" route is not correct.  It is certainly preferable to be able to instantaneously file the plan on one's own, so you know what is in it.  I gotta try this next time.

I gave up on the third party filers like Foreflight and fltplan.com awhile ago.  File a plan 4 hours ahead, pull up to the line, and no plan has been filed yet.  

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm sure there is more to this situation than we can see. I think the caveat is the wording used by ForeFlight. I don't think they say this is your assigned code, rather what you can expect. As we all know, these codes sometimes change. I think people like peevee who work in this arena can tell us why using a code that hasn't been verbally assigned could be an issue. I suspect there is a rationale on how these codes are created and perhaps there is a chance that the code could have been assigned to another plane.

I also think Greg's experience should be shared with ForeFlight. I'm sure he isn't the first nor the last to believe this is the code that will be assigned to them.

Correct