Just happened to me

I've become a big fan of calling up the FBO on their ASRI frequency and asking them where they're ultimately going to put me, and offering to just taxi there rather than have them hook up a tug. The marshallers will normally put you up front initially for unloading, then move you. Having heard enough horror stories re the nose strut, though, I don't mind the walk from around back. :)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

I've become a big fan of calling up the FBO on their ASRI frequency and asking them where they're ultimately going to put me, and offering to just taxi there rather than have them hook up a tug. The marshallers will normally put you up front initially for unloading, then move you. Having heard enough horror stories re the nose strut, though, I don't mind the walk from around back. :)

A couple weeks ago I landed at South Valley Regional (U42) in UT. I had called ahead a few days prior to find out exactly where their transient parking was. Landed, self-fuel, pulled to an empty space nearby and tied it down. After that a line guy came over and asked if my parking brakes were on. I told him no, and asked why. He said he was going to move it later because they get helicopters coming in at night to fuel and wanted my bird well out of the way. I told him I assumed he was going to hook it to a tug and when he said yes I asked him where he was going to put it and offered to start it up and taxi it over. (It was a couple hundred yards away which is more than I am willing to drag the plane by hand). He assured me that it was no problem for him to move it, but I've read/seen the stories here and didn't want any part of that. So, after assuring him that I didn't mind starting up and moving it myself, I removed my tie-downs, hopped in, started up, and moved to where he wanted me.

Very nice FBO there run by the city. No fees if you get fuel which isn't terribly priced. When I went to leave they mentioned that they hadn't given me any fuel. I replied that I had done it myself when I landed and offered to show the receipt. They said that wouldn't be necessary, and then offered me some of the pizza they had on the counter. :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

Me too, except I call the prior day and tell them I'm coming and do not want to be moved and where would they like me to park. Even though I did this, on a long trip a couple of weeks ago I came to the airport the next morning to find my plane had been moved. I guess I'm going to have to make a "do not tow" sign and stick it where the tow bar goes.

I used to work for an FBO that had very competent personnel to tow Mooneys. I know because I was the trainer for five years and we never had a towing incident or hanger rash while I was there. Most of the towing was done by the experienced people anyway. All Mooneys seemed to have different and narrow tow limits and they were tested by the tow bar by hand before movement as policy. I will say that it helps when your tow limits are marked on the gear. I encourage all to do that even if you never have it towed.

• Like 2

Been though this already. I caught it on the outbound taxi when then the pedals went right down to the floor. FBO was good about it and got it all fixed up within a couple weeks and bought us southwest tickets instead.

Can someone post pictures of the needle and tow limit placard, or other such placards that seem to work. 

It seems that you would need a direct indication, and no one will take the time and thought to determine what 15 degrees of center really looks and feels like.

20 hours ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Does anyone know if the towing limits are exceeded will it damage the rudder controls? Or anything else other then the truss? 

PS. I had no choice on the tow, ramp construction made it mandatory in this case. Mine has the do not exceed marks and pointer.

Yes it will! I had it happen to me. The Horn Pin broke. We could not see a crack in the Rudder Control Tube. This is what happens. Most of the time the plane goes straight left when landing. If you don't catch it before you take off.

59726143a4f70_RudderBar.JPG.9dec2e0d03ed50495397c1774af47448.JPG

• Like 1

Landmark at RDU damaged mine. I don't have the extra stops and have heard that it's better to not have them because that just moves the damage elsewhere. 

As far as "having no choice", the FAA spells it out that you can handle (and fuel) your own aircraft. Granted, we've all been in situations where you understand the FBO is managing a somewhat difficult handling arrangement for busy events, et cetera, and we want to help accommodate them. If things ever get heated, refer to the following documents:

https://www.faa.gov/airports/resources/publications/orders/compliance_5190_6/media/5190_6b_chap11.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/airports/resources/publications/orders/compliance_5190_6/media/5190_6b_chap8.pdf

2 hours ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Mine has highly visible do not exceed marks and pointer. I also verbally warned them as they hooked the tug up. I believe they were trying to be careful, despite all that damage still occurred. No dents in the tubular steel, however other damage (see above) occurred.

The replacement truss arrived this am from LASAR.

Did you hear it snap? What led you to look for damage? 

Sort of an ignorant question ..... Does it mater what kind of tug the FBO's rampies/line  personnel  use?

I could see  how the FBO /rampies/line  personnel   could  easily  damage the Mooney  nose gear and steering mechanism. if  tow bar is attached to truss were you normally put the tow bar.

What about the  tugs were the nose wheel is in essentially a dolly? Where the  pivoting action is  about dolly  rather than  the nose steering mechanism?

James '67C

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Rookie said:

Yes it will! I had it happen to me. The Horn Pin broke. We could not see a crack in the Rudder Control Tube. This is what happens. Most of the time the plane goes straight left when landing. If you don't catch it before you take off.

59726143a4f70_RudderBar.JPG.9dec2e0d03ed50495397c1774af47448.JPG

That jackshaft is a Motherfucker to replace , You have to pull the interior , the brakes , the pedals....... Hate that one....

• Like 1