Show Your Tug

MBDiagMan

I am excited to have gotten a large hangar at the airport 3 miles or so from where I will be living soon.  My planes have been stored in two different hangars, one about 65 miles away and the other about 80 miles away.  I have never stored a plane any closer to home than about a 40 minute drive.  I AM EXCITED!!!

I flew the Mooney to her new home yesterday afternoon in the heat.  It was well over 90 degrees F and extremely high humidity when I got on the ground and was trying to push her uphill into her new domicile.  It almost killed me, and would have, had it not been for a kind soul who stopped to help.  It is apparent that I will need to make a bar and get some sort of contrivance to add some push to the project.

My Cessna is no problem.  It is a feather and very easy to move around by hand.

What do YOU use to move your baby around?

Another Mooneyspacer had some plans he shared with us 4 or so years ago. I modified them a bit but the result is below. A search on Mooneyspace might get you the original designers plans. I looked and don't have them any more.

IMG_0706.thumb.JPG.caa7aed5c9143c158c15ffec67bd3281.JPG

Upright.JPG

Laying Down.JPG

I have a C model, too.  I have access to a golf cart with a tow bar, but it's not that hard for me to push it in by hand.  Getting over the rails takes a little bit of momentum, but otherwise no biggie.  Fortunately, there is very little grade in front of my hangar, just a few degrees for drainage.

56 minutes ago, wrench said:

Another Mooneyspacer had some plans he shared with us 4 or so years ago. I modified them a bit but the result is below. A search on Mooneyspace might get you the original designers plans. I looked and don't have them any more.

Upright.JPG

Laying Down.JPG

Looks like Don Muncy's design, more or less. I started off with that and redid it to copy the powertow, more or less. Your cable and lock system are well designed.

my only beef is the lack of traction with the narrow tire. I couldn't find a wider driven wheel.

This use to be a basic power tow 35...than the frame broke,drive sprocket unweeded and finally engine seized than very hard to start...with parts from power tow and an 10 yr old new ,old stock elec start from jacks small moters,I ended up with this...I used a pelican box and 5000 mah lipo for the elec start...

IMG_3125.PNG

6 hours ago, wrench said:

Upright.JPG

Laying Down.JPG

Looks really nice ! How many teeth do you have on each gear?

He is using an adaptation of my original design. Mine has a 28 tooth drive gear and a 40 tooth driven gear. I do have all the plans for mine, and will gladly share. They are a little voluminous for this forum, but I can email all of them.

15 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

He is using an adaptation of my original design. Mine has a 28 tooth drive gear and a 40 tooth driven gear. I do have all the plans for mine, and will gladly share. They are a little voluminous for this forum, but I can email all of them.

Yep that is the ratio I used also. I kept the narrow tire to keep the ground pressure higher because the tug is so light. Sometimes I have to push down on the handle to pre-load the tire to keep it from slipping to start the plane rolling. Don, it was your original design you generously supplied me and I worked off of it, thank you again.  
Bill