G5 To Support 3rd Party Autopilots

TCC

Hi everyone, hope this isn't a duplicate of what's going on in the G5 thread.  Since I'm not yet an owner, I wanted to leverage the knowledge here to better understand what Garmin's announcement that the G5 will soon support 3P autopilots means for the Mooney fleet.

Short version:

G5 coupled with GAD 29B adapter expected to support the following autopilots:

• Honeywell (Bendix King) KAP 100/140/150/200,  KFC 150/200/225
  • S-TEC 20/30/40/50/55/60-1/60-2/65, 60 PSS, 55X
  • Century II/III, IV (AC, DC), 21/31/41, 2000
  • Cessna 400B,  300 IFCS/400 IFCS

Thanks.

It is a huge development...we can install the G5 today to replace HSI and/or simpler heading bug only instruments, and then a future upgrade to a GFC autopilot is that much easier. Unfortunately the G5 cannot replace the attitude instrument for 3rd party autopilots, those folks are still stuck for now.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, jackn said:

Glad you have figured it out. I haven't. If the G5 can output attitude & input command bars, why can't the GAD29B interface with my KFC150? Would make a nice transition to their new GFCs. 

It has been suggested that it's a certification issue and not a hardware issue.

In this case what I think I'm hearing that yes, the G5 will support the kfc150 for altitude hold & heading/Nav mode, but nothing else. Again, I'm confused. 

On the other hand, Garmin's GAD43e(for the g500) and ea100 (Aspen) were certified. So it appears the hurdles couldn't have been too bad. 

From a business perspective, I think Garmin would sell a lot of G5, and would leverage sales for all their other gear including their new a/p. 

Edited by jackn

@jackn If I understand your thoughts, you want the adapter to enable the full capability of the KAP-150 (coupled approach) and not just ALT/HDG/NAV.

I can see the rub in that. For some of the fleet it seems this will be a good, low cost option to gain more capability and for other parts of the fleet this isn't a complete solution.

What jackn is looking for is an attitude output from the g5 to work with his current AP. Nothing on his AP will work without this information because it is attitude based not rate based. The simple solution is to keep your current AI and buy the G5 HSI or buy two G5's and move your AI to a backup position (not legal if you have a flight director). 

Garmin said future updates will allow additional features for approaches etc. 

• Like 1

So from what I can gather the GFC 500 will be like an Stec -30 or century IIb with altitude hold - it will do altitude hold and the lateral navigation on approaches but no vertical approach path navigation?

... but the more expensive GFC 600 will not require a G5 and will do vertical approach path guidance?  

Thanks. 

So from what I can gather the GFC 500 will be like an Stec -30 or century IIb with altitude hold - it will do altitude hold and the lateral navigation on approaches but no vertical approach path navigation?
... but the more expensive GFC 600 will not require a G5 and will do vertical approach path guidance?  
Thanks. 

Nope, the 500 can do coupled approaches,

6 hours ago, bradp said:

Thanks. 

I think the G5 HSI with your current AP will be lacking vertical guidance initially but both the 500 and 600 AP's should couple. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read that the G5 HSI can be put into gpss mode to follow Gps nav signal with smooth intercepts, holds, etc of both Gps and vloc.    It says you just put your AP in HDG mode and the G5 makes the appropriate signals to trick your AP in heading mode.  Does this mean I wouldn't need to ever use my accutrak if I use this gpss feature on the HSI?

Sounds like you need it to have this feature for the certified version...

Make sure the description for the G5 has the certified stamp all over it...

The experimental version seem to have a lot of capabilities that don't exist in the certified version...

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/6/2017 at 3:47 PM, Browncbr1 said:

I read that the G5 HSI can be put into gpss mode to follow Gps nav signal with smooth intercepts, holds, etc of both Gps and vloc.    It says you just put your AP in HDG mode and the G5 makes the appropriate signals to trick your AP in heading mode.  Does this mean I wouldn't need to ever use my accutrak if I use this gpss feature on the HSI?

This is how I run my Aspen / stec 50. I have a GPSS button on the aspen that toggles between functions. The stec is left on heading mode for everything gps related. 

I also have the Aspen EA100 route.  In route you leave the KAP150 in heading mode and use the GPSS button on the Aspen and it flys the gps.  On approach I have to hit Approach on the KAP 150 in order for it to enact the glide slope.