I'm thinking of pulling the stratus esgi set out of my aircraft to replace with a garmin 335/345.

My eventual plan is to install 2 garmin G5's and eventually a GTN 6##.  As far as I can tell, the only way to do this without putting more holes in my plane

is to replace the stratus with a garmin acceptable gps source?

I'm guessing this sounds like an incredible waste of money? Ami I crazy?

Oh yeah I already own a garmin gdl 39 3d.   seeing as how I refuse to buy any apple products so can't use foreflight.

Edited by McMooney

The GTN650 is connected to the GAD 29 and then drives the G5 HSI, both G5s are connected together so they provide redundant support. They can be either an ADI or HSI with vertical/lateral CDIs. I also have a magnetometer installed for magnetic heading on both devices. My old autopilot is hooked and provides NAV only steering.

It's amazing what can be done today. I spent more on this old airplane then I originally planned but I also fly Gulfstream products and my old Mooney can fly just about as many different approaches that the G650 can.

Amazing to me!

Ray

Edited by Clipperpro
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, Ray!

You are going to fit in just fine around here.

Thanks for sharing the G5 details.  There is so much interest in these devices since they first launched...  just not a lot of first hand knowledge just yet.

If you are interested in a new layout for your F's panel, we have some interesting panel ideas around here as well... including various suppliers, paint ideas, layouts and other ways for us to help you spend your money.   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Appreciate your kind words!

I re-read and the topic of cost was raised. I had the work done at Daytona Aircraft in Daytona, FL, John Ward was the gentleman that helped me out. This was the second time they worked with me and I highly recommend them. The G5 pair installed was approx $7,500, I say approx because I had some other work done at the same time. That included equipment and installation (reworking the panel a little). I received the 2 G5s (one being also a HSI) Gad 29 and magnetometer, circuit breakers etc. I feel that they gave me a fair deal, they also installed the GTN650 combo, good people.

Ray

It's not absolutely horrible, but I really really want built in gps and hsi/g5.

hoping the g5 can interface with the brittain Ap.

my wish list : 2 g5's, a 430/650, new audio panel and new transponder. 

wonder how much I can get for my stratus esgi.

• Like 1

Having a HSI and magnetometer is really nice, I'm probably spoiled. You get a lot of information in a small area, I've only flown it once but I can tell that I will like more everytime I use it. 

Autopilot work is next on the agenda. I have a very old  Brittain unit with steering only capability. I can couple to the GTN650 but I still need to do some work. I have found the Brittain people to be very good to talk to and expect more work on the autopilot in the future. 

I actually called Brittain today, very nice people.  They sent me all the service/operation manuals for the Navflite-II system in my plane.

It seems they keep a complete history of their systems;  found out my system was originally installed in 1975.

Edited by McMooney

• 2 weeks later...